“Doubtful Return”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Byram
Lake Ozark, Missouri
“Doubtful Return”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I booked here because I heard the property was fairly new. Area is nice with a reasonable amount of food and merchants in the immediate area. Unfortunately my room and parts of the hallway have a very unpleasant odor. My room has definitely been smoked in more than once, and has a musty, smoky, BO mix of odors that is mild but very unpleasant, and increases when the fan comes on. I can deal with some old smoke smell, but not along with the rest of the mix. I did complain to the front desk. She apologized, said other complaints had been made on that room, and that it had been reported to management in the past. She did offer to move me, but I had to leave for an appointment and didn't have time to move all my belongings at that point. I was recognized as a platinum member when I checked in, so I have to wonder why I would have been placed in a room that had a known problem. Actually I don't see why anyone would be, if there were any other alternatives. I see others have had the same experience in previous reviews, so I bet this in not a single room issue. Especially since the same smell is in areas of the hallway. Very disappointing, and will result in an unlikely return when I am in this area again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank OnTheRoadWarrior
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Byram, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear OnTheRoadWarrior,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comment, we truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. Please accept my apology for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay and if your stay was negatively affected by the room assigned to you. We are continually reviewing the products and service we provide, therefore guest feedback is very important to us.

Again, we wish to thank you for your input and hope to see you the next time you travel to our area.

Krysllin G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Staff is less than welcoming and friendly, actually they are just earning a check. This is the worst HEI I have stayed at. Rooms stunk, rented two, will never consider again. Stay away. Close breakfast early and gym has no working equipment. Junk!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank EliteTowingAustinTX
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Byram, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear EliteTowingAustinTX,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. I am deeply sorry for the unacceptable service you have received. I assure you that this is not the norm you should expect from our hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Janice A
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

I did not think much about the hard wired smoke detector hanging from the wall when I first came into the room but it was late last night.

At 3:30 AM that smoke detector starts chirping like a low battery although it is hard wired. I call the front desk multiple times. No answer. I get dressed and come down and find a sun that says "be back in 5 minutes".

After I stay down there walking around, trying to wake somebody up, look in the breakfast room, look outside to see if they are smoking, I see nobody. After 20 minutes I go back up to my room, try to call down again and still no answer. I decided to just get ready and go into work early.

You are on your own at this hotel. Unfortunately this is my second bad stay. The last time they had run out of the breakfast items and only had yogurt. It's a shame. This could be a nice property.

I did at 4:15 finally get somebody at the front desk. He said he had been doing something else "according to his job". When I asked him if that were more important than being available for the customers and he said nothing. He has finally come up to look at it, but I am wide awake now. Fixing it at 4:30AM is a moot point.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank TexasCyclist241
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Byram, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear TexasCyclist241,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am very sorry that on this visit you found the room's amenities to be less than satisfactory. Your review will be used to consider upgrades needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done in the future.

Again, thank you and my apologies for the inconvenience.

Pam G.
Louisiana
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We traveled to Jackson, MS and our visit required an overniight stay. We prefer to stay on the outskirts, so we decided on the Holiday Inn Express in Byram, about 15 minutes south of Jackson. The hotel is located at a major interstate exit with a couple other chain hotels and half-dozen fast food chains, gas stations, etc. It was easy on; easy off to get to the hotel.

The entire 200 square mile around Jackson, MS is rural and this area is no exception. There was some light industrial stuff along the interstate nearby.

The hotel itself was exactly what one would expect from the Holiday Inn Express brand ... a decent room at a decent cost; neat clean public areas, well-lighted parking lot, etc. all in a safe, easy-access location.

The complimentary breakfast was adequate.

We had no complaints.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Poor front desk help not the greatest maintained in an isolated area. Make for an interesting stay. Watch out for elevator that makes a horrible noise sure to make the bravest of us prefer the exercise of taking the stairs over it. Wins include hot breakfast and comfortable bed. Not one of my top picks.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Obi1234
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed here one night in July because all other decent hotels in Jackson were booked.
Upon check-in my husband said lady at desk was less than happy to be there. She gave him his " goody bag" for priority elite members that only included a water bottle and a peppermint. They usually include snacks and candy bars as well. But whatever.
We went to the indoor lap pool. As soon as we walked in, we gagged, it smelled of sewage. We realized the windows were open and the smell was coming from the repo trailer home lot next door. And there were no screens on the windows so I didn't feel very safe.
But our room was great! We had a double bed suite. The beds were very comfortable! My kids all slept until 10 am! (so we missed breakfast) I had no worries about the bed, floor, or bathroom bring clean.
Overall decent hotel, they can't help who there neighbors are.

• Stayed July 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Byram, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Dear Momof2queens,

We strive to give great and impressive service to all of our guests and it makes us happy to read we exceeded your expectations. We would just like apologize about the smell of the sewage coming from next door. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made. We look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment. Once again thank you for the wonderful and kind words of praise.

Orlando A.
Anniston, Alabama
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed here for a mid-June wedding in Jackson. The personnel were all friendly & helpful. The room was very clean with an extremely comfortable bed. The bathroom was very nice & clean. The breakfast was good with an excellent choice of items. The location has easy access to I-55. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Byram
Red Lion Inn & Suites Byram
#4 of 39 in Jackson
Hampton Inn Richland
Hampton Inn Richland
#1 of 5 in Richland

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Byram? Share your experiences!