“Watch Out!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gimmelwald
Olle & Maria's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 3 Gimmelwald B&B and Inns
Alberta
“Watch Out!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

I had a terrible experience with Olle. On June 16/12 I booked a room for Sept. 24, 25 & 26/12. I provided a deposit of half of the total cost of this expensive B & B. On July 17/12 we had to cancel our trip. I immediately gave Olle OVER TWO MONTH's NOTICE. He would not refund my deposit.

We had also booked accommodation in 9 other hotels/B & Bs through-out Switzerland. ALL establishments were gracious & refunded 100% of our deposits.

It is clear that it is not common practice in Switzerland to keep a deposit when a booking is cancelled, especially With OVER TWO MONTH's NOTICE of the cancellation!

I view this as very poor customer service!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
14 Thank AlbertaCdntraveller

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We chose this place based on Rick Steve's recommendation. It is located in Gimmelwald, a small town located above Lauterbrunnen. It is a very convenient place if you want small and quaint, and not as busy a Murren. Its also very convenient to get to Schilthorn first thing in the morning. It takes longer to get to JungFrauJoch since you have to go back down to the valley and then back up, the the Swiss have the trains / lifts timed so well, you can catch the first train up to JungFrauJoch from Gimmelwald. You will just need to plan about 40 minutes if you want to get to/from Interlaken. Also, the lifts to / from Gimmelwald run first thing in the morning until late in the evening, so you do not need to worry about not getting back to town.

The town is a great place to visit and stay if you want small and quiet. There also great trails, which Olle recommended to us as well. Olle and Maria's place is super comfortable, clean and modern. We stayed in the double room in their house.

The main reason I'm not giving them a higher review is because I felt their prices were somewhat high and not 100% worth the value. I understand we probably stayed there at an inopportune time, and the hosts were not 100% focused on us (they were about to shut down for the month for vacation), but I did not feel they paid very much attention to us, and at times, felt like we were in their way.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend the apartment if you can get it. I didn't stay there, but if it was an...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Bemmybear
las_tortugas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

We just completed a 3 night stay at Olle & Maria's and the experience was wonderful. We were in their double room and our companions in the apartment. Olle suggested hikes each day based on current conditions and weather that were spot on. Of course, it's hard not to enjoy the beautiful Lauterbrunnen Valley, but my advice: listen to Ollie. He knew where the flowers were blooming and where the snows lingered along the trails. But beyond this, he was a font of information about local culture and history and a wonderful host. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank las_totugas
Saint Cloud Fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

We stayed here 3 nights. The rooms (2) were immaculate.
Our larger room had a kitchen, and we were able to save quite a bit of money by being able to prepare our own meals.( I think that if we had stayed in a cheaper place, and ate all of our meals out, it would have ended up costing more.)
I had a blast shopping at the little grocery story in the neighboring village for fun things to cook and eat. There is a farmer (she owns the cheese hut) that will sell you wonderful cheese, fresh milk, beef Jerky (kind of like sausage), and fresh organic beef. She also gave me tips on how to prepare it with spices found in the local market.
We enjoyed our time in Gimmelwald. The air was fresh and crisp, and there were cows and goats everywhere. The view was fantastic. We loved it.

Room Tip: Save money by renting the larger room with a kitchen, so that you can prepare your own meals. We ate...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Yarmouth, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

We chose this place based on Rick Steves' reviews. It did not disappoint. This is the only way to do the Berner Oberland. We felt local. The scenery was out of this world. I was sick one day, so I stayed at the B&B. I was sitting in the yard, surrounded by wildflowers, with waterfalls and mountains all around, just reading my book. Goats with little bells. The smell of hay. Cats that would want their bellies rubbed. Absolute heaven.

When I did get sick, Olle went out of his way to find me medical attention. It was a Sunday, Olle just called his doctor, and brought me to his physician in a neighbouring town, who was also extremely friendly. I still can't believe all they did for me. Olle spent a good 2 hours helping me out. I will be forever thankful.

I would recommend that you pick up some groceries in Interlaken before you head into the hills. We were a little food challenged. Our stupid fault.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gimmelwald
Hotel Eiger
#5 of 11 in Murren
Hotel Alpenblick Murren
Hotel Alpenblick Murren
#9 of 11 in Murren

Been to Olle & Maria's Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!