“The most relaxing idyllic location ever!”
Review of Casa Susegad

Casa Susegad
Ranked #1 of 2 Loutolim B&B and Inns
U.K.
“The most relaxing idyllic location ever!”
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Well - where to start is the problem - the whole Casa Susegad experience was truly amazing - more than lived up to any expectations gleaned from having read through other guest reviews.
After a friendly and much appreciated welcome at the airport I was driven back to Casa Susegad through some magnificent scenery along by the river. Everything was so vibrant and lush - the monsoons had given nature a depth of beauty that was simply breath-taking

Arriving at Casa Susegad my excitement at having chosen to visit Goa during the monsoon season just continued to increase. I can quite honestly say that I have never felt so relaxed so quickly at any holiday destination anywhere. Walking through the gate of this magnificent 'home' ascending the colonial steps to the portico and straight on through to the gardens/pool area is simpley stunning and somehow instantly relaxing.

My room - the Rose Room - was exquisitely furnished with an extremely comfortable deep sprung bed fitted with crisp white sheets and such comfortable pillows. The en-suite facilities were the best I have encountered in India. Very spacious well fitted with copious hot water and spotlessly cleaned each morning.

The staff at Casa Susegad were very attentive in an unobtrusive manner. Starting with freshly brewed coffee in the morning through to a yummy breakfast including fresh fruit from the garden, morning coffee, lunch, afternoon tea, and evening dinner. Some of my favourites were anything to do with fresh mango. Special mention has to go to Jo-Anita for her superb culinary skills.

Although monsoon I used the pool most days during my stay. Spotlessly clean and warmer than the swimming pool at the leisure centre at home! It was a delight to swim/relax in such stunning surroundings. I recommend the yoga sessions too - you don't have to be super fit or to take yourself too seriously!

Other recommendations would be a walk around the village - you get a true sense of real Goan life and everyone you meet is so friendly. Try some jewellery making - with Caroles patient tuition I made two necklaces for gifts. I visited Chris the Artist who again made me welcome - I did't make a coconunt spoon - but I did buy one...

As a lone woman traveller Carole was very happy to show me around the town of Margoa including a little jeweller where you could buy fantastic stones at fantastic prices then take them to the setter who was happy to make them to your own design - wow!

Carole and Norman were great hosts always ready with suggestions of where to visit and what to do. They happily arranged any transport I needed with a very competent local taxi driver.

Would I go again in monsoon season - YES. Yes it did rain - but mostly at night and when it did during the day it was so hot it was refreshing. So go on - take advantage of the monsoon discount rate and book yourself some peace and relaxation at Casa Susegad a place that really does live up to it's name and well earned reputaion.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank NorthernLass0

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Manchester
Reviewed August 22, 2009

Casa Susegad was our final destination on our Indian travels and what an amazing way to end our journey. We had originally only booked 5 nights with Norman and Carole (the fab English owners), but the accomodation, food and company meant that we found it hard to leave so extended our stay to 10 nights. I can honestly say that we had the most amazing time at Casa Susegad and we were looked after by Carole and Norman (and their really lovely team of local staff) amazingly well. They really are the perfect hosts. My partner and I are a similar age to their children back in the UK which worked out perfectly for us as they doted on us during our 10 day stay and really included us in all their goings on; meeting their friends, taking us into Margao and showing us around the markets etc...We were also fortunate enought to spend the day with a very talented artist friend of theirs (Chris) at his workshop (i made a very impressive ladle out of coconut with a lot of help from Chris!). This is one of the 'days out' recommended by Casa Susegad and should you go and stay it really is worth every rupee. Carole also makes the most stunning jewellery in her spare time and offers you the opportunity to make your own too, the vast choice of stones and beads is rather bewildering but I did end up with a beatutiful necklace! You can also join in the thrice weekly yoga sessions which were great. The house itself has been lovingly restored and was a fantastic home away from home. The living areas and the bedrooms are very spacious, beautifully decorated and spotless. We were the only guests for the majority of our stay so had the run of the living areas, but there is ample space should Casa Susegad be full. There is also a huge snooker table which was the nightly venue of the ongoing competition between my partner and Norman! The pool area, located just off all the private terrace areas belonging to each bedroom at the back of the house, has the largest and most comfortable sunbeds I have ever been fortunate to lie on and the pool itself was incredibly clean. The gardens were also vast and immaculate. The village centre, located about a 15 minute walk away is not at all touristy which was great and we went on some really beautiful walks in the area. It was perfect to get a taste of the 'real' Goa. The dogs at Casa Susegad are also worth a mention. I'm not a huge animal lover but I was converted after our stay. They are all very well trained and the most lovely creatures, so if you are not a dog lover don't let that put you off staying here. I ended up hankering after a dog on our return to the UK! My final mention needs to go to Jo-Anita, the resident chef at Casa Susegad. As a local, Jo-Anita naturally cooks the most incredible Goan dishes but she also cooks amazing western food too. We opted to eat in every night (we did intend to eat in the village on a couple of occasions but just couldn't resist the food at Casa Susegad) and we were just blown away with how delicious the meals were. All in all, we had the most incredible stay at Casa Susegad. Even the monsoon rains didn't put us off visiting. I would whole-heartedly recommend Casa Susegad to anyone and everyone and we really hope to head back to stay soon.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
israel
Reviewed June 24, 2009

