“No longer Wheeler's”

Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Fernhurst
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The current owners Johnny and Annie Portman have had The Kings Arms since May 2013 and have since then been striving to bring this pub back to a traditional country pub with a few modern twists! Nestling in the South Downs, The Kings Arms is a traditional English country pub in an historic timber framed building, dating back to the 17th Century. This Grade II listed building has been lovingly restored to its former splendour with modern touches offering a taste of how a real pub should be in a relaxed yet professional environment welcoming travellers and locals alike. Why not sit on one of our sofas by a cosy fire in the winter or in our large beer garden with stunning views in the summer months. If you want to extend you stay with us, we also have six en suite rooms in a converted stable block. Why not explore the surrounding area which is home to the Cowdray Estate famous for polo and golf, Goodwood Racecourse and also a number of beautiful National Trust walks and cycling routes.
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The Kings Arms Inn has just re-opened under new management, with an Indian restaurant, "The Banyan", in the barn. I have not tried it yet.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

My wife and I ate here on the 21st March. Can't understand the other reviews, but everyone is entitled to there opinions . The service the food quality and quantity are all good. Couldn't believe the taste of the food. I only had cauliflower soup for a starter. This is what I kept telling myself it is only a soup, but I can't describe the quality of what I was eating. This was pretty much the same with the main as my wife and myself had the calfs liver. This then took the occasion to another level. At this point the waitress came over to check if everything was ok. This was due to the expressions on my face and the fact that i was shaking my head slowly to the disbelief that liver could taste as good as this. I mentioned to the poor waitress as she looked clearly bothered that it looked like someone wasn't enjoying there meal that there was nothing to complain about. She then sighed with relief poor women, I thought I might have to buy here a drink to calm here down. We then only had sticky toffee pudding or so we thought. There is no only about anything you eat here as I am sure there is more sophisticated things on the menu than what my wife and myself ate that day. We then got the bill, no no heart attacks as you would expect to pay for quality such as this. The bill had a gratuity charge but we still left a £12 tip. If I really had to complain about something and believe me I don't , is the fact that I thought that the staff where a little in personable, but this a possibly due to the main people that eat here are high end business people. Sorry to those that didn't enjoy there visit, but my wife and myself will remember this special experience forever. Big thank you to Marco and all his team from Marie & Ian in Hull.

1  Thank CIPD
Reviewed March 10, 2013

This is now closed.Reading the reviews, i'm not surprised its closed!!!! Hopefully any new owners will be more sucessful.
Shame really as setting is idyllic

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Marco Pierre White has clearly sold on his franchise at the King's Arms in Fernhurst and it has been rebranded as a pub with a new, garish sign. I'm not sure what was wrong with the old name, as surely this serves to attract existing customers, but the main point is not to go here expecting crisp linen, lots of tables, a buzzy atmosphere and a large choice of food: it's a pub which serves some food, and that's it.

Admittedly we went mid-week in December but the place was dark and devoid of any atmosphere (or customers for that matter), and the man who turned out to be the new manager was propped up against the bar. No real welcome nor explanation of any changes - a PR opportunity missed.

The food available was only on the blackboard, and although adequate, there was nothing special or worthy of note here. The wine list to accompany the food was desperately short - only three unexciting reds, for example. Service was OK, but I do object to having to fish the tea-bag out of my cup!

I'm not sure how this establishment can survive, unless it intends to do so purely as a pub. Good luck to the new managers with this new incarnation. We won't be returning, in any event.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

We have had several good meals at Wheelers Kings Arms and had booked online ten days ago for tonight (20th Oct). We had a confirmation email and were looking forward to it.

A friend told us yesterday that the place had changed hands so we rang and were told it was no longer a fine dining restaurant and was now a pub that doesn't take bookings.

We have heard nothing from Wheelers and I notice that it is still possible to make an online booking for tonight.

It seems to us that there is only one question - are Wheelers totally disorganised or do they just not care about their customers.

3  Thank John B