“Dont waste your time with Smokin Gun”
Review of Roadster's Smokin' Gun Barbecue - CLOSED

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I, along with family and friends have dined at the Smokin Gun in the past and had great meals and great service. Something has defintely changed there and it's not for the good. This past Saturday 6 of us arrived at 6:30 for dinner. We were initially told they could not seat us together and wanted to split us up. When we told them we would wait, suddenly they decided to push tables together to accomodate us. The waitress that dealt with us was not very polite in dealing with us over the table issue. The specials that evening were Ribs and Roast Beef. Just prior to being seated, suddenly the waitress announced, "we are out of ribs". Once seated, we were told "only one baked potato left". Then when it came to order, we were told, "we are out of baked potatos and mashed!". The only thing we could have was fries! My wife and a friend ordered the hot chicken. My wife explained she could not eat fries so they offered to substitute rice. Once the food arrived (after a decent time) the still put fries on my wifes plate. Initially, the waitress would not switch up the rice until I insisted. My wifes and our friends hot chicken was stone cold and another friends roast beef was cold. My roast beef was okay but certainly not hot. The waitress took the three plates back and "nuked" them and returned. My wifes plate was still cold and she did not eat it. The waitress offered to "nuke" it again. If I wanted a frozen TV dinner I would have gone to the grocery store and bought a hungry man meal. The bill arrives and they have still charged us for my wifes meal. So I approach the front counter and ask for the manager. I explain to the manager the problem we had and to be honest, she was pretty rude about it. She finally agreed to credit my wifes meal after much debate. As well, while I am discussing the issue with the manager, some guy walks out of the kitchen staring at me wearing black Harley Davidson T-Shirt like he is some type of intimidation factor or something. Like I said earlier, we have attended in the past and we have even sent family and friends their, something has changed and it's not for the better. Will never be going back and would not recommend it again until they get their act in order.

1  Thank Brian R

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Please everyone, ignore my previous review of this restaurant from Jan 2012. I have no idea what has happened to this place. We first visited here when it was brand new. Our only complaint was there was no a/c at that time. Subsequent visits were alway good...service and food consistant. We had not yet visited this year, and decided with two other couples to make it our year end dinner out. We were greeted at the door with "sorry, we can't seat six of you, you will have to be split up"...kinda not what we wanted when going out as a group, especially since we won't see each other til next spring. My husband asked if we could just wait til a table was available...and the waitress said "well, if you want." At no time is there any indication of an apology, or any effort to help the situation. We should have just left then. We were seated in about 10 minutes, she pushed two tables together. We were then informed they were out of ribs, the only BBQ item on the menu, and also only one baked potato was left. Oh and no whitefish either. This was 6:30 on a Saturday night...it was quite busy, and the explanation was that they run out cause its late and it always like that by that time of night. OK whatever, if that is the case, make more food then!! We ordered drinks, and guess what, the beer my husband ordered, they were out of....and she couldn't even be bothered to serve everyone...just stood at one end of the table and got everyone to do here work passing the glasses along. It came time to order, and oh by the way we are now out of all potatoes, only fries are left. I asked for rice with my hot chicken.
The food arrived in good time, and again she stood at the end of the table and handed it out to the person on the end to distribute. This was not necessary as she could have walked around the table. Unfortunately both my hot chicken(served with fries) as well as my friend's hot chicken were stone cold. The gravy was congealed. Also another friends roast beef dinner was cool...we got the attention of the waitress and told her what was happening. She said "hand them over and I will zap them for you"...no sorry, or let me get you something else...In the mean time another girl shows up with my rice which thankfully was hot...but I don't have the rest of my meal. The 3 dinners are returned, and two not great, but better, mine still cold. So I had rice for dinner. Finally the waitress sees that I haven't eaten, and asks why, replying "well I could have zapped it again for you!" Thanks, but no. I have lost my appetite. She shows up a few minutes later, and still we never have heard the word sorry at any time. We are being charged for my meal unbelievably. My husband went up and asked to speak to the manager. She came over, and I told her my story. She immediately got on the defensive saying "I was in the kitchen when the meals were plated, and they were immediately sent to the table", so I said "Are you saying I am lying about my cold chicken?" and she replies, "Well, are you saying that I am lying?" I said "I didn't say that at all, but I think $13 is a bit much for a plate of rice and a glass of water, and the agravation of the whole experience, and the offer of zapping my dinner a second time was ludicris. I could have bought a frozen dinner and zapped it myself at home". I bit my tongue before my temper got the best of me. Customer service is definitely not on the top of their business agenda. She nastily said she would remove my dinner from the bill. I will be sure to tell all my seasonal Sauble Beach friends of our experience to spare them from the horror of this place!!

2  Thank Lisa R
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Dumbfounded this place is still in business.
Found their flyer while on vacation at Sauble -- "great food , great service, great atmosphere" was their slogan. All 3 were abysmal.
The menu contained NO BBQ selections. The food reminded one of a family restaurant stuck in the 80s. Canned corn and peas, a tablespoon of cole slaw, a tinfoil wrapped potato that was baked hours ago and an extremely bland entree that you wouldn't serve your worst enemy.
They couldn't seat 6 b/c they only have 1 booth that holds more than 4 people and the tables don't move -- my parents sat adjacent to my family of four. They have no kids' placemat or crayons or anything for toddlers while you wait an eternity for anything.
Unbelievably, the atmosphere is even worse. White walls, cement floor and nothing that would make you believe you're at a "BBQ" -- I guess b/c you're not. Some struggling artists have their watercolours adorning the walls, which look like postage stamps stuck on your garage door. The owner, I suppose, has added bows to the frames of the paintings -- perhaps a nice touch at a Retirement Home (...not really), but a bizarre choice for a "BBQ" joint.
By the way, you can buy some art for about $200 a piece -- I know know this b/c my 3 year old and I did a "museum walk" while we waited for a salad he could have probably made himself.
Do yourself a favour and BBQ at your cottage, campsite or home :)

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Great food, large portions, the fish was fabulous.... staff super friendly....Nice atmospher, easy to find restaurant, a little out of the way but worth the drive...

Reviewed September 8, 2012

clean, wait staff nice......food was not....only BBQ to be found was ribs....friend orderd them...not great.....other friend had liver and onions...( doesn;t take rocet sience to cook)...gravey good...1 piece of liver just browned and bleeding...other piece tuff and old.....i had 2 piece fish and chips....first piece good.....second piece dry.....don't get me started on the fries....frozen freezer burnt..nasty......sign on door says it may take longer to get your order because they have a small kitchen and every order is done fresh....well our salads weren't fresh came so fast you could tell they were made erlier in the day and just wrapped up, by the taste of them also......( hello cafeterria salad). three men arried after uu...2 obviously well on their way to being totally drunk...wiatress still served the 2 more beer with their food....even if they had a sober driver that is a big no no...even if there are locals...can we say smart serve...only good part of our dinner was it was clean and our server stephenie.