“An old family favourite”

Sofia Pizza Restaurant
Ranked #26 of 154 Restaurants in Camberwell
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

We've been coming here for over 20 years; we love the warmth of the welcome and the family feel of this happy, noisy, cheap and cheerful place. Our children learned how to behave in restaurants here and now they've grown up and left home they often like to revisit this old haunt with their ageing parents once more. I don't think the menu has ever changed and why should it? A huge selection of Italian favourites, served in outrageous quantities with great joy. Quite a few of the staff have remained here for a couple of decades too. This place isn't for everyone; it's not delicate fine dining, it's more like visiting what I imagine an Italian grandmothers place would be like. It's a local institution for a good reason!

Reviewed June 21, 2014

The largest portions of tastless inedible food I have ever had. All of the dishes were monstrous not generous portions. Very very disappointing.

2  Thank Lisa D
Reviewed June 19, 2014

This restaurant is worse than terrible. It is literally, get in, take money, get out.
The waiters were RUDE, my partners beer was FLAT, and drinks were basically thrown at us on the table along with the food. Our meals were bland and too much. I had carbonara and I think there were atleast 3 large bottles of cream, 4 packets of pasta and atleast two packets of bacon in the 1 bowl. I would have been happy to have paid what I did to have a smaller serving that was delicious, not over the top.
Then when we went to pay, the man was more interested in the 'paypass' method to get rid of us, while he directed incoming customers to where they could sit.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

Sofia is suitable for a small party between friends, an evening family dining out. The dishes are valuable with plenty of food (even seafood) and vegetables. Pizza is good, crust is baked perfectly but other dishes is not really authentic Italiano. This restaurant is definitely not a place with dainty for couple or business partners.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

Took my girlfirend here early one Saturday evening.. Was immediately impressed by the attentive service and the excellent window seat we were given. Pizzas were awesome and the servings were great but the menu was slighly limited. Helpful and attentive service continued throughout and the final bill of $44 for 2 people was great value (along with our full stomach's!).
This place is very popular and very crowded. Great people watching opportunites exist and it attracts a very large Asian crowd. The restaurant is perfectly positioned just down from the Camberwell station with the tram running by as well. Nearby parking not too bad but Burke Road is very busy. A fantastic night out, highly recommended and I will return. Great for families too.