“What a bargain”

The Crown, Stoke By Nayland
SWINDON
“What a bargain”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stayed for 1 night on business and paid £50.00 room only from Booking.com, could not have complained at double that price. Excellent room & bathroom with nice touches such as a cafetierre for real coffee & a pot of fresh milk. Lovely food in the pub/restaurant and a breakfast that meant i didn't need to eat for the rest of the day.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
RMSunderland, Owner at The Crown, Stoke By Nayland, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Depending on availability, there are indeed last minute bargains to be had here from time to time and it's worth phoning us to see what we can offer. As you rightly say, even our normal Bed & Breakfast rates are excellent value so it's always a good time to book a visit to The Crown.
I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were lucky enough to win an night in this lovely hotel, nestling in the Countryside on the North Essex/South Suffolk border at an auction held at my daughter's school Summer Ball. What a treat! Although it's only about 20 miles from where we live we felt like we had completely escaped.
We had a deluxe room which was spacious and beautifully furnished. The bed was King size and very comfortable with gorgeous linens.
We dined in the restaurant in the evening for dinner where the selection was varied. Every dish had a suggested wine to go with it so as we didn't have to drive we decided to go the whole hog. All the wines were served by the glass so my fiancé and I could each enjoy the wine recommended for each dish whilst not having to both have fish or meat etc. We also had the recommended dessert wine. The whole meal was absolutely delicious, I wouldn't have changed a thing.
Breakfast the following morning was also a real treat with lots of things to choose. The service was also excellent. Would love to go again. X

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
RMSunderland, Owner at The Crown, Stoke By Nayland, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
What a lovely review and one that I don't really feel needs any explanation! That said, don't wait to win another stay at The Crown - we're always open and we have some great Hotel packages on offer! To plan your next visit, call us on 01206 262001.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Just had a two night mini break at this Inn, via Secret Escapes. Very nice room although only Standard, large bathroom , nice complimentaries , nice decor and well stocked mini bar ( but expensive!) it is really a pub with 11 bedrooms and a downside is you have to go outside to the bar/restaurant . The food is very good, well presented but there were many things on the menu I would not choose and I consider myself a foodie so that was a shame considering we had lunch and dinner there. The breakfast was served at the table from a set menu and was very good and varied. The bar/ restaurant is obviously very popular as it was crowded at lunch and dinner times and there is a good lively atmosphere but it was a weekend. All the staff in the bar and reception were very friendly and helpful making for a nice welcoming and comfortable atmosphere. My one disappointment was on asking if Afternoon Tea was served was directed to the bar gaily expecting the works ie sandwiches, cakes, scones etc to be presented with a pot of tea and one biscuit! Could have had that in our room and not had to pay! But all in all a nice break

Room Tip: I asked for a room on the ground floor as I have mobility problems so missed out on an upgrade which...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm very glad that the bedroom was to your liking - for those with mobility issues, Room 108 is well equipped with level wet room and the additional benefit of a lovely little terrace. All our rooms come with well-stocked minibars which are, in fact, charged at normal bar prices with no in-house surcharges.
I'm sorry that you were disappointed at the lack of formal afternoon tea. With our extensive breakfast, lunch and dinner menus to prepare, the afternoon is the time for the kitchen staff to re-charge their batteries - as you remarked, service is invariably busy and the chefs need to be on top of their game!
Thank you for taking the trouble to give us your feedback. I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to The Crown in the future.
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Went to the Crown for Saturday lunch had not planned to go but were in the area, I have been several times but this time family came with me, I have never been disappointed and was not this time, got there early, as it gets very busy, (good sign), food was lovely, fish fresh and tasty, good value, efficient staff would be happy to return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Brentwood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Crown for the first time Thursday night to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Absolutely no complaints at all about our room. The hotel staff, bar staff and waiting staff were all genuinely friendly and could not have been more helpful.

