“An excellant holiday”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Wilderswil
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
“An excellant holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We have just returned from another holiday spent at the Baren. We were welcomed by a charming young lady with a glass of elderflower champagne and whilst we met with our hoilday rep. our suitcases were whisked off to our room. We had requested the same room as previous years and the hotel obliged. The service in the restaurant was exactly as it should be with a very efficient maitre D. The food was of an excellant standard and any whim was catered for. It was a pleasant surprise to be offered a hot breakfast most mornings, as well as the usual continental. The Sunday started with champagne and smoked salmon with a cooked breakfast if you wished. this was a lovely touch. The Wednesday BBQ began with welcome drinks and nibbles, although it would have been nice if Herr Muller had spoken to all the guests and not spent a lot of time with some, whilst ignoring others. We did feel somewhat neglected, particularly as we have stayed here so many times. The BBQ itself was of a very high standard with a vast and delicious range of salads and starters. The meat and main course was almost too much, but scrumptious. The chef should be congratulated. All the staff were attentive and professional and the manager (Karson?) had a good sense of humour whilst doing his job. The rooms were spotless and bedding was changed twice during our week's stay...most unexpected.
The only negative comments were concerning the bath towels and bedding and other guests were of the same opinion. The towels were frayed and really not suiatble for a hotel. Our only hope was that as the season comes to an end these will be replaced. I wouild have thrown them out long ago. Although the bedding was clean, the sheets had tiny holes in them and some attempt had been made to darn them. Not really what is expected.
An information pack in the bedroom would have been useful, detailing meal times etc., especially for guests new to the hotel.
We were told that Herr Muller has plans to revamp the hotel and we realise that he cannot attend to all things that need doing at the same time. We hope that the charm of the Baren will remain.
Would we recommend it...YES. Would we return...YES and have aleady booked for next year. Well done all those who work at the Baren. We thoroughly enjoyed our week in Wilderswil.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a view of the Jungfrau, particularly special in the setting sun.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MidlandsDisappointed

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Just stayed here for a 4 night stay.

Rooms were adequate, very traditional Swiss, maybe a little outdated but always very clean and cleaned daily.

Breakfast was traditional Swiss and very good, staff were generally very friendly.

Hotel is in a good location, just a short walk from the station.

Generally a good place to stay with a good location of all good places, would definitely revisit if returning to the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Potters Bar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

Having stayed at the Baren for more than 20 years the hotel is still as welcoming as always.
The hotel is well positioned in the quiet village, with the bus running every half hour into Interlaken and a short walk down the road to the station for the train to either Interlaken or up the valley. The hotel has stunning views from their rooms facing the valley which is a lovely sight to wake up to.
The hotel itself is very friendly and the staff are more than willing to help. The food was nice and well presented, occasionally the service in the restaurant was slow but that gave you time to digest the four course meal and chat to the other guests on the next table. If you had a problem with you meal you could change it to something you liked with no questions asked. The rooms were clean and tidy, anything you needed you just mentioned to reception and they sorted it for you. The hotel rooms are quite old fashion but that gives you the Swiss feeling of a chalet and definitely makes you feel a part of their country.
On August 1st Swiss National Day, the hotel gets just as involved as the rest of the country and makes you feel welcome. This year they laid on a buffet/ BBQ in the garden with the waiters and waitresses dressed in Swiss costumes followed by fireworks when it got dark. There was arrival drinks before the buffet which meant you could have a chat with the other guests as well as Bernard (manager).
I will definitely be staying back at the Baren for another holiday next year as I always feel welcome.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ceri L
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

Its not often I write bad reviews on TripAdvisor, but I felt compelled to write an honest review about this hotel. I had not stayed in the Baren for some time since Fritz was running it, and having seen the change of ownership (and flashy new website) I decided to give it another go. I was travelling with family, through a package holiday company.

Having read and looked at the images on the aforementioned website, I had high hopes for the Baren. Sadly, they were not to be met. I don't know which room they photographed for the website, but it certainly was not one any of my "party" were staying in. I had selected a standard double room, my travelling companions a superior room. I'll start with the standard room. The good parts were it was light and had a balcony. However, the bathroom was cluttered around the room a sink in one corner, the shower in another and the toilet sandwiched in by the door. The furniture was old and tatty, not rustic just frankly old and battered. My wardrobe for example did not open as the handles were removed (one later found strewn in the room). When you're paying several thousands of pounds for a holiday one would expect a functioning wardrobe. My television looked like something from 1975, a tiny CRT monitor which also did not work correctly - it was stuck on either a Russian or Italian channel for most of the week. Not that you could even see the television of course, I had a better screen on my mobile phone. The room was not particularly clean either, not nice to find someone else's old hairs in the "welcome brochure".

