“Great place to stay”

Ranked #7 of 8 Innerleithen B&B and Inns
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I stayed in the hotel for several days while working in the area and was very happy with my choice. The staff are very freindly and it has excellent facilities. The room was large and clean and the food was also great. I would highly recommend this hotel if you are visiting the area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Richard186518

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Edinburgh
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I've just had a really bad night at this hotel. I booked at the last minute and was particular about asking for a quiet room. I cycled from Edinburgh in the afternoon and was looking forward to a hot bath, an early night, and a good sleep, ready for a decent onward cycle the next day. The "reception" was at the back of the bar which in fairness should have rung alarm bells and prompted me to make a hasty retreat. The room (5) was basic and although clean the towels and bedding could have done with a good airing. There was plenty of hot water for a good soak. However, the noise from the bar below and outside in the "beer garden" kept going until after1 in the morning. Even then I could still here conversations well into the wee small hours. I went downstairs to complain but the husband owner was very dismissive and unhelpful. I complained the next morning to the wife owner who was equally dismissive and said that she had been bothered by the noise too!!!!!! I appreciate that the hotel relies on its custom at the bar for income but it should not be marketing these rooms as quiet. By the way the cooked breakfast was not great.

On a positive note the bistro next door was great - I had very nice fish and chips - and Fiko the owner was very friendly and chatty.

Room Tip: Avoid room 5 at all costs, and look at other nearby options.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank chris1961
Cath768, Owner at St Ronan's Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
In reply to this review I would like to point out that the guest asked for a room to the back so he did not hear the traffic which is why he was given room 5. As it is with most small hotels 7 rooms do not justify a separate reception area and all residents check in at the public bar which is always manned. As for the room linen needing a good airing I do all my own laundry and dry it outside on the clothes line you cant get a better airing than that. the guest in question complained when he first arrived that the TV in the room was not working but when I went up to check he was pointing the wrong remote control (digie box) at the TV. When he complained about noise not from the beer garden but from the smoking area steps were taken immediatly to get the customers to be quieter.Our bar closes at 12.45 and the bar was empty by 01.10 as is the rules set by the licensing board. Also when he spoke to my husband he threatened to give a bad review if he didn't get a price reduction. As for the breakfast I cooked it myself and he ate everything. My breakfast have been highly complimented by many guests. In my opinion this guy was chancing it and just wanted a cheaper price!!!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2012

we went to stobo castle for a lazy afternoon by the way was realy good and stayed overnight in st ronans hotel ,,its a pub with bedrooms above .our stay was very good a nice clean bedroom with fresh towels for both of us .the husband and wife team were very helpful and friendly.we we hD DINNER IN THE RESTUARANT which was run by friko ,i dont always like sauces so he put it on a seperate plate and i must say it was very good .we had breakfast in the morning serve by the lady of the hoteland you had choice of cerial yogarts of fruit plus juice full scottish toast tea and coffe ,no hurry .i am very frighten of dogs and there were dogs in hotel but they were docile and no bother owner offerded to take them away but firts time in 4 years i have been near a dog and it was ok 60 ponds was all it cost us for two of us and i would recomend it for an overnight or a break in touring scotland ,we will be back if in that area again

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelbug170945
Also consider these accommodations in or near Innerleithen
Tontine Hotel Peebles Scottish Borders
#6 of 8 in Innerleithen
Glede Knowe Guest House
Glede Knowe Guest House
#1 of 8 in Innerleithen

Been to St Ronan's Hotel? Share your experiences!