a beautiful Heritage Guest House that was created by a British couple that left UK and retired. it is worth every rupee. the place is breathtaking, the food is amazing, and most importantly Mr & Mrs Steen are a magnificent couple and were one of the most amazing people we ever encountered.
here is the website: www.casasusegadgoa.com
do not hesitate!!!!!
ilan and meytav

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
England
Reviewed June 8, 2009

Some very good friends of my parents recommended this absolute pleasure of a stay. Travelling with my brother we began and ended our stay in Goa spending two nights at Casa Susegad. I have to say, I was absolutely blown away with the sheer elegance and beauty of the building, panoramic views from the hilltop and the friendliness and kind natured staff.

The idyllic Casa Susegad is a renovated Portuguese mansion based in the beautiful village of Loutolim which was a million miles away from the busy hustle and bustle of Mumbai where we had previously been. Wandering around the village, we gauged a true sense of Goan life and appreciation for the true beauty of Goa.

The layout of the mansion was excellent, there was a large spacious lounge in which to relax, watch tv/dvds or read about where next to travel in India. The bedrooms were spotlessly clean, spacious and beautifully decorated which continued throughout the house. Comfy loungers surround the pool and hours can be spent gazing at the wildlife. Breakfast on your own patio was sheer indulgence and it really was pure relaxation – I didn’t want to leave! The owners, Norman and Carole were fully accommodating and gave extremely useful advice about where to go and what to see for our onward adventure. They recommended great places to stay and kindly booked our onward accommodation. Food/drink was delicious and plentiful, I would highly recommend the ginger and lemon tea which was an absolute Indian treat.

If you are looking for somewhere to relax, unwind then a visit to Casa Susegad really is a must. If you are a long-term traveller in need of some respite, then a couple of days here would be pure indulgence before onward travel or the dreaded flight back home!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Ahmedabad, Gujarat
Reviewed June 6, 2009

Its a once in a lifetime occasion and it wouldnt have gotten better than this. Two nights stay at the happening Taj Aguada Fort resort and our next three nights at Casa Susegad (Laid-back) was nothing less than ecstatic... We decided to spend rest of our Honeymoon at Susegad only after going thru the reviews on TripAdvisor and majorly after our discussion with the warm and courteous Carole and Norman...

The journey to the location (Loutolim) itself was mesmerizing alongside the Green and Luscious Zuari River and the shady climate added to the fun... We were greeted with a warm and welcoming smile from Norman and Carole and not to forget the ferocious looking but very friendly loving doggies (Lisa, Basil, Blondie n three more of em)... We chose the Rose Room which at the first glance looked soooooo Rich and colorful with a Bathroom as large as a living room with natural sunshine beaming and glowing the space. As we had informed them earlier bout our Honeymoon they arranged for a beautiful Candle Light dinner just outside our room overlooking the pool...

The Best part of our stay was that we were treated very exclusively as if we were their own family and the experience itself was a unique one (The reason why we are penning this down). The aesthetics of the property certainly needs a mention including the sprawling Garden (in a nascent stage though), the azure pool (where we had the best splash), the large lounge rooms with latest Home Video Entertainment facilities, a Billiard room (Sharon had her first lessons here) but above all, without Norman and Carole the Portuguese Palatial Mansion would look deserted... Three Cheers to them and looking forward to a stay with them again...

Ultimately... a place worth a mention and a visit... One can contact them thru www.casasusegadgoa.com for an unusually friendly and cordial experience..

