“The view is not worth it!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Restaurant l'Olivier - CLOSED

Restaurant l'Olivier
Cuisines: Mediterranean, French
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Mougins
“The view is not worth it!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2009

On 11 July 2009, my husband (who loves eating out!) and I were visiting Lac St. Croix and decided (after reading Le Guide Gantier) to visit l'Olivier Restaurant. The view is indeed magnificent. The waitress was very welcoming - which could not be said of the owner who was extremely businesslike and cold. We were shown to a table - all the tables are incredibly closely packed and therefore not comfortable. A party of French people who came in after us were served first - could this be that, although we are French speaking and have lived in France for 7 years, we are not French nationals? My husband ordered a Campari and Perrier....yet a bottle of bitters was served and duly sent back after the owner made a small fuss saying she had misunderstand – I wondered at the time if a bottle of bitters cost more than a small bottle of Perrier. My husband decided to take the 29.00 euros ($41.23) menu of 3 courses. I explained that as we were eating a 4-course meal in our hotel that evening and had had a large buffet breakfast, I could only manage a starter: the owner said that would be fine. I therefore ordered an entrée/starter of Tartare de Saumon which was priced on the menu at 11 euros ($15.64) and, because I was eating so little and therefore spending so little, I asked for a side salad as well. When my food arrived it was pretty to look at (but then in France most restaurants serve attractive-looking dishes!).....and COMPLETELY TASTELESS. It consisted of a small glass with some clear jelly in which was some tasteless salmon; next to it was a thinner smaller glass containing a green mousse topped with cream. The couple sitting at the next table to us had ordered the same starter as a starter – and it was exactly the same dish as I had in front of me. The salad consisted of a lot of lettuce leaves doused in bitter lemon juice. The attitude was extremely frosty and, as more people arrived, the room became hot and crowded. In fact, it was so crowded that when the owner took the orders and served the table next to us, she was practically sitting on our table! My husband paid the bill and it was only later at the hotel that I took a look at it. Instead of being charged the 11 euros on the menu, we had been charged double i.e. 22 euros ($31.28) for my starter dish plus 3 euros ($4.27) for some lettuce. There are plenty of good restaurants in the area with fabulous views - so I would definitely not recommend this to anyone - unless they are happy to pay a fortune to look at the lake under the eyes of its unfriendly unwelcoming owner!

4 Thank FrenchieMougins