Dinner was slightly disappointing my scampi starter was unseasoned and accompanied by a flavourless mayonnaise. For main I chose duck,bacon and brie burger but what I received was a recently landed meteorite, and by happy coincidence it was served in the ciabatta it landed on judging by the charcoal covered surface of same. The duck lump had a density and texture of something created using a car compactor rather than a mincer, but in fairness to the chef it was actually cooked so it was acceptably pink in the middle, presumably the heat had as much trouble reaching the very centre of the patty as my knife and fork did. The absence of any chutney or sauce on the burger added to my disappointment. My wife chose the sea bass which was served hot on top of purple-sprouting broccoli which had in turn been placed on a bed of cold tabouleh, resulting in a pile of lukewarm culinary confusion. The menu while not being extensive reads well and is very fairly priced. The wine list is exceptional and very reasonably priced.

A very comfortable and uninterrupted night's sleep.

Breakfast was absolutely fantastic. A great menu with lots of locally sourced produce with some unusual choices. I had the full English which was one of the finest I have ever had. My wife chose the bubble and squeak with fried eggs on top. When her dish arrived there was a pile of bubble and squeak the size of Angelsey, it was huge, I am driving back to the hotel next Tuesday by which time she might have finished it. A gentleman on the table next to us had eggs Benedict which arrived with a slice of ham the size of a lilo. I think maybe the Hairy Bikers were doing breakfast on Friday morning.

We booked our stay through Secret Escapes which made it remarkable value. Even at normal prices the Crown is a good place to stay particularly if the chef has his breakfast hat on.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
RMSunderland, Owner at The Crown, Stoke By Nayland, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
I’m delighted that you were impressed by the Crown hospitality – comfort and excellent service are top priorities for us and you may like to know that we offer several different types of Hotel packages as well as single night stays.
With regard to our cooked breakfasts, we do offer an extensive selection to suit all appetites and would not want to disappoint those requiring a really substantial start to their day! There are also several delicious lighter options available. On the main menu, our duck burger is a recent addition and has proved very popular although, inevitably, something as unusual as this will not be to everyone’s taste. Similarly, our fish board changes daily to reflect seasonal availability with accompaniments created to suit.
We always listen to customer feedback in order to maintain our high standards and to make improvements where necessary. We do hope to welcome you back in the future.
Paradise Point, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

A great modern extremely presented small hotel with very pleasant staff. Situated in a very small lovely village amongst the rolling hills. The Crown restaurant was tops in every way, ambience, staff, food. The restaurant on Friday and Saturday was extremely busy. Breakfast was great too. all very fresh. We have travelled extensively and this rated as one of the good ones. It was exactly what we wanted in the English countryside and close enough to the villages in Constable country. We plan to return soon for another weekend break.

Norwich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

After grandchildren sitting in Kent we decided to celebrate my wife's birthday at the Crown on our way back home to Norwich.
The hotel reception was attractively designed and the welcome/service from the receptionist was all you could ask for. It was friendly, professional and nothing was too much trouble.
The room was great with all amenities, including a safe. There was also a small patio which would be lovely in summer. At first sight the bathroom was superb but disappointingly it was not very practical for us. We could not get the shower to deliver hot water both in the evening or in the morning. Also the wash basin bounced water all over you if the taps were turned on full.
The hotel is separate to the pub/restaurant and ideally it would be linked (it was raining, but umbrellas were available)
The pub/restaurant is tastefully furnished and has a a good buzz/atmosphere. We were quickly shown to our tables but then seemed to be forgotten about and we had to ask for menus.
The food was excellent and well presented and there is a comprehensive wine list. The breakfast was outstanding, the best we have ever had, and we are quite well travelled.
All in all we really enjoyed our treat, just a shame about the waterworks.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke by Nayland
The Mill Hotel
The Mill Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sudbury
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,041 reviews

Been to The Crown, Stoke By Nayland? Share your experiences!