“Hospitality at its best!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Susegad

Casa Susegad
Ranked #1 of 1 Loutolim B&B and Inns
Lucknow, India
“Hospitality at its best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Goa never fails to amaze me, there is a so much tranquility, nature, yoga, party...you name it.

Casa susegad is one of the best places I have ever seen/visited and I travel every month. Beautiful done up, tastefully decorated. The food is excellent and the staff is very co-operative, warm , friendly. Must see place.

Room Tip: each room is very unique
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

Very beautiful experience....Though faraway from beach but you wont miss it as the property is done in a true portugal side... its a quaint cottage and a very homely feeling to it and the owners Norman and Carole are such a lovely couple and its literally home away from home :)
Food is very delicious and absolutely home made......
All the staff were very friendly and made a very comfortable stay for us....
I loved the idea of all the pax dining together.
The rooms were very charming and didnot gave a feel of hotel room.....
All the ART Pieces were of put up with nice Aesthetic sense it really added to the beauty of the property....

Definitely will re visit the place :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
casasusegad, Owner at Casa Susegad, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Thank-you so much for taking the time to write a review. We remember your visit well and had such a lovely time with you both. We do hope you are able to visit us again some time soon and hope that things are good for you both in the meantime.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

This was my first trip to Goa and as I wasn't bothered about being close to the beaches, this looked from the reviews to be just what I was I looking. It was.....and much, much more. This is the perfect place to take your foot of the brake and unwind completely. The private terrace, pool area and gardens above are so tranquil and I loved making friends with all the cats and dogs who keep you company. The food was exceptional and great value when compared to UK prices. For the first couple of days, the owners Norman and Carole were away, but I was very well taken care of by all of the staff. Thanks also to Ajay for the wonderful yoga classes in a beautiful setting. I also had a great massage to further help me unwind in the treatment room in the garden. I literally had to tear myself away from the Casa and would love to return...one day soon I hope.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
casasusegad, Owner at Casa Susegad, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Thank-you very much for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. We enjoyed our time with you very much and have the fondest memories of our trip to Ponda to enjoy the Shigmo parade.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

We have been travelling for 3 months around S.E. Asia with the last month in India, staying in all types of accommodation from home stays to boutique and high end hotels. We booked into Casa Susegad as a treat for our final holiday stay and were really looking forward to our stay in what looked like a beautiful, traditional Goan property, with good reviews.

The main problem with this place we found as soon as we arrived is not the decor or the cleanliness or general facilities, it is the fact that they are putting themselves into a much higher rating of hotel or accommodation than is warranted, especially in India.

Although I had been in email contact with the owner prior to our arrival to inform them of our arrival time and was asked if we would like lunch prepared. No one really seemed to be around to greet us, eventually lunch was ordered and arranged for us, but at no time were we given menus with costs, a run down of the property or surroundings etc.

We had a nice dinner, which is offered as a two course or three course option only and ours consisted of roast capsicum starter, with bread, one Goan vegetable dish, one lentil dish and one Goan sausage and lentil dish, with a bowl of rice, pickles and lentils. Total cost for dinner for 2 adults and a 2 year old was 1800 rupees not including drinks. From a month's worth of travel in India, this was a really expensive meal for the type of food that was provided.

Next morning we were informed of the simple (inclusive) breakfast which by my photo(will try and add) was 'simple' and we ended up paying 200 rupees for a small plate of fruit to supplement and were told if we wanted cheese in our omelette it would be an additional 60 -80 rupees. By our understanding of the menu you would probably have had to pay extra for preserves and jam as we opted to only have butter with our bread.

Casa Susegad is in a tranquil village but this also means that it doesn't offer much choice of restaurant options, therefore you either eat at the place or pay for taxis.

The rooms are nicely decorated and definitely provide a peek into what these historical houses are like, but the mattress in our room was not up to the standard we would have expected for the cost of the room, with two single, Indian style beds pushed together so you had a bump in the middle. The bathroom was spotless but was basic with a nice tap fitting and a plastic lawn chair in it.

In total we felt that the price of the room, quality of service and food was excessive for Casa Susegad especially in India.

I would recommend this place for 1 or 2 nights if you want the experience of staying in a traditional house, but be prepared to pay above the odds and to accept some quirks.

I would like to commend Peter, the bar man who was lovely, gracious and a terrific host,
but unfortunately he only showed up about 5pm for his shift.

I would also like to add that the owners were out of the country during our stay and things might have been slightly different had they been around in terms of quality of service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank JoyfulLondon
Tripadvisor
review response
Carole and I appreciate all comments, posted by our guests.

With regard to this review we have taken some time to respond as we wanted to be fully appraised of events by our staff, as we have been in the UK for our daughter’s wedding.

It is worth pointing out that we did offer to address the issues whilst the guests were still at Casa Susegad, and had set up a Skype call for lunchtime on the second day of their stay but they departed immediately after breakfast and chose not to speak with us.

They arrived at 1.30 pm and were greeted by Felicidad. Rosario carried their bags as Felicidad showed them to their room and ensured that our welcome room pack, which explains how everything operates at Casa Susegad was laid out on the bed for them. She took orders for free welcome drinks, served these and then fetched Joanita, our most senior staff member, to discuss the day bed issue.

Carole and I had previously offered to provide an additional bed for their son but were told that this was not required, as he would share their bed. We are not sure what they mean by a typical Indian bed but all the beds at Casa Susegad have 8” sprung mattresses on ornate, solid teak frames. Joanita offered to install an additional 3’ single bed, or a cot, free of charge, but these were declined as they felt we should provide a small day bed that they could take up and down as required.

