“Good stay but dont let the standard slip”
Review of Sandy Cove Hotel

Sandy Cove Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Berrynarbor
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed for a weekend in early November, we have stayed before and always enjoyed an excellent stay so were looking forward to returning.

Excellent arrival at reception, the lady was helpful and gave us all the information we needed to enjoy our stay. Room was good and as described when booked. Breakfast both days were spot on, hot breakfast used good quality ingredients and a decent selection from the buffet.

We only dined at the hotel the first night and this is my negative. Upon entering the restaurant on Friday night we were greeted by the waitress with "alright, what room you in?". This immediately put my back up and although other members of the restaurant team were polite and helpful this girl was horrendous, she should be trained or let go. No etiquette, no understanding of customer service and really didn't look like she cared.

She topped it off when she cleared the main plates, and when I said the potato fondant was raw in the middle and could she let the chef know, she responded with "oh right". Nothing else said. Wasn't impressed that the desserts were brought in after they have recently been awarded an AA Rosette. These reasons are why we ate out the following night.

However these are small things that can easily be addressed. The pool, sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi are great. ALL the other staff were excellent! If the management would like to contact me I would be pleased to give them more info so that they can get a "very good" back to an "excellent".

We will go back but to the hotel manager, please look at the fine details because these are the difference!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Judd B
SandycoveDevon, Manager at Sandy Cove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback and for your lovely comments. We have taken your comments up with the waitress in question and the Restaurant Manager is also having several training sessions and staff meetings. We do appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback and look forward to meeting you again in the future.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

First time I've written a review on here but after the weekend me and my wife just had I felt compelled to do one
Reception staff were great nothing was to much trouble and went that extra mile to help
The room was lovely and possible the mist comfy bed I've ever slept in ...en suite was roomy and nice and modern
Nice HD big screen tv in room and the view over the sea was amazing
Restaurant was nicely set out and the staff were really friendly ....and the food was nicely cooked and tasted great
Pool , steam , and sauna room were lovely clean and relaxing ....all in all a nice addition to the hotel experience that was free of charge
Ok so I've praised this place to the full but here is the down side ......the room we had was a bit warm for our liking , and that's it .........will definitely be back soon.... Brian and Gill Hereford

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brian D

Thank you very much for your review and for your lovely comments. We very much hope to meet you again in the future.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

A long weekend break for my wife and I found us at this pleasant hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful and treated us to our own 'private' table for most of our stay. The food was very enjoyable as was the wine.
The room itself was fairly comfortable although the advertised king-size bed was more like a double and the mattress was far too firm so we both woke up every morning felly very stiff and sore! The room was also very hot and the security locks on the windows meant there was a very restrict flow of fresh air. There was also a wedding on two consecutive nights at the hotel which meant with the windows open because of the heat it was quite noisy until midnight.
Despite this, we had a very enjoyable time and were revitalised by the break and the beautiful surroundings.

Room Tip: The view out to sea is spectacular so be sure to ask for a sea view when you book.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay. Our superior rooms do have king sized hypnos beds and we have had a great deal of feedback from people who have said the beds are very comfortable so we are very sorry that it was not to your liking. If you do visit again we do have some mattress toppers which would be softer which could be put in the room by prior arrangement. We hope to meet you again.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our first trip to Sandy Cove for a friends Wedding. The food was gorgeous, plenty of choice and well presented. The staff were particularly tolerant of my energetic toddler! They were all genuinely friendly and nothing was too much trouble. One lady in particular (assuming the Duty Manager) brought my Daughter some Dolly Mixture to keep her happy at the table & when I had a problem with my dress late in the evening she rescued me and fixed it for me! The day went really smoothly and the staff were very efficient. A really lovely place in a stunning setting!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank StephRubyAdam
SandycoveDevon, Manager at Sandy Cove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel, we are so pleased that you enjoyed your friends Wedding here and it is always nice to hear such lovely comments about the staff -which we will be sure to pass on to them. We are pleased that you enjoyed the food and the views and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Spent the day at Sandy Cove for a friends wedding. As you turn into the hotel you are hit by an epic view of the hotel in it's surroundings. The staff were very welcoming and friendly. The food was brilliant and the staff provided a great service. The Marque was very clean and the perfect size to accommodate everyone. Would be more than happy to get married there myself!!!!

