All reviewstraquair armsbeer gardenthe ownerlovely hotelfish and chipsfood was lovelystaff were lovelyhaggisexploring the areathe pubfamily roomfriendly welcomeshort breakfull scottish breakfastan evening mealhigh standardmountain biking
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Cannot comment on hotel as we stayed in "cottage", I.E. very shoddily converted stable at rear.
The overall impression was that these buildings have been very cheaply furnished with poor standard of furnishings and fittings considering the (not cheap) rates.
On approach, weeds and dead plants, wires sticking out of unfinished light sockets, bird droppings on windows and worn, frayed and unsafe doormats. Had to try key in all locks as no numbers on doors.
Inside were the cheapest of futons and flat pack furniture, one tiny pedal bin for whole cottage, empty used shampoo and shower gel bottles left on floor and not even a proper wardrobe in bedroom.
The Welcome Pack advertised on the website was not provided.
Staff in main hotel were friendly and helpful, however we were left feeling ripped off. We have stayed in cottages in an establishment not far away for the same rate several times over the past 18 months and facilities were vastly superior.
We did leave this feedback on our departure, however the owner appears disinterested.
Would not recommend or return.

Room Tip: Do not stay in cottages as they are not of an acceptable standard.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Patti S
David R, Owner at Traquair Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

I am disappointed that you found your stay less than satisfactory.I took all your comments on board from the note you left at the front desk and have just undertaken a refurbishment/ review of the cottages and have redecorated and bought new equipment and furnishings as per some of your suggestions.
I would be happy to see you return to have a look at what I have done in response to your criticsims.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

I have never stayed overnight at the "The Traq" but have stopped by for a beer many times. It sells reat local ale, provides good service, and in winter has a roaring fire to greet you. My idea of a pub; can't fault it.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
David R, Owner at Traquair Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Thankyou for taking the time to add such a lovely comment about our Pub/Hotel. Look forward to seeing you again very soon and hopefully when its warm and sunny.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed for two nights at the Traquair Arms. Our room was very large and spacious, The bathroom big enough to have another bed :-). Everything in the room was clean and tidy, tea making facilities, and TV. The surrounding areas are lovely, unfortunately our weather could have been better, but still, didn't stop us doing some site seeing. In the evening we ate at the Traquair and the food was that good, we didn't venture out the following night, and stayed there again. Well worth the visit.

Room Tip: be prepared to travel for site seeing, Innerleithen is small, but has lots to see
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
David R, Owner at Traquair Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Thankyou so much for your kind comments after your stay with us. We pride ourselves on our warm and welcoming hospitality and good home cooked food so I am pleased you enjoyed your stay.Looking forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband booked 4 days stays thanks to Groupon website. We wanted to celebrate our first anniversary in a quiet & nice place with our 3mths old baby.
The location is superb,very peaceful and people are very friendly.
About the Hotel,it's and old construction so no complaints!

Rooms : We had the room number 10, they provided us with a travel cot but we had a single bed in our bedroom as well so that made the room very congested. Cleanliness I will give ZERO...! The first day they didn't even do the bed properly & the shower wasn't even cleaned. Complained to Jane,owner's wife but not much interest taken & nothing was done regarding it. Second Day we returned to our room at 3pm & no cleaning was done!!!!! The third day we check out coz didn't want to ruin my Husband's birthday. I had a baby & nothing was easy in the room. No near switches for the kettle,no fridge,no hooks,no rails,so made things more complicated!

Breakfast: You need to wait loads for a hot breakfast & most of the times one has to go and fetch the staff as they are talking instead of serving!!

The only saving person was the bartender & was very friendly and working all hours!

I'm a RCI Senior Travel Consultant & won't recommend this hotel to any of my customers. In one word :
Its a one night hotel, spend 90£ and get service for a day :)

Very disappointed & specially after complaining to Jane no solution was given. Advice that ill give a bad review & no interest was shown to keep a nice record for the Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013

I was disappointed to read your comments after your recent stay with us - especially as we had arranged a special deal for you outside of the Groupon offer as you wanted to stay longer than the offer was for. The room you were in,Room 9,is one of our larger rooms but as you rightly pointed out we are not a purpose built hotel and all our rooms are different shapes and sizes and have to cater for all. We rarely have detrimental comments made about the cleanliness in the rooms and therefore your comment did surprise me.
As I understand it you were in your room for most of the second day which meant our housekeepers couldnt have access to service it for you. You were asked but declined them access. We do not provide fridges but would happily have stored any baby items in our fridge for you if you had asked.
All our breakfasts are freshly cooked to order so a slight delay is inevitable but we like to maintain a good quality of food served.
I am sorry you felt your stay was not upto your usual standard.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed for a weekend with my husband after purchasing a Groupon voucher. I used to visit the hotel as a child and was keen to see how it had changed - I was not disappointed. The room we had was on the top floor, it was a good size, clean and the shower was fab! We had plenty of hot water and the bed was very comfortable. We ate in the bar on the first night and the food was excellent. The portions were large and the food of a high standard, the drinks were also of a reasonable price. We very slept well, the bed was huge and super comfy.
Breakfast was a very quiet affair and to be honest the cold options were very limited and not very appetising, I was starting to feel disappointed but the hot food certainly made up for it. Big portions with fresh ingredients!
On the whole, we really enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the hotel and would visit again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
David R, Owner at Traquair Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write such a lovely after your recent stay and I am glad we didnt disappoint. I will take on board your comments about breakfast too. We pride ourselves on being a warm and welcoming family run hotel with wholesome food and at least we didnt disappoint. Hope to see you again in the near future.