Joanita then discussed their lunch needs and they ordered salads.

When Joanita came back to discuss their evening meal at 2.30, as lunch was being cleared, they said that they had enjoyed their meal.

Joanita, being aware of their individual dietary needs, agreed the following dishes with them after this further consultation.
The starters were
• Individual dishes of sweet yellow capsicum roasted in extra virgin olive oil with garlic cloves and baby tomatoes served with fresh bread from our local bakery.
This was served at 7.15 pm at their own candle-lit table on the terrace as requested. Their main course dishes were served in covered brass bowls so they could help themselves.
• Fejouada - One of our signature and often requested dishes; a Portuguese pork dish with kidney beans, in a rich tomato sauce and with the best local spiced sausage providing the Goan twist.
• Dingri Mutter; Mushrooms cooked with fresh peas in a rich, spicy and creamy sauce.
• Channa Masala – Fat Kabuli chick-peas in a coconut infused masala.
• Steamed Basmati rice.

During the meal Peter was exclusively available to them to ensure they had whatever drinks they required.

At the conclusion of their meal they pronounced their delight with the food and asked if the remains from the serving dishes could be saved and served for their lunch the following day. Staff agreed to do this.

This bespoke meal is charged @Rs850/= (about 10 pounds) per person and these prices are in the menu in the room packs. We aim to serve guests with excellent fresh food, prepared to individual tastes on a daily basis. This cannot possibly be offered at the same rate as, nor compared with, food prepared en-masse in a general eatery.

As a consequence of this experience we will be updating our web site to include some sample menu choices together with prices.

Perhaps Casa Susegad was not the best choice for this family; our relaxed ambiance is not for everyone and our food is not average in any regard. They had negotiated a free “village breakfast” prior to their arrival based on a stay of four nights, which, despite their early departure, they were not charged for, nor did we make any cancellation charges.

We have the utmost faith in our staff. They have grown with the business over the past 6 years and are all now co-shareholders in this venture. Any suggestion that things might have been different had we been there can only hold credence if guests are prepared to engage with us; we were disappointed not to be able to speak face to face with this family as requested. On balance, we feel that the team did the best they could for them. We are, however, always sad if any of our guests are less than satisfied. We have been most reassured to receive personal (not tripadvisor) reports of excellent staff service and attitude from two other guests, whose stay was contemporaneous with this family.

We are very sorry that these guests did not enjoy their stay at Casa Susegad and hope that they will still have good memories of their time in the beautiful state of Goa.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

I awoke to what I can only describe as 'Paradise'. Liza the family dog, my new dog best friend welcomed me as I arouse for breakfast at my private terrace over looking the pool. I was in my element with there lovely pleasant, kind and welcoming staff catering to my every need. I shared my breakfast with lovely Tommy the cat curled up on my lap and the rest of the lovely family animals pottering around the magical property. The grand house has been renovated to a high standard with such love and care from Carole and Norman. It feels like you are staying in a grand medieval cottage with wonderful Indian wood work carvings at every angle, you walk on a traditional old tiled mosaic floors running through each room. As a single woman traveller they made me feel like part off the family and felt very much looked after - treated like a princess.

They have a magical secret garden at the back of the property that goes up to lovely terraces up through the jungle off the trees over looking the pool. You can hear a orchestra of animals in the trees including the local monkeys jumping overhead - amazing to see. I was constantly in ore off the beauty off this place.

I haven't stopped for two years with work and this was an ideal sanctuary to learn to relax again. Very therapeutic place to unwind. Had my first yoga lesson surrounded by the wonderful noises of the jungle easing my mind. Wonderful yoga teacher. Later treated myself to a fab massage up at the top of the garden in there open therapy room...pure bliss! Great Therapist...with all kinds off treatments i.e pedicure, massage an array to choose from.

Also ventured to spice plantation and got to ride a beautiful elephant. Recommend.

Home from home! Just more five star home at Casa Susegad.
Hidden Secret hideaway. I wish Norman and Carole would adopt me :)

Room Tip: All the rooms are wonderful. I had the turquoise room and was very comfortable. Middle room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Aliceinwonderland146
Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We had two nights in this lovely old Portugese house. Carole and Norman have restored this lovely old home, you are free to walk around the house and use the different rooms, all have a wonderful feeling. It's in a quiet village location, very peaceful, not on the beach if that is what you are after, but a car can be arranged to take you there. There arn't many guest rooms, they are quirky, rustic and each has a different colour theme I think, we had the rose room, and rose it was, lovely ambience throughout the whole place. You can sit on the terrace outside your room for dinner overlooking the pool, or some nights there is dinner at a big table in the dining room if you want to join the other guests and hosts. The grounds are lovely to walk around in, (the dogs will join you), pool is great, the yoga in the morning was good, and the massage I had up the hill in a gazebo was lovely. I really enjoyed my stay here, and still think of this as one of the nicest place we stayed in three weeks travelling round south India.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dale H
Lewes, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

My first trip to the Casa and I hope not my last. Went with one other family. Could not have hoped for more generous and hospitable service from Carole & Norman and their delightful staff. I have been to Goa a number of times now, and this is by far and away my favourite discovery. Frankly I wish we'd been there for weeks, but a long weekend will be a memory to treasure for many years. Can't recommend highly enough.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank John L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Loutolim
Beleza...by the beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,791 reviews
Planet Hollywood Beach Resort
Acron Waterfront Resort
Lemon Tree Amarante Beach Resort, Goa

Been to Casa Susegad? Share your experiences!