Room Tip: N/A. Didn't stay but i would say pay extra for the sea view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review, we are so pleased that you enjoyed yourself at the Wedding. It is so nice to hear the comments regarding the food and the staff and we will be sure to pass these on. We are also pleased that you enjoyed our Marquee and hope that you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

I have just returned from a birthday surprise night at the Sandy Cove Hotel and I feel I need to write a review to ensure other travelers know what to expect.

The website for the hotel portrays a very different standard to that which we were welcomed with. Both rooms (we had an extra room for the children) were very dated with junk shop standard furniture, peeling wallpaper and worst of all the place was filthy. Filthy skirting boards, filthy windows and window sills and ingrained dirt on the bathroom floor plus sticky carpet in the extra room. There were dirty tissues found at the side of one of the beds in the extra room - this did not give us much confidence in the standard of cleaning and there was more evidence to support this, one example being what looked like about ten years worth of cobwebs behind the rusty radiators - it made me feel physically sick when I discovered this. Unfortunately we did not discover the tissues or the cobwebs until after the kids were bathed and in their pyjamas otherwise we would have been sure to ask to change room. It would have been far too unsettling for our children (a 2 year old and a 4 year old) to move rooms at this time of the evening.

There was also a phone in the room that did not work and was not even plugged into the wall due to the phone socket being broken or closed off. I am not a telecoms expert so not sure. The bath had some sort of mechanism to change the water from tap to shower - this did not work and I had to hold it in place while the bath filled up getting soaked at the same time.

My partner who had booked this hotel for me as a surprise birthday present spoke to the Manager on reception on our departure and asked him to view the room with her to allow her to highlight the issues. He told her he was unable to leave the reception desk to look at the room. I am surprised a manager was unable to find a member of staff to cover reception whilst he dealt with a serious customer complaint.

Despite the outstanding sea view I would not recommend this hotel to anyone due to how filthy it is.

I have read some of the other reviews on Trip Advisor and share the view that some of the staff seemed disinterested and had no concern for customer service. To be fair we did receive great customer service from several members of the staff.

Room Tip: Ask for as new as possible a room and ask them to make sure they clean it properly
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PAUL S

Thank you for your review. We are extremely dismayed to receive this review and do take all such complaints extremely seriously. We have however inspected the room with our Head Housekeeper and could not find dirty skirting boards etc as you describe, we think the paint-work is faded rather than dirty but we do agree that the room is very dated. This room is scheduled for complete refurbishment and upgrade to a superior room in 3 weeks time. We are sorry we did not have a chance to change your room while you were here as we did not know about any of the problems until you checked-out; the manager did send the Head Housekeeper down to your room, but by the time she got there, you had already left. We would very much like the chance to welcome you again in the future in the same room which will then be newly refurbished as a superior room.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

I recently attended a wedding at Sandy Cove and found the whole experience beautiful. The views are wonderful, a perfect back drop for a relaxing and peaceful get away. The staff worked so hard throughout the day and night and were very friendly and helpful. The food was delicious and we all enjoyed the facilities. The evening reception was held down at the marquee which is again a wonderful venue. Definitely recommended!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel, we are so pleased that you enjoyed the Wedding that was held here and we will be sure to pass on your lovely comments to the staff. We are so pleased that you enjoyed the evening event in the Marquee and we hope that the Bride and Groom enjoyed themselves too. We hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Berrynarbor
Ilfracombe Carlton Hotel
Watersmeet Hotel
Watersmeet Hotel
#1 of 4 in Woolacombe
Trimstone Manor Country House Hotel

Been to Sandy Cove Hotel? Share your experiences!