• Liked — People
  • Disliked — Hmmm...
  • Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Zürich
Reviewed April 27, 2009

Casa Susegad is an oasis of peace and tranquility. We arrived here after 2 days of Bombay and an overnight train journey. To have an easy start with our 2 month trip in India with our 2 children (5/8 years) and to get used to the indian climate we chose a Casa Susegad, recommended by the Swiss Travel Agency Shangrilla Tours.
Surrounded by a tropical paradise of extraordinary natural beauty Casa Susegad offers a very fine atmosphere in a small guesthouse with the warm and charming owners Carol and Norman. They give very best advices to see the right places.
We were lucky to be in Goa but not to see the Goa we heard of, but to get immediatly an impression of Indian life in the close small village of Loutolim.
The kids wouldn't get out of the swimming pool and the hardest thing was that we stayed at the beginning of our long journey in the most wonderful place that couldn't be topped!

• Liked — charming atmosphere
  • Disliked — -
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Austin, TX
Reviewed April 15, 2009

The tagline for Casa Susegad is "the art of elegant idleness," and this sums up perfectly the feel of the place and the reason for going there.

As a travel writer, I stay in many different types of places all over the world. My stay at Casa Susegad came at the end of a busy, agenda-filled, crazy three week trip all over India. Constantly on the move and in busy cities in one of my favorite places in the world, India - and Casa Susegad was the perfect ending, providing me with an oasis of peace, serenity, and blessed idleness.

Many people come to Goa for different reasons - the beautiful natural surroundings, the beaches, the party scene. This is all to be found, but if you wish to experience the real Goa, the true traditional heart of Goa, and be pampered while you do it, Casa Susegad is the place. Far away from the hippie tourist invasion and the trappings that have changed the heart of Goa in other places of the state, the quiet village of Loutolim in South Goa where Casa Susegad is located provides a guest to experience the old Goa, and its beautiful people and hospitality.

In this four-room bed and breakfast, which owners Norman and Carol Steen have created in their incredible restoration of a historic Portuguese mansion, guests enter a beautiful oasis of serenity and quiet. Walking through the gates, one marvels at the four-hundred year old original mosaic tile floors, the furniture and artwork which the Steens have filled the place with, or the beautiful gardens and inviting pool. It's easy to not want to leave the premises at all, once you're esconsed here. The Steens are superb hosts, and will happily share with you the history of the house and the small village where it is located, as well as introduce you to neighbors - some of whom arrive to eat dinner at Casa Susegad.

The food is truly amazing here. I ate every single meal at the house. Each night was a different four course menu, prepared with the freshest ingredients that came mostly from either the garden right there, or from Mrs. Steen's morning visit to the market. Wines and beers are readily available, and guests can help themselves to drinks or snacks at any time, using an honor system to simply write down what they take. The inviting lounge areas, the beautiful pool, or a walk up the cliff behind the house for incredible sunset views, are all at your fingertips.

However, for those who wish to actually leave this magical oasis, Casa Susegad is not far from plenty to do. The guest house is a short car ride from a gorgeous, pristine beach that is not overrun by tourists; spice plantations and other full or half day outings are also available. But again, the place is so inviting and peaceful that you may not want to leave at all!

Another thing that really impressed me was the Steens dedication to preserving the environment and culture in their endeavor. They are huge dog-lovers, like myself, and six friendly dogs that were rescued are part of the family and may follow you on walks around the property. The Steens support the Goa Animal Welfare Trust. They are also very aware of the impact of tourism on the local population and culture, particularly by big outside corporations, and are dedicated to preserving local and sustainable tourism practices that benefit the people who live there instead of take away from them. Lastly, Casa Susegad is a case study in environmental responsibility, with solar water heaters and their own water purification and filtration system that eliminates the need for endless plastic water bottles that are piling up in India's trash heaps by the millions.

All in all, Casa Susegad offers a great combination to guests: the beauty of staying in an old Goan Portuguese mansion, beautiful and serene surroundings, incredible hospitality and service, yet close enough to Old Goa, the beach, and other outings that a visitor might want to make.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank WriterGirlAustin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Loutolim
Alila Diwa Goa
The Leela Goa
The Leela Goa
#1 of 10 in Cavelossim
Radisson Blu Resort Goa Cavelossim Beach

Been to Casa Susegad? Share your experiences!