All reviewstraquair armsbeer gardenthe ownerlovely hotelfish and chipsfood was lovelystaff were lovelyhaggisexploring the areathe pubfamily roomfriendly welcomeshort breakfull scottish breakfastan evening mealhigh standardmountain biking
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Just returned from a 2 night Groupon Deal at the Traquair Arms. Quiet twin room overlooking the garden with firm but comfy mattresses and a small but adequate ensuite shower. Lovely breakfast, not lots of choice of cereals or juice but mains were well cooked and tasty. Ate in restaurant on both evenings and food was good value and delicious. Excellent beer selection and beautifully kept. Great atmosphere in the bar patronised by the locals -always a good sign. Visited Traquair House Peebles St Marys Loch and Galashiels.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We got a Groupon deal so stayed at the Traquair Arms Fri and Sat night in August.
The hotel is a little dated and we were on the top floor with no lift so for those with mobility issues you may want to reconsider. The room was a reasonable size, it was a double but under the covers you could feel was 2 mattresses pushed together. There was free tea/coffee and bottled water. There was a TV but the only channels we could manage to get were BBC1 and 2, not the end of the world as we were out most of the time but a little odd. The bathroom was small, with old looking shower but it worked fine so no issue there, there was free shampoo/conditioner and handwash but no showergel so you may want to just use the shampoo or bring your own.

The only meal we had there was breakfast which was a little disappointing to be honest. My boyfriend is a veggie which I advised at the time of booking and when we checked in so they could cater for him if needs be. The breakfast menu whilst having veggie options (eggs) did not have an alternative to the full scottish - I had hoped that knowing a veggie was coming there may have been a quorn sausage or something...we did ask if there was an alternative to the bacon, sausage and black pudding that you get with the full scottish and the response was 'well i could do you a piece of tomato'...not quite what I was after...so the bf had one of the egg dishes - scrambled egg on toast (on one piece of toast!) so I felt pretty bad tucking into my full scottish when he had some egg on one piece of toast - until I got to the black pudding which actually was so hard it cluncked when I hit it off the side of the plate - not so smug then!
There was fruit (grapefruit and orange segments) and cereal too and they brought toast out although on the second day everyone else was offered more toast except for us - guess we shouldn't have asked for veggie options lol...I had the grilled kippers with brown bread (although it was white bread when it arrived and soggy) do not get this - it is like the prepacked stuff which felt like it had been microwaved to death rather than flakey and lovely and grilled.

So if I had been paying full price to stay there I would have been really miffed but for 89.00 for 2 nights it wasn't too bad.

Innerleithen itself is small - there are 2 chinese takeaways, 1 chippy that does pizza a pub that does food (normal pub grub but quite pricey) an indian restaurant with a couple of tables to sit in and the Traquair Arms. Peebles has far more choice - we ate at the Sunflower which was v nice.

It was a good base and has frequent buses to Edinburgh and lovely countryside around it - v good for cyclists I imagine as there were loads of them.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
David R, Owner at Traquair Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review – I will pass them onto the chefs to ensure that in future our food comes up to the standard that is we are renowned for, we are also in the process of updating the hotel and will keep your comments in mind, and all I can do is apologise and hope you will return again to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

The Traquair Arms Hotel offers spacious, clean and reasonably priced accommodation within an area of outstanding natural beauty. The food is wholesome, usually locally sourced, reasonably priced and just what we wanted after a great day's walking in the surrounding hills.

It was very encouraging to see so many locals settling down to enjoy their evening meal in the hotel. They are obviously proud of their town and it's great beauty because they were always ready to offer tips and advice concerning the best places to visit and how to get there.

My wife and I are planning a revisit in the autumn.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2013

David was very helpful when I called trying to organize a late birthday getaway.
The wee cottage was ideal - basic, but scrupulously clean, and had ample parking at the door.
We opted for breakfast in the hotel which was tasty and plentiful and accompanied by plenty of toast and coffee. Much less hassle than cooking ourselves, it set us up for a day on the bike trails.
Innerleithen trails are a few hundred metres along the road, and Glentress is 5 miles. Great location.
Staff were without exception helpful, friendly and polite.
We'll definitely be back.
Thanks

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I have been to The Traquair Arms many times , but I must say I was very dissapointed with our food on this occassion ..
I have had the Veggie Lasagne before and was really looking forward to it , but alas , it was very dry in the middle , and my friend who ordered the Steak and Ale pie after being told by friends who had it before was also dissapointed, it lacked flavour ...... i think the CHEF forgot about the seasoning let alone the ALE .
My friend , enjoyed her cheesecake , but I had the Ice cream , but again it was very tasteless , have you changed your supplier , it certainly was not a CREAMY kind .
I am sorry to have to write a poor comment , on this occassion , but as we are both in the catering industry we felt you should have our feed back .

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sweettruffles A
David R, Owner at Traquair Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Thankyou for your comments, I will pass them onto the chefs to ensure that in future our food comes up to the standard that is we are reknowned for. All I can do is apologise and hope you will return.