“Finally had to leave”
Review of Fergie's Cafe

Fergie's Cafe
Cuisines: Cafe, Canadian, Healthy
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Scenic view
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout
Description: Fergie's Cafe is open daily for fabulous breakfasts and lunches. Relax on our sun-drenched deck and enjoy the fabulous views of mount Alpha whilst you feast on fresh, locally-sourced and lovingly prepared food. Why "Fergie's"? Well, before Sunwolf ever existed, it was a very well-known fishing hotspot called Fergie's Lodge. Fishermen came from all over BC and northwestern Washington to fish the Cheakamus, Squamish and Ashlu rivers for Salmon, Steelhead and Char. Today, people are still coming to these rivers for the fishing, so why not give them something to relate to? Fergie's Cafe it is!
Squamish, Canada
“Finally had to leave”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I am Squamish local and Fergies was recommened to me by another local. I fell in love with the atmosphere and the menu looked great. I placed my order for two Skipper Breakfasts, paid and grabbed my coffee and waited, and waited and then waited some more after 50 minutes I checked with a server to see how much longer it would be. I was told 5 minutes. After another 20 minutes I went back in and asked for my money back. There was still 3 tables ahead of us yet to get their food. This is the first time I have ever had ask for my money back due to lack of food. Yes it was Sunday, Yes it was busy but having worked in kitchens for many years I know how long it takes to knock out 2 eggs, homefries and sausage..I was very dissapointed because the food that did come out to other tables looked and smelled great. Really poor service.

• Visited June 2013
SunwolfBC, Owner at Fergie's Cafe, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear cartmanCanada

I am really sorry you had such a disappointing experience at Fergie's last Sunday. You are right: it was a particularly busy day in the cafe and we also had to deal with an oven fire at the busiest point, which slowed things down even further. But we really dropped the ball on keeping you informed about the wait time for food, and there is no excuse for that. I have met with our whole cafe team to talk about the wait times on a Sunday and how we can do better at keeping people informed.

It's a real shame that you didn't get to try our food. As you can see from our other reviews, our guests really do rave about it! Thank you for having the kindness to say that the food you saw coming out to other tables looked and smelled great. You are quite right that it doesn't take long to knock out 2 eggs, hash browns and sausage, and I can assure you that our kitchen team were pumping out the food as quickly as they possibly could! Our problem on a Sunday is that there could have been as many as 50 other orders ahead of yours.

Right now on a Sunday, Fergie's is suffering from its own success! Whilst the amount of food that can be produced from our kitchen in a given time period is limited, our seating space is unlimited! You will have seen that once our picnic benches are full, people just start laying on the grass! If we were a more formal restaurant, we would have a long wait time for a table on a Sunday but your food would come out in a more timely fashion: since Fergie's is more casual and people just start hanging out on the grass, that wait time for a table is effectively rolled into a wait for your food.

Another "problem" we are grappling with is that we are a desirable destination. If we were located in town, when guests saw a huge line they would probably move on to the next cafe. But since we have a beautiful lawn beside the river, most of our guests think this is such a lovely place to hang out that they choose to wait. Others have commented that the fabulous food is well worth the wait!

Although many of our regulars know that this is the deal on a Sunday, we are also trying to actively manage the situation. Firstly, as I mentioned, we have met as a team to talk about the importance of communication on the really busy days. We are also placing additional signage alerting people to the potential wait time. We are adding new lawn games and a map showing our guests where they can wander beside the river and nice spots to go and watch the various wildlife we have here. We are also adding new breakfast items that don't need to come from the main line in the kitchen, so will hopefully increase our output. But the only sure fire way to avoid the wait is to come on a different day of the week!

I would love a second opportunity to wow you with our food and service. If you are willing to come and try us again, please send me an email at jess@sunwolf.net so that I can arrange to meet with you personally and discuss your experience in more detail. We very much want to learn from your experience and see what else we can do to avoid disappointing anyone in the future!

Jess Freese

Vancouver, Canada
“Fergie's coffee is mush have!”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

It is probably something that you would like to do after the whole day of skiing or snowboarding: just relax with friends with a cup of great coffee. This place is the one where you can get it.

Visited February 2013
Squamish
“Unbelievably Delicious!”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

My friends ordered the pulled pork sandwich and I ordered the Dubline eggs benny. My friends said their pulled pork was delicious: tender, served on a fresh baguette that tasted like it must have been baked this morning. My Dubline eggs benny was outstanding: eggs poached perfectly soft, fried red onions, sliced apples, and bacon served over buttermilk biscuits, which I also suspect were baked fresh this morning, and topped with creamy hollandaise sauce. The hash browns were also really good: modestly seasoned with a hint of smokey taste to it. I'm not a fan of potatoes in general but I really liked what they did to their hash browns. Unbelievable!
Service was very friendly. Coffee was good. Seating was limited on this beautiful Sunday noon rush.
I can't wait to come back!

“Best breakfast ever...”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Amazing food...amazing service...in the midst of the majestic outdoors...
What more can you ask for?

Whistler, Canada
“Love the food and the vibe!!!”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Food is great! Had the Fergie's Hash - all Veggie! Cool place to find check out the eagles by the river! Best ever!!!