“The price is right!”

Mountain Hostel
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“The price is right!”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Gimmelwald is an expensive area, and this place was a great place for the price. It is in close proximity to the gondola stop. Internet, a kitchen, refrigerator space, laundry, food, and beer are all available. The operators were very helpful when it game to hiking suggestions. The view from the deck was the most breath taking from our trip and the location to hiking trails is exceptional. We met great people and had a really fun night. There is a swimming pool available in the nearby (45 min walk or the next stop on the gondola) town of Murren where you can also find a market if you're looking to save some money. The common areas are full of laughter and chatter until midnight when quiet hours begin. Bring a towel and your shower shoes....one of the showers wasn't as clean as I would have liked.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Visited the Mountain Hostel in late June. I'm not sure if it was just the time of year, but the entire town had sooo many flies! Although it was a struggle for all hotels and restaurants to keep the flies away, it seemed that the Mountain Hostel made the least effort to get rid of them. I only stayed one night here and then moved to the hotel next door the following day.
Beds are literally shoved right next to each other, so if you roll over too far you'd be on top of the person sleeping next to you. Thank goodness the night I stayed there, there were not many people in our room. Unfortunately, though, I could hardly sleep at night due to the flies landing on me.
The internet was expensive, and you have to pay for a 5 minute shower in a co-ed bathroom located three flights of stairs away from the girls room.
Gimmelwald is an awesome place to stay in, but I would recommend staying in another B&B in town - others offered free internet and cleaner free showers.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 19, 2012

This place is second to non in views! The staff are great, and the atmosphere is amazing! You have to keep pinching yourself. If anyone is thinking of going to Europe this place is a must! The only issue was there is to much to do :)

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Bennymills
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed June 12, 2012

This was the highlight of my five week Europe Trip. There was such a good sense of community and the level of customer service was amazing. I loved the hike up to Mount Bryndli! The pizza was good too and I loved the kitty cat. Drawback: having to pay for the shower and there were a ton of flies.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Marie L
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Gimmelwald provides you with jaw-dropping views of the Alps. It's also a great base for hikes around the area.The surrounding mountain-side is also picture perfect. All in all, a wonderful place to stay.

While you won't go wrong with Gimmelwald, your mileage may vary with Mountain Hostel. Yes, it is a cheap place to stay (you do have to pay for the showers. And the WIFI.) but if you're looking for peace and quiet in the Alps, this may not be the best place.

Positive things first, though - it has all the cooking facilities (although the kitchen can get VERY crowded at times) you need in expensive Switzerland (though the nearest grocery store is a cable car/30 minute uphill walk away), a restaurant serving decent meals (which to some is expensive, but in the mountains - in Switzerland - everything is), a decent bathroom and a good common area and wonderful outdoor terrace.

Negatives (for me at least) - Beds. In the male dorm at least where I stayed, you will sleep RIGHT NEXT to another person. As I traveled with my brother this wasn't an issue, but if you are not comfortable sleeping next to a stranger, then be warned (there is a small partition so you don't see the person's face, but not enough to stop said person's hands and legs from wandering into your bed). Also, since they pack as many people as they can into a room, I have never heard as many snorers in one room since...ever. Since there are many staying in a room, you'll get a lot of people going in and out as well, interrupting sleep.

Noise. It's gets quiet loud in the common area and since our room was just next to it it was difficult to rest until quiet hour at 12am. Or so they say. While our first night this rule was enforced, the next night saw people chatting away until 2am. Overall, it was difficult for us to get sufficient sleep during our stay there.

Overall, you get what you pay for at Mountain Hostel and of course, your mileage may vary, but having had a much better experience at another hostel in a nearby area, I have to say Mountain Hostel does not compare favorably.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank DDsjh
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Mountain Hostel Gimmelwald is a place you plan to visit for 3 nights and stay a week or a few months.

The hostel is run by a fantastic staff. Petra and her husband Walter are very friendly and I shared many laughs with them. Nigel, their trusty and awesome side kick was a pleasure to get to know as well. He made the hostel a great experience and I envy his life there.

The hostel itself comes with a really nice kitchen. Stainless counter tops, big sink, top of the line gas stove, and a big refrigerator. I have been in many hostels and this one takes first prize by far. The bathroom is multi-sex, clean and has several showers. The showers are 1 Fr for 5 minutes, but totally worth is when you've been hiking all day.

If you're hungry or thirsty, the hostel comes with a great little bar and restaurant. The food is fantastic (everything on the menu), with the beer and wine coming at a great value. Other reviews mention the food is expensive at the hostel. After eating at several other places, including Murren (the village next door) and other locations in Switzerland, it's right on par if not cheaper given the location of the hostel. If you're coming to Switzerland expecting a $20 dollar meal on a $5 dollar budget, you're in the wrong country.

After returning from my trip and reflecting on my stay there, the memories and people I met there will last a life time...and I can't wait to return.

Angus Nicholson

Room Tip: If you're a guy, ask for the smaller guys only room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank angusn77
Bradford, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 9, 2012

My friend and I choose to backpack through Switzerland for a week and this little hostel was where we wanted to start our journey from. We were suppose to stay one night and it turned into three nights and we agonized over wanting to stay longer but felt we should press on to see the rest of the country. Petra and Walter are fun and gracious hosts who made us feel like we were family from the get go! Nigel helped us get our bearings as we had never been to Europe, never mind stay in a hostel. The beds are comfy, amenities are clean and the town is quaint. Hiking in the area is fantastic and we didn't want to leave. The atmosphere of the common room and restaurant is great and we hope we have an opportunity to get back when we can stay longer. Do not miss this hostel!! This is where heaven is.

Room Tip: Rooms are all dorms but very comfy.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gimmelwald
Eiger Guesthouse
#7 of 11 in Murren
Hotel Alpina
Hotel Alpina
#6 of 11 in Murren

Been to Mountain Hostel? Share your experiences!