“Deliciously above the average beach joint.”
Review of Red Road Cafe & Grill - CLOSED

Red Road Cafe & Grill
Cuisines: Native American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

Excellent food and excellent value if you're looking for a menu that is a bit more refined than generic beach food. Not upscale/pricey either. My boyfriend and I had the Maple rosemary rotisserie chicken with each an alcoholic beverage and shared a blueberry cheesecake and the bill was about 50$ and it was delicious. Great location too with the patio right on the beach, perfect at sunset. The server seemed a bit inexperienced, but didn't commit any faux-pas and our order came in lightning fast! Would return again and again!

Reviewed July 5, 2014

The menu choices at this restaurant are higher class than we expected for a beach town. We were just looking for quick and easy food on the patio. The food was good, and worth what we paid for it, but it seems not in keeping with the sun and sand...nor the table of young men with no shirts on who liked to swear through their lunch of beers.

Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

We were completed pleased with the experience here. It's a nice, clean, modern alternative to many of the other food options nearby.

We were seated and had our meals infront of us in no time. That being said, we were here shortly before the summer rush started.

The food itself was very good quality with healthy options and well-presented.

Our server was wonderful and polite. Perhaps a bit on the shy side, but create some friendly chat and the staff warm up to you to make for a really nice experience.

Vegetarian options available (salads, possibly the soup of the day, and a veggie burger)

They also have a patio right on the beach.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

my daughter was married on Saturday and the reception was held at the Red Road, I can't thank you enough for the wonderful job your staff did in assisting us in making this the perfect wedding on the beach. The service was second to none, extremely friendly, helpful and very efficient. No one had to wait for their drinks as the staff was always making sure we were well looked after as well as the food was great and served on time.
This is the perfect location for a small wedding on the beach, we were able to light lanterns and release them over the water and have sparklers at dusk, you made my daughters dream wedding come true. I would highly recommend your restaurant for any occasion, thank you so much

1  Thank Elizabeth M
Reviewed January 11, 2014

For those of you who have been coming to Sable Beach on Ontario's "west coast" (Lake Huron) you'll remember a lovely summer restaurant right on the beach called the Driftwood. A number of years ago they closed. We we elated to discover during our late summer holidays this past September that an excellent restaurant has open up in the former "Driftwood" called "The Red Road Cafe and Grill". This gem is run, if I am not mistaken, by the members Saugeen First Nations . We were in for a delightful surprise. Having spent a day at the beach we went then off to explore the region with the plan to return in the early evening to dine at the Red Road whilst watching the sun set.
The restaurant has been tastefully refurbished and brightened without loosing the pristine charm of this Sable Beach landmark. There are lots of sparkling clean windows to view the panoramic vista. A greeter met us at the door on that cool and windy September evening and brought us to a lovely table facing the beach. She immediately asked us if we wanted a warming drink which was very much appreciated and attentive. The menu has wonderfully inventive food selections that I would have been delighted to see in Quebec City, Montreal or Toronto but here we were on the edge of Lake Huron with the dilemma of what from their lovely choices should we select! There is a very interesting and creative items on the menu. I urge you to try the combination platter that contains a sampling of first nations delicacies. That evening we chose to begin with a subtle roasted red pepper soup bright and flavourful. Both of us are fond of fish when we dine out and our fish was broiled with light handed seasoning that didn't overwhelm the fish and permit us to savour it. Carefully prepared fresh vegetables complimented the fish. They were gently prepared with the slightest crunch.
Our server was a young Saugeenman who was very attentive in consulting with us about the menu and when I dropped my fork, it's replacement was immediately and quietly replaced.
The food was so beautifully prepared and presented and so flavourful that that we simply had to return the following evening! I confess that we loved the fish so much we ordered again, thus I'm unable to provide you further descriptions of their great menu. At the point that we visited the Red Road they were not serving wine, spirits or beer. For us, this isn't actually an impediment because for us it is about the food. By the time the summer season opens again they may have added this to their offerings. Please do not let this hold you back from enjoying this wonderful restaurant. the Red Road also has lunch fare like hamburgers on their menu that is perfect for their patio or to take back you your blanket down the beach.
In a addition to the restaurant, the Red Road now boasts a very lovely beach-side patio with tables and umbrellas to enjoy their fare "al fresco". We can't wait until the warm weather returns and we can return to the shores of Lake Huron and our favourite new restaurant. You will not be disappointed. I want to thank the chef and the rest of the Red Road staff for creating such an imaginative menu and bringing fine bistro dining right to the beach at Sauble.
Sauble Beach, in my view, is one of the top natural attractions in Ontario, now the Red Road at Sauble is a top culinary attraction. Thank you for two memorable dining experiences!

1  Thank Garnoch