“Somewhat Dissapointed” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Inn at Redmond House

The Inn at Redmond House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Maple Creek
The Inn at Redmond House
Ranked #3 of 4 Maple Creek B&B and Inns
Ottawa, Canada
“Somewhat Dissapointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Redmond House for two nights in September 2012. On arrival our expectations were based on the enthusiastic reviews of earlier Tripadvisor visitors. We were surprised, therefore, to be somewhat disappointed. Certainly Redmond House is a fine gracious facility, however, the quality of service offered is less than one would expect. The normal B & B introduction to the house was at best minimal, eg, no expanation of the operation of the satalite TV remote, where the drinking glasses were kept. There were too many things not available. For example, there was no map of Maple Creek although these are readily available from the town tourist information office. There were no suitcase stands, an almost universal item in hospitality rooms. It was not possible to heat milk for coffee at breakfast. No gluten free bread products were available for breafast. All of these things we have found readily available in earlier travels but, even when we asked for them, Michael was not able to oblige. We found the lighting in our room quite inadaquate: the bulbs were underpowered and there was only one bed lamp lamp. More importantly, the breakfast offered is exactly the same as at a down market motel, eg, Super 8. and far less generous than at a Hampton Inn. In our experience, one of the best aspects of staying at B & Bs is the full (cooked) breafast. It is below the industry standard to not provide it and not offering it at Redmond House is puzzling as it is served adjacent to a full kitchen. On balance, our judgement was that Redmon House is primarily a rather upmarket restaurant were the B&B function is secondary. As a consequence, it compares unfavorably with those B&Bs where this is their central function.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Larry D
Theshizow, Owner at The Inn at Redmond House, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
I apologize for your unpleasant stay. During your stay I was in the process of writing a guide for the rooms explaining how to work the tv (I had offered to show you) , where glass are etc. and they are in all the rooms currently. Being as I am in Maple Creek we don't have access to gluten free bread products, I wish I had known sooner and would have made a trip to the city to get your wife that option. As for the full breakfast, I had tried that at one time but working from 7am to 10pm wore me out too fast and I had to make a sacrifice in one aspect of the business for my health, unfortunately it was the breakfast. I hope that you will return in the future and I will take your criticisms and try to improve for any future travelers.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

We had the pleasure of staying at the Redmond House this past weekend. I have stayed at a number of bed and breakfasts over the years. Having said this, I feel this is one of the best I have stayed at. The house has great character and is very well kept. From the minute we got there, Michael made us feel comfortable and welcome in his home. The rooms are quaint and tastefully decorated. The bed was very comfortable and had a great night’s sleep. They have a nice selection for breakfast which is included in the price for the stay. The atmosphere of this fine historic home is something you would not experience at any hotel or motel.

They have a restaurant here as well. We stayed there on the weekend and the restaurant was closed. I noticed lots of comfort foods on the menu and some items you do not normally find on a traditional menu, like kangaroo burger, wild boar smokies on the lunch menu and crocodile appetizer on the dinner menu. It’s nice to find a food establishment that shows some individuality from the chain restaurant chains out there. I look forward to try Michaels’ culinary skills in the very near future. Judging by the great reviews people have shared on this place this meal should be wonderful.

I would not hesitate to recommend this establishment to anyone considering staying here. No doubt I will be back.

Room Tip: Any room with a queen size bed is roomy and quiet. Nice flat screen TV's with good reception and...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

The Redmond House was a beautiful place to stay with a great atmosphere! It's very modern, but still has a great vintage feel with excellent hospitality. Michael was away the night I stayed so the restaurant was closed. I was a little disappointed, but the town of Maple Creek was fun to explore and Wendy recommended a great restaurant, the Star, to try instead. Free Wi-Fi was available and the bed was very comfortable. Just a note if you haven't stayed in a B&B before, there are shared washrooms for each floor (2-3 rooms per floor) but it wasn't a problem. It was fun to meet the other guests at breakfast too, such great people! Overall amazing place to stay with a great reputation in the community. Thanks!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
SEDLEY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Such a comfortable sleep only drawback was the lack of air conditioning in the room. Opening the window did help once the sun had moved around the house although the wind dropped about the same time. Great options available for the continental breakfast.

Room Tip: Maybe a room on the 2nd floor would have been cooler.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Bromont, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Don't miss an opportunity to stay at the Redmond House B&B. Michael Morrow has done a wonderful job restoring this home. We were very impressed by his attention to detail, his friendliness and his fabulous culinary skills. Be sure to make a reservation for dinner. Such an imaginative menu, with everything cooked to perfection and beautifully plated.

I'm not a fan of B&Bs with shared bathrooms but with the cozy bathrobes, plentiful supply of fluffy towels and large well-appointed sparkling clean bathroom, this one was great.

Room Tip: Great photos on website will help you select the perfect room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Oregon, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

We've stayed in at least 100 bed and breakfast inns. Redmond House is among the top. It's certainly a pleasure to find such a pleasant accomodation and restaurant in such a small prairie town. We had a very restful two-night experience. What makes this place great is the proprietor, Michael Morrow, who is behind restoring this old mansion and choosing to appoint and decorate it in a very modern way that works well with the 1904 architecture. He also is a terrific chef who offers a seasonally-changing menu of quite a few choices despite his small venue and remote location. We dined at Redmond House both nights, and wished we'd been staying longer! And we spent a lot less money on both food and lodging than we had elsewhere for mediocre food and accommodations. Another reviewer mentioned the pretty extensive whiskey menu -- it's true. Nice wine list too.

Michael takes time to engage with his guests. And he is a very kind person. I'd had my reservation for months when I had to have unexpected knee surgery just a few weeks before our arrival date. I called to let him know I didn't think I could make it up two flights of stairs to our third floor room. He said the house would be full that night but a gentleman with a second floor room was a repeat customer and Michael was sure would not mind trading rooms. "Phew," I said, "I was afraid you wouldn't be able to move us." Then Michael said, "If that had happened, I would have found you another place to stay." Talk about go the extra mile! Our stay at Redmond House was a highlight of our 20-day road trip.

If Redmond House had private bathrooms and served a full breakfast it would be at the top of my B&B list.

Sally-Jo Bowman
Springfield, Oregon

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

This town was only about 8 k off the highway and Mike was more than happy to donate a couple rooms for our ride and feed us well with a cold breakfast in the morning! But what is REALLY neat about this place is that they serve exotic foods such as Wild Boar, Kangaroo, Aligator, Deer etc on their dinner menu during the week! I will be sure to come back soon!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business