All reviewstraquair armsbeer gardenthe ownerlovely hotelfish and chipsfood was lovelystaff were lovelyhaggisexploring the areathe pubfamily roomfriendly welcomeshort breakfull scottish breakfastan evening mealhigh standardmountain biking
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband booked 4 days stays thanks to Groupon website. We wanted to celebrate our first anniversary in a quiet & nice place with our 3mths old baby.
The location is superb,very peaceful and people are very friendly.
About the Hotel,it's and old construction so no complaints!

Rooms : We had the room number 10, they provided us with a travel cot but we had a single bed in our bedroom as well so that made the room very congested. Cleanliness I will give ZERO...! The first day they didn't even do the bed properly & the shower wasn't even cleaned. Complained to Jane,owner's wife but not much interest taken & nothing was done regarding it. Second Day we returned to our room at 3pm & no cleaning was done!!!!! The third day we check out coz didn't want to ruin my Husband's birthday. I had a baby & nothing was easy in the room. No near switches for the kettle,no fridge,no hooks,no rails,so made things more complicated!

Breakfast: You need to wait loads for a hot breakfast & most of the times one has to go and fetch the staff as they are talking instead of serving!!

The only saving person was the bartender & was very friendly and working all hours!

I'm a RCI Senior Travel Consultant & won't recommend this hotel to any of my customers. In one word :
Its a one night hotel, spend 90£ and get service for a day :)

Very disappointed & specially after complaining to Jane no solution was given. Advice that ill give a bad review & no interest was shown to keep a nice record for the Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013
David R, Owner at Traquair Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

I was disappointed to read your comments after your recent stay with us - especially as we had arranged a special deal for you outside of the Groupon offer as you wanted to stay longer than the offer was for. The room you were in,Room 9,is one of our larger rooms but as you rightly pointed out we are not a purpose built hotel and all our rooms are different shapes and sizes and have to cater for all. We rarely have detrimental comments made about the cleanliness in the rooms and therefore your comment did surprise me.
As I understand it you were in your room for most of the second day which meant our housekeepers couldnt have access to service it for you. You were asked but declined them access. We do not provide fridges but would happily have stored any baby items in our fridge for you if you had asked.
All our breakfasts are freshly cooked to order so a slight delay is inevitable but we like to maintain a good quality of food served.
I am sorry you felt your stay was not upto your usual standard.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed for a weekend with my husband after purchasing a Groupon voucher. I used to visit the hotel as a child and was keen to see how it had changed - I was not disappointed. The room we had was on the top floor, it was a good size, clean and the shower was fab! We had plenty of hot water and the bed was very comfortable. We ate in the bar on the first night and the food was excellent. The portions were large and the food of a high standard, the drinks were also of a reasonable price. We very slept well, the bed was huge and super comfy.
Breakfast was a very quiet affair and to be honest the cold options were very limited and not very appetising, I was starting to feel disappointed but the hot food certainly made up for it. Big portions with fresh ingredients!
On the whole, we really enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the hotel and would visit again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
David R, Owner at Traquair Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write such a lovely after your recent stay and I am glad we didnt disappoint. I will take on board your comments about breakfast too. We pride ourselves on being a warm and welcoming family run hotel with wholesome food and at least we didnt disappoint. Hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Room small but nicely decorated but no bedside tables or bed side lights so unable to have a read or a drink in bed. Ensuite pretty good but water not very hot and there were no towel rails or hooks to hang towels (only one chair in bedroom and no hooks there). Breakfast and evening meals vey tasty. Could not really recommend to our friends. Our room was noisy on second night noise from fans near kitchen I think but kept going all night!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
David R, Owner at Traquair Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Thankyou for taking the time to write a review about your stay and I am sorry to hear you found it disappointing. I have just this week undertaken a review of all rooms and hopefully I have rectified the issue you had re the towel hooks etc. As an old building all our rooms are of different sizes, some much smaller than others so it is difficult to please everyone in that respect.However we pride ourselves on our great homecooked food which you enjoyed. Hopefully you will come and give us another try in the future.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Thank god for Groupons!!!!! with this fantastic deal it means I can frequent the hotel more times than my usual visits. My husband and myself stayed at the hotel last weekend for 4 nights. As usual the Traquair hotel did not disappoint........., excellent food, the room was clean and nicely presented and the location......well, what can I say,,,,, other than absolutely fantastic. The staff were accommodating and the owners Mr Rogers and his wife Jane just could not do enough for you. It is a breath of fresh air to visit a family run hotel where you know your custom is really appreciated. Looking forward to our August break, can't wait.

P.S forgot to mention the excellent choice of whisky!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank walkingborgia

Thankyou for taking the time to write such a lovely review. I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay and we all look forward to seeing you again in August. I will make sure there are lots of whiskies for you to sample.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We bought a Groupon voucher from someone who could no longer go and looked forward to taking our Springer Spaniel for a weekend away. The room was on the top floor, not ideal for a dog. The decor could not possibly have been refurbished as stated on the website - pink walls, green carpet and gold bedspread! There was one bedside cabinet with a handle missing on the bottom drawer, the handle on the wardrobe frequently came off and I had to go on my knees to see in the dressing table mirror. There was only one chair in the room. We had to pivot round the ensuite door to actually get in and close it and we are both quite small. I have never seen towels with so much fraying. Even our dog's towels are in better condition. We ate in the bar on the first evening but wouldn't do it again. The quality of food at breakfast was very disappointing. It should not be so difficult to cut through a fried egg. Yes, we were cowards and didn't complain but no-one even came to reception when we rang to hand in our key on departure. The only saving grace was the barman who was very helpful and friendly and seemed to work all hours.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
David R, Owner at Traquair Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

I am really disappointed to hear you didnt enjoy your stay with us. We have been extremely busy with both the Groupon deals and our regular guests and can only apologize if you found your stay less than comfortable and the food less than top notch.If you had spoken to any member of staff at any time we would have done our utmost to help rectify your issues. As an old building our rooms were not purpose built to house beds with ensuites facilities etc. and therefore are a little quirky. I hope you will return and give us another chance