“Absolutely Awful - TIP - DO NOT PRE-BOOK WITHOUT SEEING FOR YOURSELF!!!!”
Review of Sauble Beach Lodge

Sauble Beach Lodge
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Sauble Beach
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
“Absolutely Awful - TIP - DO NOT PRE-BOOK WITHOUT SEEING FOR YOURSELF!!!!”
Reviewed August 8, 2010

When our kids were little our family spent a week each summer, renting a cottage at Sauble Beach and have come to know and love the area quite well. This year, with only our youngest daughter and her friend, we decided to go to Sauble for just a few days, which is why we thought we would find a motel/hotel for 2 nights. We booked Sauble Beach Lodge, based on the recent reviews on trip advisor and the pictures on the website. BIG MISTAKE.

BOOKING - requires 1 nights pre-payment or hold on credit card. I would absolutely recommend that this not be done. The owner wanted me to pay in full when we arrived before we even saw the room. I am glad we did not do this because we would have lost $450. I have now learned to never book without first seeing, with my own eyes, what we are booking into. I wish I had gone with my instinct which told me to not book, but go to Sauble and see what was available first.

ROOM - As it was the wekend, the rate for a 1 bedroom suite was $199. For this price I was expecting fairly decent accommodation - not the "ritz" but something clean and comfortable. This suite was also to include a full kitchen. The kitchen consisted of a very old small stove and fridge...nothing more. I don't recall seeing tables/chairs. Everything was covered in blankets...makes you wonder what is being covered up????

As older posts state (should have read the older posts - they are more accurate than these latest posts...???) the rooms were very musty, dirty and old. There are old rusted bed frames below the 2nd floor rooms as you drive up, and the 2nd floor "suites" look out over the driveway and dumpsters.

When we said we were not at all happy with the room we were showed to a cabin - it was even worse which I did not think was possible. There were no "regular" rooms available - maybe these are the ones that have been recently renovated. Certainly what we saw were extremely old, not kept up or maintained in any way.

The pool was cold and cloudy - didn't look clean. There was garbage littered throughout the property. Certainly an auroa of neglect.

LOCATION: The one good thing this motel had going for it...great location. Such a shame the property is neglected. This could have the potential to be a wonderful vacation spot.

We did not stay given the state of the accommodations.

We requested our "hold" back but were told we couldn't have it. We contacted our credit card company and are working to try to get the money back. I am not that concerned about the money - I am more interested in letting people know that this is not a place that should be booked sight unseen.

If you wish to contact me - please do not hesitate. I can recommend a better place. I would NOT recommend the Sauble Beach Lodge to anyone at all.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
10 Thank rhonad

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
GTA
Reviewed August 8, 2010

Nine of us stayed at the Sauble Beach Lodge for one night during our summer vacation. My advice: STAY AWAY. The stench is disgusting - a combination of sewage and mildew. The window air conditioners are held up with duct tape. The beds are like bricks. The water pressure is very low and stinks - again, like sewage and mildew. There was a large amount of garbage strewn across the front lawn of the lodge. I am ok with a "no frills" type hotel, but this was not even that good. I will never stay here again. DEFINITELY NOT RECOMMENDED.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank RoxyLolaGta
mississauga
Reviewed June 14, 2010

My friends and I decided to spend a weekend at the beautiful Sauble beach. We had been there before but never really stayed at this lodge. The lodge was located walking distance to the beach which was really convenient. The lodge was just recently renovated, very nicely, and a few of the renovations were still going on. The room we had was just great, nice and clean, spacious, two separate bedrooms for privacy with a nice clean spacious kitchen. It had everything we needed. The owners and staff were very friendly and accommodating.

I would recommend that if you are staying at Sauble Beach, to give this lodge a try. It is just renovated and reasonably priced and money well spent. We plan on going back this summer and will definitely be staying there. Thumbs up Sauble Lodge and keep up the good work!!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank jasonlee78
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 10, 2010

I went there from Calgary (where it's always cold) with my husband to get away from Crapy weather in Calgary. We wanted to getaway and we heard good things about sauble beach so we decided to stay at a place close to Sauble beach and sauble lodge is what we picked. From the time we called them to book the room and to the time we went their until the end of our stay, everything was amazing. Customer service was great, they welcomed us with great hospitality, Room was clean and literally less then a min walk to the beach. Swimming pool was clean and had a slide so even better. Overall expirience was great and we would definetly go back.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sim010
Toronto
Reviewed April 19, 2010

We stayed at Sauble lodge on the first week of September we really liked it. I been coming to Sauble from last 10-12 years in these years i stayed in so many Different places Sauble lodge is the closest to the beach it is very clean comparing to Sauble beach they have a wonderful pool with a slide my kids loved it. The staff was very helpful, the rooms were renovated we stayed in room # 10 with lake view i would go there again it was great experience.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank seem009
Toronto
Reviewed October 10, 2009

We stayed at the Sauble Lodge in July; and it was an overall good experience. The motel is literally located at a 2 minute walk away from the beach, and the management also provides good service [helping us to log onto the internet, providing extra towels]. The outdoor swimming pool was also very fun for our family, as it was very clean and also had a slide and a diving board. I saw one spider in the staircase in front of the room but none actually in the room. However, I think that it is a given that there would be spiders around the resort, because it’s a resort around nature instead of the city. I had vacationed in Sauble Beach the previous two years as well, but we hadn’t stayed at this particular motel, and there were also spiders everywhere outdoors because we were so close to the trees. The building was also a bit old, but you couldn't tell that by looking at the newly renovated rooms. We had a nice stay; I would definitely recommend the Sauble Lodge Motor Inn to anyone who is traveling to Sauble Beach.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank dark_knight_7
Ontario
Reviewed August 31, 2009

As soon as we drove up to the motel I knew it wouldn't be a great stay. Upon entering the motel to go to our rooms, a mustly/mildew smell overwelled us. The rooms were old and our friend's room had a slope in the floor. Mine and my husbands room was infested with spiders, at one point he opened the bathroom door and 4 ran across the floor. We decided to find another place to stay and as we were packing up at least one spider ran across the bed where we would have slept. YUCK!

This place is truly not worth the money they are charging, and we are currently working on getting a refund.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Best Western Inn On The Bay
#1 of 10 in Owen Sound
Kit Wat Motel Restaurant & Marina
Sauble River Marina and Lodge Resort

Been to Sauble Beach Lodge? Share your experiences!