“Lovely grounds”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Creully
Cumbria
“Lovely grounds”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

Stayed here as part of a school trip around France, in a room of 8 with only one plug wasn't great but we managed to survive. Food was okay, bunk beds were slightly awkward (they hurt your feet after a few climbs) and the rooms were cramped. Limited light. Wifi was on on the first night but was turned off. There is a playing field next door which is good for evenings. Classroom is an added bonus.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank elliemaydalton_

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

Having just visited the chateau with a group of 40 school children I just felt that I had to comment in light of some of the previous negative reviews. The place is absolutely perfect for school parties, with large grounds for them to enjoy and a variety of rooms with different sleeping combinations. Although it was short, the children absolutely loved their stay there!

Customer service at the Chateau was excellent - all of the staff we met were extremely polite and couldn't have been more helpful! Particular mention should go to Becky and Roland who made our party feel extremely welcome.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank jvassa314
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

The Chateau and its grounds are beautiful - very quiet and peaceful.

I stayed here with three friends - we had a room each. My room was extremely basic - no pictures on the walls, no side lights, no telephone, and it was so badly arranged I had to climb over the corner of one of the beds every time I moved round the room. The room smelt very musty and the bed was child size so I didn't get a great deal of sleep. However, the bathroom was immaculate - no complaint there.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful (all English).

We had dinner in the hotel on the first night and it was of a good standard though only two choices for each course. However, we decided to have dinner on the third night and asked to see the menu before we booked our table. The menu was the same as the first night!! Consequently we went elsewhere.

The breakfast was Continental and not very inspiring. Cereals, TINNED fruit salad, yogurt, ham and cheese plus bread and croissants. That was it - a toaster would have been a good addition at least.

If you plan to go to the Chateau leave plenty of time to get lost en route. Lots of empty lanes with no one to ask so we went round and round many times - probably reversing more than going forwards!!!

Overall, it was cheap and cheerful - I would probably return but I wouldn't recommend it to any of my friends.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank richmoonset
RolandAnderson, Manager at Chateau du Baffy, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you for your feedback following your stay at the Chateau Du Baffy, we welcome customer comments to improve our service and products.

Whilst I am pleased that you were happy with the standard and cleanliness of the bathroom I recognise that the standard of the room was not as you had anticipated. We have acted on your feedback by assessing the layout of the room for ease of the guests. I am sorry if there was a musty smell, please be assured that all our rooms are cleaned on a regular basis and daily when a guest is staying.

We always receive very positive feedback regarding our staff at the Chateau, and I thank you for re-iterating this. We have passed your comments to our team.

On investigation I can see that the two menus to which you refer were similar, however we do offer a different choice every night. I do hope that you found somewhere suitable to enjoy your evening meal on this occasion.

I was surprised to hear your feedback regarding the breakfast. We offer a wide selection including cake, fresh fruit, tinned fruit, croissants and pain au chocolat, brioche, a choice of meats, and a choice of beverages. Of course if there was something missing, we would encourage you to ask one of our helpful staff members who would be more than happy to assist you in finding what you require.

I am pleased to hear that you would return to the Chateau, and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future. Thank you again for your comments and the opportunity to address your concerns.
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

We have recently returned from a 4 night stay here.It looked and sounded great from the website.
We had no idea from the website that the Chateau was set up for school parties. The room we were initially given was so small as was the shower . The single beds were tiny child size . Not fun if you're 6ft ! The room smelt of sweaty bodies and the plug socket was hanging from the wall. No noise insulation through the partition wall...leave that to your imagination! We were given a better room on the 2nd night by the helpful lady on reception . It was more spacious with adult beds but noisy as the floor boards in the next room creaked through to ours when the guests moved about and their loo sounded as if it was next to our bed . This room also smelt grubby . The shower was blocked with hair ,which we removed !
Breakfast was basic . We did not sample the dinner menu as the whole place lacked the atmosphere we had hoped for .
A couple of staff were friendly and helpful ,but there was a general lack of real passion for the property and business from the staff, possibly due to the fact that it is managed by a student travel company .We made the mistake of thinking we'd meet a welcoming Monsieur and convivial atmosphere. We actually had to roam around knocking on doors to buy a drink to take to the patio at 9.30pm..
There were a few inconsiderate guests who were noisy late at night and due to the old floors and doors it was noisy.
The Chateau is in a central location for places of interest and the D-Day beaches and museums . There is no restaurant or bar within walking distance but Courseulle is about 5km away with a great atmosphere and range of bars and restaurants.
We wouldn' t recommend it ..such a shame as it could be lovely !

