“Disappointed by the lack of a historical atmosphere”

Leon d'Oro Castell'Arquato
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Castell'Arquato
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Hotel Leon D'Oro, Castell'Arquato

There is little wrong with this hotel, although the breakfast consists mainly of sweet things & the orange juice is odd, which does not suit me. It was served al fresco, which was very pleasant.

I was disappointed that the hotel appeared to be totally modern, yet I was told the building was very old. The hotel appeared to have been totally renovated removing any feature and character that would show its age or quirkiness. The common rooms were stylishly furnished with modern quality furniture and bits and pieces.

The staff was obviously pleased about its high class appearance and their service. I’m afraid I was less enamoured, because I felt the building and their service, though good, did not live up to their opinion, (though the price did).

The restaurant looked good inside but we used the outside section, which initially was quite pleasant until once the mosquitoes flew in. There was little protection against the mosquitoes, so I had to move. I think more could have been done to mitigate this problem. I cannot remember the food, though is was acceptable!!

The hotel advertises a swimming pool. This is several kilometres away and you have to pay to join a club before you can use it.

The hotel is close enough to the historical part of Castell’ Arquato that you can walk to it, albeit up a steep hill. However, there were parking places at the top of the hill should you choose to drive.

On the whole, although the hotel was good, I thought it overpriced even by Italy's standards and I was disappointed by the lack of a historical atmosphere.

Room Tip: The cheaper rooms are just ordinary.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
margheritadaPiacenza, Proprietario at Leon d'Oro Castell'Arquato, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Dear Guest,
I understand you, and I am very sorry!
Actually coming to Castell'Arquato, which is a beautiful medieval town, you can expect that there is a medieval-style hotel, and no one better than me, can understand the love of an old building! But, just from experience, I say that you are not comfortable for those who are traveling and expect to have the maximum comfort, with modern amenities: air conditioning, large size showers, hot tubs, windows anti hot-cold and anti external noise, hairdryer and light sockets where they are needed, dish for satellite TV, etc.. All this in an ancient palace or castle would be impossible, unless you completely distorting it, and honestly I would not do in my castle! Also do not understand how she could be confusing, because the hotel description speaks of liberty building completely restored and finished in the colors of sage green and dove gray, and has all the amenities you would expect from a hotel today. In addition, both external and internal pictures of the hotel are on our website, on the Trip Advisor website and on the website of booking.com.
Also on the breakfast buffet is the most sweet, because, apart from the pastries, cottage chese and ham, the other salty things are to be done at the time of request, such as boiled eggs, the omlette, fried bacon , etc..
As for the pool, this is not sponsored by us, but it is a private pool for agreements is available to our guests, which normally benefit especially when stays are at least 2 or 3 days.
I'm really sorry that you're disappointed, and reading your review, I was wrong too ...

Thank's for your Time!

Rita Gibelli

Reviewed July 28, 2012

This hotel is truly charming, very clean and beautiful. Anna and Alexa were extremely helpful. My luggage was lost and Anna went above and beyond to help me get some answers. The owner, Rita, was also most helpful. We enjoyed our visit so very much. The people were delightful, kind and very welcoming. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone going to Italy. English is not spoken widely in Castell 'Arquato,however Anna's English is excellent. I can only hope that my Italian would one day be as good.

We had a wonderful breakfast (included) outdoors on the patio surrounded by flowers. It was truly charming.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is a great hotel in the heart of Castle region. Rooms, Service and Food are the best. Easy to park and beautiful inside and out. Highly recommend this to anyone!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 21, 2012

The hotel is very attractive and the welcome was delightful. It is easy to park outside to unload but then it is necessary to find a parking space in town which is free as the hotel gives you a note to put in your windscreen. We booked a junior suite which was something of a misnomer as we had a relatively small room with a small terrace. The room and terrace were very comfortable but on the small side and noisy as they faced the square on 2 sides.
We ate at the restaurant for dinner which was very quiet. the food was mixed as my wife's fish kebab was frozen and over-cooked so not of top quality. My food was very good and the wine list is excellent and reasonably-priced. Breakfast is very good. Service is delightful.
We would definitely return if we did not have anything valuable in the car to leave parked on the streets at night, the room was better-described and we chose more carefully at dinner.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KJD17
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

Dear Guest, thank you for the review! I am sorry that the perch baked in a crust of corn did not like his wife! Surely the fish was frozen, and I'm sorry it was overcooked! The recipe requires a little cttura 'long, because the cornmeal to bake, so it can be browned on top and then put fresh tomatoes and porcini mushrooms. I'm glad you enjoyed the rest of the menu, wine and even the wine list! regarding the parking, we do not sno problems in leaving the car in the street, because we are in a small medieval village, very quiet. I wait for a next time!

Cordially,

Rita Gibelli

Reviewed May 19, 2012

Great hotel, staff were extremely helpful before and during our stay. The attached restaurant is also really good but be warned, the portions are huge!
Only negative point was the heat in the bedroom in the night . We'd come back as the overall experience was great.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2012

I have to agree with the other reviewer. This hotel is indeed a "rare gem". Located in the tiny village of Castell'Arquato, this newly renovated hotel is just about perfect! This is largely due to the incredible personal service provided by the owner and her staff. Absolutely first rate! The room, including the bathroom was almost brand new. Super clean and modern. Additionally, there is a lobby bar and a very nice restaurant called Don Ferdinando. As a special treat, my wife attended a cooking class in the restaurant kitchen for two days while I was occupied with business. As part of the class she went with the hotel owner to the local markets to shop for cheese, poultry and other ingredients needed for the meal that she learned to prepare. A very unique experience! The medieval castle itself sits high atop the hill within walking distance of the hotel. This castle and the accompanying village are simply magnificient. I have visited there three times over the years and I always enjoy a stroll within the ancient walls of this village. I highly recommend the accommodations and the superb staff of Hotel Leon d'Oro di Castell'Arquato. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony on the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank tlmassey
Reviewed January 18, 2012

The Hotel Leon D'Oro in Castell'Arquato is one of the rare jewels every one is hoping to find along the path of their travels!
Location wise it is perfect to explore and enjoy one of the most interesting areas of Emilia, and in particular the castles which dot it's countryside.
The accommodation is superb due to the high-caliber care of the noble Gibelli family.
Your stay here will certainly be memorable!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castell'Arquato
Hotel "La Maison de Vi"
Residenza Torre di San Martino
Hotel Elite
Hotel Elite
#2 of 50 in Salsomaggiore Terme

Been to Leon d'Oro Castell'Arquato? Share your experiences!