“Beautiful view, average food” 3 of 5 bubbles

Szent Orban
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Velence
Cuisines: Central European, Hungarian, European
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful view, average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant is at a beautiful location with a panoramic view on Velence lake.
The food is basic canteen food, very average quality.

• Visited August 2013

• Hungarian first
“Lovely place with great atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We found the place accidentaly when one of our friends showed us the viewpoint just above the place. Next time when we were around we visited the place. We were quite late in the evening (we did not planned the visit - just popped into my mind that this is something I planned to visit last time), but we felt ourself as a guest, we were not chased by the staff.

The view is amazing from the terrace, inside it is comfortable and stylish, it has a kind of wintergarden / cellar feeling inside ... also the garden of the place is just beautiful. Finally we sit inside as evening was quite cold to our summer clothes, but at the end I sit out for a cigar and enjoyed the breathetaking view!

They have a quite wide variety of foods, from the traditional Hungarians, through some mediterranean and international dishes. My vote was for the game dishes - something ike vension with cranberry ... to me it was just a bit too sweet and fruity, but this is more thanks to my taste not really the food quality. Maybe next time I try something more "manlike". My partner had stuffed chicken, meat was really well seasoned, vegetables were fresh - she definitely liked it.

Staff was helpful and professional through the whole time, at the end we had some friendly discussion about the history of the place (which I thought it is more extensive anyway).

Bottom line: this is a romantic place, ideal for couples, food does not really give you a special gourmet experience, but it is all OK in it's best meaning. Around the lake you cannot find any better place than this one. I recommend to all who visit the Velence area and want to spend a good lunch / dinner in perfect atmosphere.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank JagmanNoble
Krakow, Poland
“Best place in the area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

Definitely the best place in the Velence area.

The view from the terrace is breathtaking - you can see most of the Velence lake from there. The restaurant is located in a nice garden, full of fragrant flowers and herbs. The staff is professional and very friendly.

They offer a great selection of Hungarian cuisine classics, like goulash soup and Gundel palacsinta, all in great quality. Wild game is definitely worth trying - they really know how to prepare it. My wild boar with forest fruit was really delicious. The choice of fish is also nice - try the carp, this fish is definitely underrated.

The wine they serve has also exceelent price to value ration - Chardonnay from Csobor Pince we tried was outstanding. The restaurant has also a choice of bio-wines.

We hardly ever go the same place twice day by day, but this time we did it and we do not regret - good value for money.

• Visited April 2012