“Great Steak”

Ye olde globe
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Traditional Village Pub based in the heart of Berrynarbor. Serving good food and fine ales. Family friendly and dog friendly.
Reviewed April 21, 2013

A short walk from our holiday cottage in Sterridge Valley, the pub seems to be full of nooks and crannies to find a seat in. I had expected more choice of real ales (only Doombar and Exmoor Ale) but the Exmoor was most enjoyable. I had the local reared 8oz Rib eye steak seasoned with sea salt, cracked pepper and a coriander butter - which was fabulous. Perfectly cooked which is always a good sign in my book. Jane had Scampi and chips which was generously portioned a decent size and moist inside. The waitress was very friendly and helpful.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

The place smelt of dogs - food was served 'cool'. We sent it back and it did come out hot the second time but I like duck to be tender and falling off the bone - the duck I was served was neither!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Food arived at the table cold and with hairs in, we asked for well done beef it was still alive on the plate

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Well to be honest this pub was not our first choice this evening we had planned to go to Mortehoe like, but the look of that put sent us packing. Found Ye Older Globe welcoming both to us and our dog, We sat in the old kitchen area, apparently part of one of the old cottages knock together to format a pub. While the decor is old beamy heaven, the food was pretty basic yet filling. My partner had the lamb suet pudding, and I had the beef suet pudding, both served with potatoes and peas. He washed down with a spritzer while I had the drivers special. Our did did well on the left overs.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I honestly think that during the summer months when there are a few people around, this has the potential to be a cracking pub. It has plenty of seating areas and a substantial play area for the little ones (which could be a major selling point for this pub!) But on entering the bar area, there is a distinct lack of atmosphere and feels like it is being run down on purpose. The décor is very tired and lacking imagination, because of the age of the place, I would presume it is easier to leave all the old brasses and dirty old bottles on the walls for "character" but personally it just made it all a little dark and claustrophobic and in dire need of updating.
We sat next to the main bar and immediately after ordering kind of wished we had gone else where, we felt a little uneasy and when someone brought a plate to the bar to be put in the microwave because it was served to them stone cold, we were just going to cut our losses. I am glad we stayed though. The menu is very limited, but being Sunday we plumped for the roast and when it came out it was one of the best non carvery pub roasts I have ever had. A very generous and well cooked meal which would recommend any day.