York Cottage
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Lower Langford
See available hotels
Winston Manor(Churchill)
  • Free Internet
  • Restaurant
Penscot Inn(Shipham)
Redhill House(Redhill)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed February 3, 2011

Visited York Cottage at the end of Jan' as part of attending a wedding at nearby Coombe Lodge.

With the long journey we had to make, we were unable to check-in with Bridget until after the Wedding/Reception, but this was no problem and she was extremely accomodating of our late night arrival.

We had what I would imagine was the largest of the rooms, with all the normal facilities one would expect, and a large ensuite bathroom containing a very large spa bath.

All was perfect for what we needed, and a good nights sleep was had.

Bridget was also extremely flexible with our breakfast timings (much needed sleep!) and nothing was too much trouble. Others have commented on the breakfast, which was just as they had described! An amazing and extremely tasty feast, and with a roaring fire adding further to this experience. Bridget commented that guests had referred to it as an "Olympic" breakfast, and her aim was to provide great food (and plenty of it! All occupants of this sitting were beaten by it, and a global thumbs up was given.

Although York Cottage was just what we needed, I have to say it was the Welcome and work that Bridget puts into it that makes it for me. If I were to travel to this part of the country again, I would definitely rebook.

Well done Bridget (and Mungo!)

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2010

From the moment we made the booking over the phone with Bridget, the owner of the B&B, we had a very good feeling about staying at York Cottage. Our experience certainly lived up to the reviews we had read on Trip Advisor and we would most definitely recommend York Cottage.

We stayed at York Cottage for one night at the end of November, just as the extremely cold snap was beginning. It was lovely and warm in cottage and we received a very warm welcome from Bridget (and Mungo of course!). Bridget made our stay an excellent one and really couldn’t do enough for us, even helping us out in our time of need when we couldn’t get a taxi to the wedding venue we were attending. She is a fantastic host and strikes the right balance between being available to help you and giving you the space, privacy and time to relax.

We booked a double room and were very pleased to be upgraded to the largest of the rooms when we arrived. The room was very well equipped, the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was very nice and clean with a luxurious spa bath. The room had tea and coffee making facilities and we were very impressed with the home made chocolate cake that Bridget had provided – a very nice touch indeed! We enjoyed a very peaceful night and the cottage provides for a very quiet rest.

Finally I must mention the breakfast. The morning outside temperatures had dipped to around -7C but it was lovely and warm in the cottage and when we entered the dining room for breakfast we were delighted to see a roaring open fire. Having breakfast by the open fire and in this lovely country cottage was a real treat and the breakfast was absolutely fantastic! Once again Bridget couldn’t do enough for us at breakfast time and we were spoilt for choice. I mentioned to Bridget at the time and I will say it here that it was quite possibly the best cooked breakfast I have ever had.

Overall we very much enjoyed our short stay at York Cottage. We only wished we could have stayed longer. Maybe next time!! If you want peace and quiet in a lovely country setting with a very accommodating host and very comfortable accommodation, then York Cottage is the place for you.

Thanks again to Bridget for a lovely stay!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2010

We loved this very pretty and homely country accommodation. There was a warm welcome on arrival especially from the resident dogs! The food served was excellent and plentiful and the rooms were very comfortable. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2010

....was a no brainer, lovely cottage, lovely hostess, dog friendly, good food, charming garden...we'll be back again!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2010

With a business project locally, I stayed with Bridget many times over a four month period, from April until July. Travelling with my dog, York Cottage was absolutely perfect, Bridget is passionate about dogs (she's passionate about everything!) and there are fabulous walks all around (only 5 minutes from the Mendips). Definitely the best breakfast I have had anywhere, ever! All of the rooms are lovely (I think I stayed in everyone over the 4 months I was working in the area) - Whether you're a dog owner or not, if you're staying in the area, stay here; you'll love it!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business