“Mediocre”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Byram
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Byram
“Mediocre”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Daytime staff is very helpful, nighttime front desk attendant leaves much to be desired. Unpleasant, rude, condescending, and acts as if working in the hospitality service is beneath her. Twice I called with simple requests and was given smart a$$ responses.

The rooms were very clean, and the bed was super comfy. Unfortunately at no fault of the hotel, it is located about 2 miles from a dog food plant. The smell is atrocious and nauseating. It's very difficult to get a good night's rest when it smells as if you're sleeping in horse stables. I won't be staying again because of that alone.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank cojo31812
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Byram, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear cojo31812,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. I am very glad that you found the bed to be super comfortable and the rooms very clean. I humbly extend an apology for the unsatisfactory service you received from the night staff. In addition, I am sorry you were negatively affected by the smell. Please be assured that all your comments are being reviewed by the management and actions will be taken accordingly. We hope that you take the time to stop in for a visit soon to see how we have taken every comment very seriously in order to make your future stays with us as pleasant as possible.

Karen G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This Holiday Inn is brand new, very nice good central location just south of Jackson, MS... only complaint was the smell coming off the freeway, come to find out there is a Dog food processing plant near by and was disgusting, however it never quite made it to the hotel, but we chose not to eat near by we went into Jackson.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mount Juliet, Tennessee, USA
Reviewed May 24, 2013

The Hotel was decent, my room wasn't even cleaned. I had to remove the last guests' bar of soap from the shower. There was fast food trash on the desk - really?? How does the cleaning crew miss that? The last guests' door keys were left by the tv. The woman at the front desk when I checked in was less than friendly. My dog has a way better personality. The woman the next morning when I mentioned everything I found wrong with the room could have cared less.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jeff C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Byram, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Jeff C,

We greatly appreciate your feedback of our property. We deeply apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the poor housekeeping service and level of staff service during your stay. Please be assured that we treat this matter seriously and actions will be taken by the team accordingly. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Thank you again for your comments.

Zelyn N
Lake Ozark, Missouri
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I booked here because I heard the property was fairly new. Area is nice with a reasonable amount of food and merchants in the immediate area. Unfortunately my room and parts of the hallway have a very unpleasant odor. My room has definitely been smoked in more than once, and has a musty, smoky, BO mix of odors that is mild but very unpleasant, and increases when the fan comes on. I can deal with some old smoke smell, but not along with the rest of the mix. I did complain to the front desk. She apologized, said other complaints had been made on that room, and that it had been reported to management in the past. She did offer to move me, but I had to leave for an appointment and didn't have time to move all my belongings at that point. I was recognized as a platinum member when I checked in, so I have to wonder why I would have been placed in a room that had a known problem. Actually I don't see why anyone would be, if there were any other alternatives. I see others have had the same experience in previous reviews, so I bet this in not a single room issue. Especially since the same smell is in areas of the hallway. Very disappointing, and will result in an unlikely return when I am in this area again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank OnTheRoadWarrior
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Byram, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear OnTheRoadWarrior,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comment, we truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. Please accept my apology for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay and if your stay was negatively affected by the room assigned to you. We are continually reviewing the products and service we provide, therefore guest feedback is very important to us.

Again, we wish to thank you for your input and hope to see you the next time you travel to our area.

Krysllin G.
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Staff is less than welcoming and friendly, actually they are just earning a check. This is the worst HEI I have stayed at. Rooms stunk, rented two, will never consider again. Stay away. Close breakfast early and gym has no working equipment. Junk!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank EliteTowingAustinTX
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Byram, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear EliteTowingAustinTX,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. I am deeply sorry for the unacceptable service you have received. I assure you that this is not the norm you should expect from our hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Janice A
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

I did not think much about the hard wired smoke detector hanging from the wall when I first came into the room but it was late last night.

At 3:30 AM that smoke detector starts chirping like a low battery although it is hard wired. I call the front desk multiple times. No answer. I get dressed and come down and find a sun that says "be back in 5 minutes".

After I stay down there walking around, trying to wake somebody up, look in the breakfast room, look outside to see if they are smoking, I see nobody. After 20 minutes I go back up to my room, try to call down again and still no answer. I decided to just get ready and go into work early.

You are on your own at this hotel. Unfortunately this is my second bad stay. The last time they had run out of the breakfast items and only had yogurt. It's a shame. This could be a nice property.

I did at 4:15 finally get somebody at the front desk. He said he had been doing something else "according to his job". When I asked him if that were more important than being available for the customers and he said nothing. He has finally come up to look at it, but I am wide awake now. Fixing it at 4:30AM is a moot point.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank TexasCyclist241
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Byram, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear TexasCyclist241,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am very sorry that on this visit you found the room's amenities to be less than satisfactory. Your review will be used to consider upgrades needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done in the future.

Again, thank you and my apologies for the inconvenience.

Pam G.
Louisiana
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We traveled to Jackson, MS and our visit required an overniight stay. We prefer to stay on the outskirts, so we decided on the Holiday Inn Express in Byram, about 15 minutes south of Jackson. The hotel is located at a major interstate exit with a couple other chain hotels and half-dozen fast food chains, gas stations, etc. It was easy on; easy off to get to the hotel.

The entire 200 square mile around Jackson, MS is rural and this area is no exception. There was some light industrial stuff along the interstate nearby.

The hotel itself was exactly what one would expect from the Holiday Inn Express brand ... a decent room at a decent cost; neat clean public areas, well-lighted parking lot, etc. all in a safe, easy-access location.

The complimentary breakfast was adequate.

We had no complaints.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Byram
Red Lion Inn & Suites Byram
Hampton Inn Richland
Hampton Inn Richland
#1 of 5 in Richland
Best Western Richland Inn & Suites

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Byram? Share your experiences!