“Lovely meal, lovely place”
Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Framlingham
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stopped here for lunch, and had wonderful fresh and well-prepared food with good service in the light and airy restaurant. The menu was balanced and good value. I would highly recommend eating here, and will definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
David C, Owner at The Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Thank you for such a great review and for the recommendation.I will certainly pass on your comments to the staff. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Just a quick review as we only stopped for a morning coffee but just had to say how helpful and attentive the young lady on the reception desk was. The coffee was good too! Having had a little nosey round I would defintely return for a stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your coffee and that you were so well looked after. We look forward to seeing you when you come to stay.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

I'm extremely fussy when it comes to staying in hotels and levels of service. As an ex-hotelier I know how hotels should be run, and how they shouldn't.

We first stayed at this hotel last year, in an emergency situation involving a tent that wouldn't do what it's supposed to, when we attended the yearly Maverick Music Festival at nearby Easton Farm.

The new owners had only been in the hotel a week, and they let us have a room with decor that they considered wasn't up to their high standards, and once we confirmed it didn't matter to us, providing it was clean, had a shower and a bed, we were in.

This year, having put the blinking tent on eBay, we booked ahead to attend the festival and we were welcomed by the owners like old friends.

This is a charming hotel, run by people who care and have employed young attentive staff, who on the whole, seem to have a genuine passion for good service. A couple of hints to help get to five stars would be;

1. bar staff need to acknowledge and catch the eye of customers to indicate they're aware we're around - more eye contact and earlier engagement with punters when they arrive in the bar and are waiting to be served (it makes us feel that they know what's going on) and they should also be aware of who is next to be served. "Who's next" should never be used. They should know.

2. upselling - staff should ask if punters would like another beer/wine/something else ? Works wonders for your turnover

3. use our names - you know who we are. Gives a personal touch.

The courtyard can get noisy on a Friday and Saturday evening with locals, but hey it's a Friday and Saturday night - what do you expect? If you want quiet at the weekend, go elsewhere.

Food was excellent, with a great selection of local fare for breakfast. We also ate in the bar Saturday evening and the meat platter was inventive and tasty. We didn't care for the steak tartare, but there was nothing wrong with it - just our personal taste. The chef here obviously knows what s/he's doing.

Great selection of wines, plus local ales and ciders alongside the usual ubiquitous boring choice of lagers.

The room was large (three separate areas) comfortable, clean and quiet, considering it overlooked the aforesaid courtyard. And, bearing in mind this historic hotel was a former coaching Inn and is A Grade II listed building, there is little the owners can do to change the fabric of the building. If you want Holiday Inn, jog on.

Overall a quirky and fun place to hang out for a few day and we'll be back next year for the festival and to further enjoy the hospitality of David, India and their team.

1  Thank Phil M

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an in depth review and for your positive comments. Your feedback is certainly helpful and much appreciated. We will look forward to seeing you again next year. Thanks again.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Stayed in the Crown Last night and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. A little nosiy in the roonm which overlooked the courtyard but this was made up for by the excellent dinner and breakfast served in the restaurant. The staff were very helpful, friendly and professional - all in all a good experience.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the square.
1  Thank Mikey-G1
David C, Owner at The Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

I was very pleased to read your review and delighted that you enjoyed the experience of staying at The Crown. I am sorry that you found the room a little noisy. During this beautiful weather more people are making the most of it and sitting outside in the courtyard, until it is closed at 11pm. I am delighted that you enjoyed so many other aspects of your stay particularly the food and the service that you received from the staff.

I hope that you will return to us again in the future.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed here with my family whilst we were over for a family party nearby. We were welcomed beautifully at reception and shown to our rooms. Some members of my family had a room at the front which was absolutely gorgeous, only small gripe being no shower but there is one in the roll top bath. Our room overlooked the courtyard and was equally lovely without the 15th century character though. It was the hottest weekend so far this year and the room was extremely hot but there isn't much anyone can do about that and we were provided with a small fan. The building and pub/restaurant downstairs is stunning. We had breakfast the next morning with such wonderful service!! Nothing was too much trouble and the food was amazing. Reading other comments about the noise we weren't too worried about this as we did not go back to our rooms until midnight but when we booked we did realise that we were above a pub so you cannot expect it to be silent. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay and, perhaps most pleasing, is that you received "such wonderful service". We are fortunate to have staff who enjoy what they do, provide great service and do so with a smile.

Please do come again.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is the second time I've stayed at The Crown - it being booked by the company I was doing some work for. The first time I stayed there I marked it as average, and to be fair, I believe it had only recently been taken over by the new owners then.

It's really more than quite good now. The staff are very helpful with big smiles - and on the lookout, e.g., I was just browsing about the place when at least three staff stopped to ask if I could be helped with anything.

The food's pretty good too, and if you book using the midweek dinner bed and breakfast rate it's a bargain (you get £25 to spend on your dinner however you'd like to).

The only negative on this visit was to do with the outside area at the back - not the noise, but to do with those I found drinking there swearing and being generally laddish. I don't expect the owners can anything about this however which is a shame.

Room Tip: Room 2 overlooks the car park, and so while it doesn't have a nice view, it is quiet - being awa...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review, on the one hand I am glad that you found us "more than quite good", on the other hand we strive for better than that and continue to put considerable efforts into improving everything that we do. I do hope that your company will book you in again and you will notice further improvements next time.

Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Treated my boyfriend to a night here for the May Bank holiday, loved every minute!
The staff are soo friendly and welcoming, the package we had included bed, breakfast and dinner.
The food was superb, id highly recommend the eggs benedict for breakfast!
We had a standard room, I think it was room no.2 very pleasant, the bathroom was a little small but India explained they are still in the process of renovation
What I loved most was all the little quirky attention to details, the art work, the wall paper, the tea pigs....and the lovely white company toiletries, which I later found out was from the 'flowers' range
A throughly enjoyable stay in the adorable village of Framlingham, will be back!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Hollzypops

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. I am delighted that you and your boyfriend had such a god stay. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Framlingham
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa
The Crown at Woodbridge
#3 of 4 in Woodbridge
14 mi away
Salthouse Harbour Hotel

Been to The Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!