“what a disappointment.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Zippo's - CLOSED

Zippo's
Cuisines: Australian, French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Zippo's encompasses two dining areas; a bar and grill upstairs for bistro style dining and a fine dining area downstairs. The Bar and Grill is more a family orientated, affordable and more casual dining option. The Restaurant downstairs is a modern Australian cuisine focused option. For the first Thursday and Friday of every month we do a $50 degustation menu which is a great way to try us out.
“what a disappointment.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

Well I was looking for somewhere really nice to take the mother in law . I looked through the sites online and found this place with all its rave reviews. As the restaurant wasn't open for Saturday lunch, and the upstairs area was getting rave reviews as well , I booked.
My heart sank when we turned the corner from Terry street into Merriman street to see this old building that seemed to be a bowling club..Now I'm not a snob ( although the Mother in Law is!)
but I could have just stayed at the club where I WORK IF I wanted that kind of a meal.
NOT ONE REVIEW MENTIONED THAT THIS IS A CURRENT BOWLING CLUB or an ex club. It all sounded so nice on the website , but frankly not the place worth travelling 80 klms for on a birthday celebration...From what I could see, the downstairs place looked OK , but upstairs is just a dumpy little place full of bowlers and some locals enjoying a bistro meal.
After all the crumbs were wiped off the table we sat down. The view was OK..i'M SORRY BUT kYLE BAY is not the prettiest bay around..( I'm from the Shire , I'm embarrassed to say, but there's nicer bays down there...Yes I know I should have gone there! but read the reviews on Zippos and you'd think it was a michelin starred place)
ANYWAY........... two of us had the steaks.. Tasty but tough, the chips were fantastic though.
Chicken schnitzel was apparently nice..
The desserts were nice ,as were the tea/coffee.
If I was after a quicky meal at a bistro, I would go again, if I was local, but for a nice meal in a nice venue, this is not your place,, I cannot tell you how embarrassed I was to take someone there..
This is the first time reviews from Tripadvisor have let me down..
I'm sure locals will object to this review but I,ve told the truth..
Well done to the chefs working in that tiny kitchen..

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank karen m

“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

We go to Zippo's a lot and love it! Upstairs is nice and casual and downstairs is more of a formal type restaurant. The meals are superb and tasty. Downstairs also caters for kids as well as upstairs and have suitable kids meals at both restaurants. Zippo's is a really nice restaurant for water views and has a really nice atmosphere. The waiters and waitresses are super friendly and helpful.

• Visited September 2013
Brisbane, Australia
“Nice views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

Spent a lovely afternoon here with friends for a birthday lunch.
Views are nice overlooking the water.
Food was very nice , but several of the daily specials had sold out.
My only complaint was that the restaurant is very noisy, but you can always go out on to the deck.
Would return next time we are in Sydney.

• Visited December 2013
“Mixed review”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Tried this restaurant after hearing great things.
The setting is pretty on the water and the decor is quite nice.
Was impressed by the complimentary warm bread roll with olive oil, balsamic vinegar & rock salt, and also with the amuse bouche which was very creative.
The entrees & mains were pricey- up there with some of the best restaurants in Sydney & unfortunately for us, the food and service were not at that standard.
I think the overall feel of the restaurant could be improved with more professionalism from their staff who seemed to know many of the customers & engaged in loud conversation next to other diners. Comments from waiters such as "that's our biggest menu item, most people don't finish it," then on clearing the table "how much did you get through" are well intended, but inappropriate when paying $38 for a seafood linguine.

• Visited October 2013
“Good value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Had heard about this restaurant and had been wanting to try it, very nice spot, with great water views,

They have a good menu, with a $12 lunch menu, which my dining mates said was great, the staff were very nice and also very helpful, they had shared seafood plate for two, but three of us wanted to share so they made it for three with a salad and it was very nice, the only problem was their coffee cups, they are a silly shape and difficult to drink out of

I also think they could do with a better choice of wines, they only had two choices of ssb and not very good brands

• Visited June 2013