“Nice hotel, nice location,nice people”

The Crown Hotel - Framlingham
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Framlingham
Southport, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel, nice location,nice people”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed for one night with a work colleague whilst on business in the area.

Was a little sceptical following reviews read concerning previous owners who left last year but went ahead and booked due to its proximity to where we were working.
Any fears were unfounded as it is obvious that the new owners have worked hard to turn the place around.The building is a 16th Century coaching house and has been decorated and maintained to a very good standard. Three roaring fires in various rooms around the bar area and reception were a welcome sight considering it was -8 outside with fog and snow when we arrived.Furniture and decor added to the cosy feel of the reception,bar and eating areas.
A cheerful and efficient check in and we were shown to a twin room which was excellent, clean and warm with en suite bathroom and complimentary White & Co smellies, Good quality tea and coffee facilities in the room along with bottles of water and biscuits.
From arrival and checking in to departure the following morning I found the staff pleasant, cheerful and helpful. We had drinks in the bar area and a light meal which was great. The menu looked quite extensive and mouthwatering although we didn't have any of the main courses.
Good nights sleep on comfortable beds and then an extensive breakfast menu from porridge to eggs benedict saw us choose a full english which was superb. Served by Rachael who was extremely cheerful at 7.30am despite the fact that she had still been working the previous evening when we retired at about 11.30pm !!

Altogether a very pleasant one night stay in a very pleasant environment.Plenty of outdoor seating which I imagine is great in the summer months.
Booked through Laterooms 48 hours before, cost £100.00 for twin bedded en suite room with breakfast.
Thoroughly recommended if visiting the area and would have no hesitation in staying again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
David C, Owner at The Crown Hotel - Framlingham, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Thank you very much indeed for your kind review - I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay at The Crown. I have shown Rachael your review and she was delighted to get a mention - we are very lucky with our staff, both front of house and behind the scenes. Hopefully we will see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Family of six had a lovely meal on Sunday. We are local and have used the Crown for many years but hats off to the new owners who have turned the place around, the service and food was excellent well done.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ninskabeat
Thank you very much indeed. Please do come again.
Wrexham
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Old world type pub/hotel on the market area in this Suffolk town.
I approached the crown from the Market Hill road, but the car park is around the back, took me a little time to negotiate the one way system and find it.

The reception staff were extremely helpful and efficient and showed me to the room. This is by no means a modern hotel, but the creaky floors and uneven walls etc added to it's charm. It certainly made a change from all the "modern" chain hotels I have used recently. The downstairs has a bar (a proper one) and a restaurant area, plus some other rooms to relax in.

Locals use the pub etc and again this adds to the charm of the place. The food at breakfast and in the evening is very good and very generous with the portions. Nice selection of Real Ales as well. Tea and Coffee facilities available in room(Real Coffee for a French press)

Free WIFI was provided , although on one night it was a bit temperamental.

Only down side was the Shower was cold in the morning. However, When I complained, The reception staff offered another room that instant. When I came back that evening, they told me they were unable to fix it so they had moved me in to another room. I was very impressed with the speed and efficiency that they responded to a complaint/problem. They even knocked something off the bill, without me asking.

They seemed to genuinely care about the guests and desperately want to make each stay enjoyable. I would use this Hotel again if staying in this area. It definitely has a nice vibe to it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank aaedwa
Thank you for taking the time to review The Crown. We really appreciate your comments and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. P.S That shower is fixed so next time you will be able to have any room you choose.
Shanghai, China
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I fly into Heathrow four or five times a year and before settling into my hotel in London and a week or two of work in the metropolis, I head straight to Suffolk, for a little relaxation and jet-lag avoidance in the peace and quiet of an English country town. The Crown is my first choice and I have been visiting for a few years now but the Crown has recently been taken over by new owners and thank heavens for that!

This has always been a charming 16th century coaching inn but now, it has the advantages of the 21st century as well, the heating works, the bath water is hot, the food and staff friendly and helpful and the management efficient and accommodating . A cosy bar, good food and a comfortable, country atmosphere soon make the visitor feel at home. There is nothing like a friendly chat with a local in front of a real fire, pint of Suffolk cider in hand and a friendly Jack Russell terrier curled up at ones feet, to make one feel that one is part of rural England.

