“Côte d'Opale”

and 1 more site!
La Fermette du Lac
Ranked #1 of 6 Ardres B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We wanted a short break to enjoy the beautiful Côte d'Opale. This is a perfect place to stay and explore the countryside in this area. Nicolas is very accommodating and very friendly. He speaks English too :) He prepares a nice breakfast in the morning with house made jams and tells stories about the region. The kitchen can be used all day. It is possible to cook your own meal.
We stayed in the Romance room which is very spacious and has a nice bed and a private shower. There is coffee and tea available in the room.
We would love to com back in springtime when everything is in bloom.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen M

Reviewed January 7, 2014

This B&B is less than half an hour's drive from the Euro Tunnel and I'd definitely recommend it over staying in Calais/Coquelles. The building is lovely, with a nice lake view despite being on a main road. The breakfast was also nice. However I have given this 4* because: (i) we were only told after booking that we would need to arrive after 6.30pm, which was not that convenient for us; and (ii) the heating/hot water had a problem which meant we were very cold - understand this was not preventable (and we were given a 10% reduction as a token, although this may have been refunded because there ended up being 3 rather than 4 of us sharing the room) but it was still frustrating and meant we left feeling a little unhappy. However I would definitely go back if in the area at a warmer time of year.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lauren H
Nicolas L, Propriétaire at La Fermette du Lac, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Cottage Lake . I renew my apologies for the problem of heating and hot water due to the cutoff of gas, completely independent of my will, as you nicely written . I hope that the provision of € 13 seemed you sufficient even if I could not take into account the fact that you are coming to 3 instead of 4. If I had been previously warned , it could have been different ...
On the arrival time , I try to adapt to the expectations of guests sometimes welcoming at 11am in the morning or at midnight if they need. The day of your arrival, an impediment does not allow us to welcome you earlier than 6:30 p.m and I'm sorry that this could bother you. Therefore, I understand that you have not been fully satisfied.
However, I am happy to know that you want to return . I will then try to satisfy you better than the first time and allow you to spend a pleasant stay
I wish you a happy new year
Sincerely
Nicolas

Reviewed December 12, 2013

We've been to stay at this Chambre D'hote a couple of times before and always received a great welcome. The rooms are beautifully decorated and very comfortable. Nicolas, the host, is extremely helpful and patient with our less than perfect French. Unusually for a Chambre D'hote there is the kitchen - La Salle du Lac - is great with its hob, microwave and fridge freezer. You can either make a meal for yourself or bring one with you to heat up. Drop Nicolas an e-mail - he'll even respond in English!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barrie G
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Stayed here for one night on a work trip - Nicolas was very welcoming and gave me lots of useful info, including good places to eat in the local area. It's a nice, quiet place with plenty of charm and is especially handy if you are traveling on the Euro tunnel which is only about 15 mins away and easy to navigate to. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Paul C
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Like others, I would have preferred to keep this little treasure a secret, but the proprietor deserves praise for his lovely conversion of old farm buildings. Beautifully decorated and furnished, comfortable bed, lovely shower room. With a kettle etc so you can make a drink.
Breakfast (French toast/eggy bread) was cooked by the proprietor, with coffee, tea, breads & excellent selection of home-made jams, taken in the 'cuisine' overlooking the lake.

Plenty of parking (don't run over the chicken)

Would have liked to have stayed longer.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cornish_traveller43
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I am so glad the Brits travelling to Calais have not discovered this small "Chambres d'hotes" which is so close to Calais and the channel tunnel, they don't know what they are missing!
Nice place to stay for either a couple of nights or longer. It's great to be able to eat in the room if tired of eating in restaurants.
The breakfast was very nice and plentiful, enjoyed the pancakes and the "pain perdu". The room was spacious and clean. This place will be put on my list of good places to stay.
Merci Nicolas!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 21, 2013

This is a great value, comfortable spot for a stop over. Nicolas and his family make you very welcome, giving advise that really helped to get the best out of this rural location. The previous reviews and the web site give a good idea of what to expect. We stayed in the "Nature" room. This is a large room upstairs with a separate shower room and WC downstairs. I am sure we will be back!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ardres
Le Chateau de Cocove
#4 of 6 in Ardres
La Cense Hebron
La Cense Hebron
#2 of 2 in Ardres

Been to La Fermette du Lac? Share your experiences!