“dinner”

The Ranch
Ranked #60 of 81 Restaurants in Eastwood
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, Australian
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Ranch Bistro is a popular and busy venue for both lunch and dinner with an extensive modern Australian menu. With the newly renovated bistro dining area and a brand new children's playground the Ranch Hotel is perfect for the whole family.
“dinner”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

Used to love this place.When they changed to not delivering meals to your table it went downhill.Food was cold and service poor

Visited October 2012

• Korean first
Sydney, Australia
“Office Lunch & After-Work Drinks”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

The Ranch has a slight whiff of RSL about it except that it's perhaps slighly more presentable and not as many children. You line up and order your food at the Bistro and line up to order your drinks at the Bar - take your beeper and return to collect your plate of essentially well executed basic bistro fare that leans towards the "too many chips" side of the fence but nevertheless suitable for the market it serves. Service is friendly and helpful. Nice enough.

Visited August 2012
Sydney, Australia
“Pub that's lost the plot”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

If you want to pay $33 for $20 steak then this is place to go. Frankly, its a pub, a big modern soulless swill bar. And that's okay if you want to go drinking with your mates. In fact it might even be perfect.

BUT, in a pub I expect a pub menu. That includes burgers which seem to have been replaced by over priced steaks. The foods fair, but if I'm going to pay that much I want a restaurant with waiters, table service and a wine list. Not to be seated in an aircraft hanger surrounded by tables of families with little kids running up and down.

• Visited November 2012
Auckland
“I like it - but it's only a casual, chaotic place to meet up with mates!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

I go to The Ranch once every 8 weeks or so. Usually my husband and I meet there with a large group of friends, and we take our toddler with us.

It's a VERY casual dining experience - open-plan dining, with TVs on the walls.
You grab a table, line up in a queue to order your meals, pay first, take a beeper and head back to your table. If you want drinks, you order and pay from the bar on the other side of the dining room. When your beeper goes off, you take it back up to the counter where you wait for someone to take your beeper and replace it with your meals on a tray, and you carry it back to your table yourself.

We usually go on a Wednesday night, because that is $10 steak night! You get a decent sized steak, cooked to your choosing (I like it medium rare, and it's usually pretty well cooked). Included is a good lot of chunky french fries and a tiny bit of salad on the side. There's no salad dressing, but you can help yourself to the sauces (tomato, mustard, BBQ, chilli) at the condiment bar.

They also have desserts available in the dessert fridge, usually various cheesecakes and gateaux served with a scoop of icecream.

It tends to get REALLY busy and noisy on Wednesday nights. It's quite chaotic. Sometimes you have to wait a while for a table (depending on what time you get there and how many people you have). They've always had highchairs available.

Mondays are "Mum's eat free night". I'd imagine that could be busy too, but I haven't been on a Monday. I usually only go to The Ranch when they have a specials night on, because I don't like to pay their 'normal' prices. However, it's much quieter when it's normal prices.

I would not recommend The Ranch for a romantic dinner, but it is a great place to catch up with friends and is child-friendly. (In saying that, the last time we went, the cleaner/waitress was wiping down the highchair from the previous customer so that my child could sit in it, and whinged on and on about how gross children were.... hmmm.... my toddler was sitting right there! LOL Oh well.)

I know what to expect from The Ranch, and I use it as a very casual dining place and I am happy with it.

• Visited December 2011
Sydney
“Horrendously variable cooking”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2011

Horrendously variable cooking by arguably incompetant cooks.

I have been to The Ranch about 10-15 times. Usually this is not by choice, as it's a common place for those working in Macquarie Park to come on a Friday.

The first time I came to this place, I was heartened by the steak cooking guide posted neatly by the register. The guide was actually spot on and even referenced internal cooking temperatures, as such a guide must.

Unfortunately I can only assume that NONE of the cooks at The Ranch have ever seen this poster!

I have had maybe a dozen steaks and examined maybe 20 more that my co-workers ordered and have seen only a few that were cooked to order.

I like my steaks on the rare side of medium rare. Ask for medium rare at the ranch and most likely you'll get something between medium and well-done.

OK, so I decide to be civil and adjust my order on their behalf and ask for "rare". Trust me, I know that "rare" looks like. While not entirely unsuccessful, twice now the cooks in the kitchen have bounced a raw steak off the burner and given me something that would barely scrape in as "Bleu" (blue).

So I take another tack. I figure that as it's harder to cook steak on the bone evenly I'll ask for a T-bone and hope that at least the part closest to the bone will be spared. The first time I try this - success! Unfortunately the grill kids compensated for the bone the second time I ordered it and nuked it even harder to make sure even the bits next to the bone were medium.

Look guys, it really isn't rocket science. We come in EARLY on a Friday when the kitchen is not yet busy. There should be no excuse. Spend some time, study the cooking chart, teach your junior cooks how to cook to order, PLEASE!!!!

To Management: I have about 30 independent witnesses to the crimes against steaks that your kitchen commits. I'm not a chef, or even a cook, but if you like I can come and introduce the standard cooking chart to your staff if you can't.

I'm not even going to go into the under-cooked prawns, the blantant re-issing of someone else's meal to one of our party (clearly returned as it was beyond well-done, but labelled "Medium-rare") and any number of other issues. Let's just start with the steaks.

• Visited March 2011