Room Tip: Ask for adult sized beds and a double. It will be beds pushed together but hopefully they will be fu...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hilary M
RolandAnderson, General Manager at Chateau du Baffy, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
It is disappointing to hear that your stay at the Chateau was not as you had anticipated. Thank you for your valued feedback, which we address below.

We always aim for high room standards and apologise you felt this was not the case. Please be assured that we thoroughly clean our rooms with antibacterial disinfectants and we ensure that rooms are regularly cleaned, audited and checked to a safe standard for all guests. I am sorry to hear that your room was not to our usual high standard: with immediate feedback we would have been more than happy to fix the plug socket immediately. I have addressed the issue about the shower plug with our housekeeping staff to prevent this happening again.

It is disappointing to hear that you did not feel that the standard of food at breakfast met your expectations. We offer a full continental breakfast, and had you raised your concern at the time, staff would have endeavoured to accommodate your request.

I am sorry to hear that you did not find the attitude of our staff to be as welcoming and helpful as our survey results and regular compliment letters suggest, therefore I have noted your comments and will address accordingly to ensure our service delivery is excellent at all times.

Thank you for your time submitting a review for the Chateau.
Winchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

I have now stayed at the Chateau du Baffy six times! The previous five occasions have been on school trips in March and April and this year I undertook a Summer break with friends. The main business of the Chateau is as an excellent base for visiting school children. It has never failed to delight the staff and children from our school. We have always been welcomed with great enthusiasm by Rowland and his team, the food has been excellent, the accommodation clean and comfortable. The service we have received from the team has been exemplary and nothing has been too much trouble. The Chateau is in a great location for visiting the many attractions of the area and most important of all is very safe, with much attention being given to health and safety and the well being of all guests. This summer I returned with friends minus the school children! It was great to spend time at the Chateau with its wonderful tubs of flowers adorning the front terrace. I would certainly return again for a private break in the summer when it welcomes families and friends and I will be here once again in 2014 with a school party. it is not high end luxury, but a good standard for the average traveller who does not want pretentious surroundings or extortionate prices.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed here a few years ago and thought it was absolutely beautiful. The building has a lot of character and is surrounded by beautiful lawns, a little river.
One room in particular I remember was kept to show the history of the building; the history of Nazi Germans taking over the house as headquarters. This room in particular was like stepping back in time and was incredibly historic and educational.

This Chateau is great for school trips or for quite/relaxing weekends away. It's a beautiful Chateau with beautiful surroundings and an interesting history.

As far as I am remember with regards to rooms and food. The rooms were basic but good for the amount of time you would be staying in them for. The food was good. You had the option to try French delicacies - snails and frogs legs.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Hilversum
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I recently stopped at this hotel on my way from Holland to Southern Brittany. From the booking site I used the hotel looked really nice, bright rooms with lovely high ceilings and big windows so I booked a room with an extra large DOUBLE bed and garden view.
The chateau is a beautiful building set in its own grounds in a very nice quite location and the staff are very friendly.
But thats where it ends as no where did it state on the booking form or hotel details that this was a hotel set up for school groups and they have those lovely rooms with high ceilings and big windows in the main building reality is if there is a school group in residence you will get put into the annex building such as I was where I ended up with a small dark attic room as far from the main building as you can be so a long walk for the free coffee.
When I got the room I saw straight away that the bed was 2 singles pushed together I pointed out that I had booked a double and was told there were no double beds at the hotel it was also not nice that there was also a set of bunk beds in the room as well taking up up a lot of the floor space. I couldn't even stand up straight in some parts of the room due to the slopping ceilings even though I had mentioned on my booking form about my extreme height and to avoid low ceilings. The carpet was stained and the bathroom dark and in need of a good clean as there was black mould around the bathseal nothing like the bathroom photos on the booking site and I woke in the morning to find ants at the sink and in my toilet bag which I had placed there.
As for the garden view even at 6'3" I struggled to see the garden from the velux window. You could not relax in the gardens or take your breakfast on the terrace as suggested in the booking site unless you are not bothered by groups of kids running about.
The evening menu is very limited and I would check it out before you commit to dinner and would suggest you take the 15 minute drive up to the coast where you can enjoy a reasonably priced dinner in several restaurants including some very good seafood ones.
Thanks goodness it was just a pitstop on the way to somewhere else I didn't even get a good night sleep worrying I would fall out of the single bed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Chateau du Baffy? Share your experiences!