I hope that the present owners continue to sympathetically improve this lovely old inn and I wish them every success. I wouldn’t stay anywhere else in the district and look forward to a return visit very soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review The Crown. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay - we are continuing with our improvements so hopefully it will be even better next time - we look forward to seeing you then.
upstate NY
Reviewed November 23, 2012

After only 4 days, it felt like home! One of the nicest, most comfortable, friendliest places we've ever stayed at. Lots of friendly, personal attention but nothing intrusive. Room was lovely, clean and just excellent -- ONLY complaints are that the z-bed was very soft (probably not a problem for a child, but we were 3 adults) and the lovely, ornate bathtub - with shower attachment - was a bit too high for two of us oldsters to get into - but apparently this is not a feature in all the rooms so we'll just ask for different one when we go back, as I sincerely hope we will. We stayed in August so made good use of patio in the back and chairs and small tables in front. Friendly, comfortable bar used by locals, and a very good restaurant, which serves good, varied dinners at night and a fantastic breakfast (part of room fee). To top it off, you are right on Framlingham's market square, filled with interesting shops and a very short walk to St. Michaels' and Framlingham Castle, neither to be missed. I gather it's under fairly new management and all I can say is that they are doing it right!

Room Tip: The large room in the middle front (7, I believe) is HUGE and very comfortable (but has the high tub...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
What a lovely review - thank you very much. It was a pleasure having you to stay and hopefully we will see you again.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2012

After hearing really lovely things about The Crown since it has come under new ownership, and me being a big lover of Sunday Brunch, I thought it was a must to go and try the lovely re-decorated hotel, and I am glad I did :)
We arrived at 10.30 and seated in a lovely room over looking the the town square in a beautiful room with a bird theme, very tastefully done and had a lovely ambiance. We were offered toast and to help ourselves to juices and cereals by a very cheery waitress. The breakfast menu itself was brilliant and after a lot of debating I went with toasted bagels with scrambled eggs and chorizio and my brunch buddy had the pancakes with maple syrup and blueberry's (food envy ensued!) The food tasted every bit as good as it sounded on the menu! The only little negative for me was that the coffee was paddy and scott's and I am not the biggest fan, it is great because it is a local product but as a personal preference not the best.

I love that the hotel is so close to Framlingham Castle because it meant after a lovely meal we could go for a little potter :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you very much indeed for such a glowing review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your brunch and hope that you will come back and try some of the new additions to the menu.
Reviewed November 17, 2012

in the centre of the attractive market town of Framlingham.We arrived on a saturday and received a friendly welcome and quick check in. The room was fine and a camp bed (z bed?) had been put up for our young son. We were charged £25 per night for the z bed which is, we think, well over the top! The bathroom was clean but the overhead shower had broken so the shower handle had to be hand held. All was fine until about 10.30 pm when the bar patrons spilled out into the courtyard below. A real racket went on for about an hour. The following morning we spoke to the owners who were very apologetic, provided a discount and moved us to room number 1 at the back...a much quieter but smaller room. It must be understood that this lovely old listed hotel dates back a few hundred years and such things as noise preventative double glazing are apparently not permissible. The breakfast was excellent. We enjoyed our stay and would return but not at a weekend. We'd rate the hotel at 3.5 stars

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Scottysdad
David C, Owner at The Crown Hotel - Framlingham, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Thank you for your review, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. You are right that a Grade II listed building ,whose origins date from 1553, cannot have double glazing and therefore at busier times the noise can travel. With regard the charge for the additional bed I hope that you can appreciate that the £25 not only takes into account the provision of the bed, but also that your teenage son's breakfast is included within that price. I am sorry about the shower and accept your comments,we are in the process of updating all of the bathrooms. I am pleased that you have said that you will visit us again and look forward to welcoming you back to The Crown.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Framlingham
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,427 reviews
The Brudenell Hotel
The Brudenell Hotel
#2 of 4 in Aldeburgh

Been to The Crown Hotel - Framlingham? Share your experiences!