Naze Marine Holiday Park - Park Resorts
Lifehouse Hotel & Spa(Thorpe le Soken)
$167
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgreat holidaylong weekendcentral heatingwalton pierevening entertainmentgreat parkweekend breakholiday parkschool holidayscaravan siteshop on siteswimming pool islovely caravanbronzebingoteamstarssparkle
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We rented a 'gold plus' caravan at Naze Marine over the Bank Holiday weekend. It was the first time I had visited a caravan park but my husband's family were caravan owners for some years at nearby Seawick.
I was not expecting the Ritz. We paid around £250 for 3 nights in a 3 bedroom caravan so it was a cheap and cheerful weekend as far as we were concerned.
I was impressed that the park called us during the afternoon to confirm our ETA and see if we needed to know where to go if we arrived after 7pm. Luckily we made it just before 7 and made our way to the caravan. It was a bit of a nightmare to find somewhere to park and although we were told we couldn't take the car to the caravan, plenty of people did.
The caravan itself was clean and in good condition although everything was brown! It made it look really dingy. Also, I have to say it did not look like the pictures on the website. There wasn't a proper sofa, just chipboard shelves with a cushion, no coffee table, no pictures on the walls. The remote control was missing. Not big things but we were a little disappointed. The caravan was also sloping at an angle. On the plus side, the bathroom was fine and the heating etc worked, plenty of hot water.
The main drawback for us was that the bed in the main bedroom was so uncomfortable. We could feel big springs poking through it (we are not 'large' people so it wasn't that!) and the duvet was woefully small. When both in the bed it didn't actually cover us up if one of us moved. I was also quite shocked about the width of the single beds in the other rooms. It was fine for our skinny 5 year old but a burly teenager would have hung over the edge! We ended up leaving one night early as we were both suffering with dreadful backache after 2 nights.
The walls were also paper-thin. I expected to need to keep quiet in there and expected some noise from outside (and actually the park was pretty quiet apart from the 1st night when lots of excited children were up playing out till almost 10pm and people were arriving and unpacking till midnight) but I could actually hear my youngest child breathing through the wall of the caravan. Reassuring I suppose but I won't bother with a baby monitor if we do this again!
We didn't use the entertainment facilities much. We tried to on the Sunday morning but they had had a flood on Saturday night so were closed much to our son's disappointment. We were also told by someone in the owners sales area that there would be a bouncy castle on Sunday which never materialised, again much to our son's disappointment, so we went into Clacton instead. We went to the clubhouse on the Sunday night for the half hour of party games and mini-disco described in the leaflet. It was frankly disappointing. The entertainer doing the games was leading games that involved the majority of the children being 'out' most of the time (to a backing track of music from cBeebies) and so our son spent most of his time sitting on the stage watching. The games were really a prelude to the bingo (updates on how long to buy your cards every 30 seconds from the entertainers) and we felt the kids were quite short-changed during our stay.
My husband also commented that the caravans were very close together compared to his family's caravan at Seawick. We were staring into the neighbouring caravan's living room and as a consequence wanted to keep the curtains drawn. We could also somehow hear other people's children running up and down their caravans a lot of the time.
The area is brilliant for kids. The beaches at Walton and Frinton are lovely and clean too. Clacton has the usual assortment of amusements. We had a good fish & chip meal there and numerous ice-creams etc. It does what it says on the tin and the children really enjoyed it.
We'd like to go back to the area but on balance would probably book a cottage or house if we could. The carvans are fine in some ways - living space is good for 4 but would be a squash for the 8 suggested for a 3 bedroom model - and the kitchen facilities were also good (we had a freezer that we weren't expecting) but the sleeping quarters really let them down. Park Resorts - invest in something other than the cheapest of the cheap mattresses and a proper-sized duvet please!
Oh, one other thing, we thought readers might like to know that if you put the single beds on their side and prop the mattresses up on end you can JUST squeeze a travel cot into the gap so you don't need to have it in the living room.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 9, 2013

The "three rules of real estate" are "location, location, location" and the location of this site cannot be bettered.

I have owned a caravan here for 18 months and holiday here regularly.

Don't be put off by earlier negative reviews. Yes, there have been some management issues in the past but these are all being dealt with and things have improved a lot recently. The staff are helpful and friendly and the site very well kept.

Walton-on-the-Naze is a lovely seaside town.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just returned from a great family weekend break at the park. If I had read the reviews prior to booking I would not have gone, so glad I didn't. We had a great Gold plus caravan, which was clean and well kept. The park itself was clean and tidy and (obviously due to the recent weather) no sign of the mud as mentioned in previous reviews. The kids (2 boys) had a fantastic time in the pool (not cold, didn't have to queue for changing rooms even though quite busy at times). Entertainment for kids (ours 5 & 3) was ok. Bingo between 7 and 8 kind of spoils the night if you have younger kids. That only leaves Amusements which are ok, but gets busy.
Spent every day on beach which is very close by, and clean.
I will definitely return.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dalbrom
Park R, General Manager at Naze Marine Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Hi there,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review for us, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and thankfully you had fantastic weather to enjoy the local beach

I have passed all your great feedback onto the team as they love to hear the lovely comments from the customers almost as much as I do

We do hope to see you again in the future

Reviewed May 1, 2013

We have just had a great long weekend at Naze Marine Holiday Park. The caravan was clean and tidy when we arrived. We took our daughter who is three and she was so excited as it is here 1st time on a site like this. She loved doing ballet with Sparkle on the Saturday morning. The food in the bar was good and lot's of choice. We used the swimming pool twice there are not really enough changing rooms and the showers were cold at the pool but this is only little niggle. Everything else was brilliant the entertainment team were great with the kids and everyone was friendly.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Zoe O
Park R, General Manager at Naze Marine Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Hi Zoe,

hank you for taking the time to write us a review, I’m pleased to see that you and your daughter had a fantastic time especially with the Ballet (budding ballerina perhaps?). We look forward to seeing you all again in the future.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

This was my 4th time at Naze Marine and thanks to Tesco Reward Vouchers it only cost me £14 for a 3 night stay. I didn't check out the entertainment this time but I ate in the restaurant and made use of the free wifi. Food was better than expected and great value. The caravan wasn't as clean as it could be but this was mainly the living room (which looked like it had been wiped over with a dirty cloth). I certainly left it cleaner than when I arrived. However, I didn't complain as this was a minor problem. I also found the grass very water-logged and muddy in places but it is like this at all these parks. It is quite difficult not to tread mud into the caravans but I always take slippers for this very reason. On a positive note, the ducks love the little mini lakes. Naze Marine is a great value holiday camp in a fantastic location (just explore the area from the Naze Tower along the beach to the quaint seaside town of Frinton). Staff are professional, friendly and caring. What more could you want. I am already looking forward to next year's stay.

Room Tip: Always pay extra for at least a silver caravan unless you are taking the dogs (who will love the great walks along the beach).
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank NannyBeach

Hi

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay here it’s great to see returning guests, I agree the menu in the complex its very good this year and the feedback we are receiving is fantastic. I apologise if your accommodation was not as expected, it’s a shame you didn’t inform us as we would have rectified this for you. The weather has been very temperamental for this time of year hence the fact that the grounds were wet in places, I agree great weather for the ducks. We look forward to seeing you again next year.