“Good gnocchi”
Review of Pension Gimmelwald

Pension Gimmelwald
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Gimmelwald
Cuisines: European
Description: You already list this as a hotel. I didn't stay at the hotel so can't rate it but want to provide this information: I wandered into Gimmelwald down the path from Murren and met the owner, David, hiking up the path. He is an attractive Brit and very knowledgeable regarding hiking and other activities in the area. I had a coffee on his terrace and later a couple of pints of beer while chatting with him and others. The view from the terrace is fantastic across the deep Lauterbrunnen valley to the mountains on the other side. I didn't get to try his food as the chef hadn't arrived yet, and I didn't see his rooms in the pension part, but this place is worth a try at least to sit on the terrace for a coffee/beer and enjoy the view. Rick Steves also lists it in his book on Switzerland.
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We liked the daily backpacker special that was gnocchi as far as taste. Were disappointed that it was mainly cut potatoes with highly acidic tomato sauce. Service friendly at most. Interesting that wifi is only for pension guests, not those just eating lunch?

Reviewed August 16, 2012

The restaurant is very casual, which is nice after a day of hiking the surrounding trails. The food was very tasty (we had the backpackers special) and the patio has a great view of the mountains.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Both have decent food, decent prices, good beer, good desserts and awesome views. We ate here our second night and maybe it was the several pitchers of dark beer, the friendly British staff and the other guests we befriended not to mention the spectacular weather and views and our hunger after hiking all day but we all enjoyed our meal here. I had the chicken salad with mango and avocado and my husband the burger, both were good. The mountain hostel is also good though. Gimmelwald is just a special place so enjoy it!

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Good eats, good beer, great views. Servers were friendly. We ate here both nights we were in town. In May, before tourist season kicks in, this is the only place to eat right in Gimmelwald. We're picky eaters and were glad to find this place.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

We stopped by for a quick bite for lunch and the service was horrible and the waitress was very rude. The food was mediocre and very oily. Wouldn’t recommend eating here.