“Excellent wine tasting and dining experience”

Establecimiento Juanico
Ranked #2 of 27 things to do in Canelones
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed April 10, 2014

This top-flight winery provides an opportunity to sample -- generously -- several of the excellent wines of Uruguay. The tour includes a visit to the fields, where the varieties are grown; some of the wine was unique to the region. The meal features a mixed grill and terrific wines. Everyone was quite hospitable. The locale for the meal was clean, airy, and spacious; the table setting was elegant and appropriate. The grounds also were lovely and well maintained.

On this tour, there also was a tango dance performance in the dining room. Very enjoyable and not too long.

Tip: From our ship, we came from Montevideo to Juanico by a restored railroad train, powered by a steam engine. What a gorgeous and loving restoration. The track also passes some homes and countryside that one would not otherwise get to see. Highly recommended way to get to the Establecimiento Juanico.

2  Thank AthensBulldawg

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Serving beef to Nebraskans is always risky, but they had really good beef in a old winery. We were with a large cruise group. Views of the country side were neat, but my wife attempting the tango were in even greater. A good time was had by all...and that was just for lunch

Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

One of a kind experience if you're traveling around Montevideo.
The staff is great and all around the best.

The winery itself is gorgeous, they show you the whole process and explain in a easy/slow paced Spanish that even my portunhol could understand around 75% of it.

Just be carful with the drinking. The wines are really smooth, at least what we've got, and you can get drunk really fast.

I went in a kind of private tour with my fiancée. We were the only 2 at the 10 o'clock tour so they showed the winery only for us 2.
Plus they switched the order of the tour. They went first the tasting than the tour trough the fields.

1  Thank VictorSoares6
Reviewed January 21, 2014

My wife and I visited estabelecimiento Juanico on mid January 2014, and we had a great time. If you forgot to make the reservation, like we did, just call in the morning, because getting to the place is easy. But my advice is reserve in advance, so you can go by shuttle and drink as you please. My wife had the premium menu, and the wines and the food were really good. The staff is friendly and we definitely recommend this place.

1  Thank andremodesto
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The best parrilla I've ever had. The sausages, mollejas and the stuffed chicken are unbelievably good. And the top wines are really impressive...starting with the Preludio Blanco, tinto, Massimo Deicas and their late harvest made from Tannat. Reservation is required as the lunch starts at punctually 1:00PM.