Worse however was in the so called Superior room. Given that these rooms cost more, I was stunned with what we found. It was small, tiny in-fact, cramped and dark - like being in a cave. No balcony, only a view of the main road which was incredibly loud. The bathroom was not big enough for one person to turn around in, and there was no way to put a suitcase in the room and walk around it. The room too had tatty furniture and felt very old indeed. My travelling companions asked if there were any other rooms available in the hotel but were simply told "no - absolutely not" by the unhelpful staff on the reception desk, but a simple internet search proved there were in fact 12 free rooms, 5 of which were alternative superior rooms... Finally tired of the sub-standard conditions they actually downgraded themselves and ended up in a marginally better room.

Then we come on to the food. Under no circumstances would I recommend anyone staying at this hotel on a half-board basis. The food was frankly appalling. Be prepared to spend upwards of 2 hours in the restaurant as the catering staff take a life-time to serve. I've waited less times in top London restaurants. The food was usually unrecognisable on the plate either, small portions and at times cold food. One notable evening where there was clearly complete chaos in the kitchen, the tiny portions of what looked like microwave ready meals were served to the restaurant en-masse like a school canteen. I suffer from a serious nut allergy too, and having warned the hotel, my tour operator and all serving staff I was alarmed that I was served food with nuts in not once but TWICE. The first time I noticed before eating, but the second time I was not so lucky and spent my final night of my holiday seriously ill. It was a total disaster. The breakfast wasn't much better either, a poorly laid out room and lack of any kind of order or re-stocking of food.

I am aware that the hotel is old, therefore will have issues like bad light, and small rooms - but as a result they just should not be charging the prices they are. I would honestly recommend people to stay elsewhere - not just in the area but in other resorts in Switzerland where far better hotels can be had for the same price and the walking/mountains are just as beautiful.

I would be highly unlikely to ever stay in this hotel again, and would not recommend others to do so either. If you are looking to visit the area, try hotels in the larger towns of Interlaken and Grindelwald. You'll pay the same but not only have more choice, but more atmosphere too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank RobFerrari

Travelers are raving about these Wilderswil hotels

Martinez, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed here as a part of a group tour. We were thrilled when we saw our room. It had lots of storage, clean bathroom, and comfy bed. The view was beautiful, too. We loved the big windows, and they all were able to be opened nice and wide. The staff was extremely friendly and helped many of our group in various ways, ie directions, Internet help, ect. Part of our group watched one of the World Cup Soccer Games in the quaint little sitting room, and the bartender was friendly and attentive. Our only disappointment was that we were only scheduled to stay one night. We would love to go back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Notts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

We returned to the Interlaken area after a gap of over 50 years. In 1961 we stayed a few miles up the Lutschine Valley from Widerswil. So very much a nostalgic return to the Bernese Oberland. Chose Hotel Baeren this time for a 14 night stay based partly on reviews and partly on helpful information and the quote from Inghams. (Inghams gave us the best deal out of three for exactly the same package) Charming hotel in nice location within easy reach of bus and train. Room facilities fine; we were on first floor looking towards Schynige Platte and could see up the valley to the Jungfrau. Unfortunately with flight delay we arrived about 10 pm, later than expected, and our local courier took ten minutes before he could find someone to receive us at reception, who promptly disappeared again after checking us in, with no attempt to help with heavy luggage up three flights of stairs (no lift) which for elderly persons, one with a back problem was difficult. However the good side was that the hotel was pleased to still provide the evening meal despite being after normal restaurant closing. From then on we were happy at the hotel although felt dinner service was at times a bit slow and the staff could be better organised. Neverthless the waiting staff were very friendly and we got to know them by first names quite quickly. One other minor adverse comment was that the room and bathroom lighting was a bit low - dark shades did not help. Local transport is excellent and we made full use of the free bus pass on route 105 and plenty of use of our rail passes to get around the Oberland and a bit further afield to, for example, Gstaad, Berne, Kandersteg and Luzern. Most of time spent on the two local lakes (Thun and Brienz) and in the beautiful Jungrau area with several mountain excursions using rail - walking and climbing was fine in our younger days but not now! Despite a few criticisms we would possibly return should we have another opportunity some time.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a view towards the Jungfrau.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank historian90
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

I was very much delighted when I saw the room and strolled nearby hotel. It is situated in a beautiful , silent area.
You will certainly enjoy beautiful houses and snow covered mountains on your way to the hotel.

Train facility to wilderswil is very good(actually its very easy to reach anyplace in swiss, it's worth every penny you spend on swiss tourism). The hotel is 10mins walk from the wilderswil station also can be reached by bus(2mins). Breakfast is good, the staff is very good, they also provide free bus ticket on your arrival at the hotel.
I liked the room very much and would stay at same hotel on my next visit.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AishuUK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilderswil
Hotel Roessli
#5 of 8 in Unterseen
Waldhotel Unspunnen
Waldhotel Unspunnen
#33 of 40 in Interlaken

Been to Hotel Baeren? Share your experiences!