“Get your reading glasses out.”
Review of Chateau du Baffy

Chateau du Baffy
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Creully
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Get your reading glasses out.”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Well I came as a group of 40 on a school trip, for GCSE French and History. When we arrived the Chateau, it looked amazing, with mass outdoor space, football pitch(if you want to call it a pitch) and a lovely patio with seating and tables. This was where we were greeted by the manager, who was very welcoming and layed down some rules and meal times etc. But when my friend raised their hand a queried about WiFi, he quite bluntly said, 'there is no WiFi', and laughed to himself. Now this may of been a mistake that our teacher made about WiFi being available, nevertheless my friend found this comment quite rude, and there was no explanation. So after this small hiccup of rudeness, we were given our keys and told to go to our rooms. Now I was in a room of 6 persons(3 bunk beds), although this was a squeeze, it was managable. It consisted of three bunk beds, a bathroom, a large dressing table with two reasonable sized drawers and a huge closet, with two or three rusty hangers, and a bedside cabinet beside each bunk. The bathroom was to some standard, even though it smelt like someone had tucked into a fillet of raw chicken, and used our bathroom half an hour later, the smell faded after an hour or so. Another complaint I certainly have to made is the growth of black mould growing up the window and the walls around. This is also the direction my head had to lay at night, with the
unknown microorganisms spawning just 10cm away from my head. So using the little survival skills I have within my knowledge, I flipped my pillow to the other side of the bed so i would be able to sleep with some peace in mind that it wouldn't be me making the next unwelcoming smell in the toilet.

After finding all the catastrophes in the bedroom, it was time for dinner, after walking down the stairs, across the patio and around the conservatory, we all sat for dinner and before us was A small basket of bread, not really enough to satisfy the number of people to a table, and some sort of lemon water, served in old orange juice bottles that clearly needed a bottle of bleach chucking on them to remove the disgusting stains, probably the offspring of the mould found in my room.

When the food was being served it always came in an order of teachers, vegetarians(aka fusspots) people with strange allergies(aka bigger fusspots) then the surplus. I was part of the surplus, so i managed to observe what alternatives were being served. These dishes looked rather tasty, so I was excited to see what was in store for the 'easy eaters'. This happened every night of our stay, and what came for us? A slapped on a plate, lukewarm....thing. For example, there was lasagne one night, that was 99.94% pasta, 0.04% tomato and 0.02% beef(or horse, as you never know these days) and another night, there was a fillet of chicken, in a suspicious looking yellow sauce, and a quarter of a raw mushroom slapped on top. The mushroom was lovely, probably the only thing I ate the whole of, but when I cut through my chicken breast, i saw nothing but pink, it was totally raw in the middle, whereas I actually was elbowed in the ribs by my friend next to me, trying to cut hers open as it was so dry and overcooked.

When we finished our dishes, we were encouraged by the waiters to pass our crockery up the table towards them, and I have to say, there was only two waiters who were the least bit nice to us, and they were absolutly lovely. Im not too sure if I can talk about staff personally in a review, but if I knew I could definately mention their names, I would, as they deserve all the praise possible. But as for the other waiters, they just looked tired and irritated.

After our meal, we went back up to our rooms, and we were welcomed with a warm, damp carpet smell. The air felt very humid, so using my legendary survival skills again, I attempted to open a window. It's just a shame i did'nt have a bottle of disinfectant for my hands afterwards, as the bacteria was having an absolute field day in all the nooks and crannies of the window frame.

After chillin like a villain for a couple of hours, it was time for bed. After a good nights sleep I woke in the bottom bunk, to be greeted by mounds of chewing gum lodged above my head on the bottom of the upper bunk. I have to say, this wasn't the nicest way to be greeted in the morning, but hey, you can't have evrything in this life.

Breakfast was ok. We had the choice to get up and choose our cereals, bread, cake, fruit, yoghurt and whatever floated our boat. I went for the healthy option of museli, as i was guilty of having a pot noodle the previous night as i was so starving after the poor meal. So I dished a ladle of museli for myself, added a splash of milk, and sat down. I had to say, it was very nice, although what i had noticed to fall to the bottom, was enough sugar to function Cadbury's factory for a good couple of decades, so I need a nutrigrain bar when i returned to the room.

We also had to make our own lunch at breakfast, which I was very grateful for, as there was a grand selection of meats, cheese and tuna. We made our own sandwich and one of the waitresses kindly placed in a bag and handed it back, to go with a set lunch of crisps, a cake and a bottle of water.

As for the WiFi, it turned out that there was indeed WiFi that we paid for, but we had to trek across the field and into the next building. I didnt really use it as I don't classify myself much as a tweeter or a facebooker and desparately needed to know that Justin Bieber is sat on his golden toilet as he tweets at two o clock in the morning. But we werent clearl advised about WiFi which I know some people were quite miffed about.

Despite everything, I have to say I had the best holiday ever, its a lovely place to stay with mass amounts of people, such as a school trip and I only would advise to clear any bacteria near windows or baths. And i would like to thank for a lovely stay

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank H Q
RolandAnderson, Manager at Chateau du Baffy, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
It is disappointing to learn that your stay in the Chateau du Baffy was not as you had anticipated.

We always aim for high room standards and apologise you felt this was not the case. Please be assured that we thoroughly clean our rooms with antibacterial disinfectants and we ensure that rooms are regularly cleaned, audited and checked to a safe standard for all guests. Furthermore, we have recently replaced all the hangers in the rooms.
It is regrettable that you did not enjoy the food; we have previously received positive feedback about our restaurant and we work hard to provide a menu that will be suitable for students and accompanying adults. Therefore, we are open to suggestions and will always try to rectify this, it is a shame you did not approach us to discuss this.
I have taken your comments on board about the staff; I was surprised to read this as it is contradictory to what our survey results and regular compliment letters tell us however, I have noted this comment and will address accordingly to ensure our service delivery is excellent at all times.
I apologise for the confusion surrounding Wi Fi at the hotel. At the time you visited wi fi was limited to the main chateau and the front patio which was explained to teaching staff. However we are pleased to say that we have now invested in the Wi Fi provision in order to give an improved service across the building.

Thank you kindly for taking your time to submit a review on your stay at the Chateau.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Warwick
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We had a family room (for 3) here in April 2013. The room had just been refurbished, and we were the first guests in there. Really enjoyed our stay here. As other reviewers have said, this isn't a luxury chateau, however, you have a beautiful setting with spacious grounds to explore (great for our 4 year old).The room itself was comfortable, clean, plenty of space and ours was double aspect which was lovely. Although there were two school trips taking place during our stay, we were in a different part of the chateau and were not disturbed by the children at all. It actually gave the place a really nice feel. The staff were very helpful and friendly, if not all particularly experienced or skilled - but they certainly had very good customer service attitudes. We had dinner at the chateau one evening, and the chef rustled up something child friendly for our son (most French menus seem to have the obligatory frites with every meal and we were looking for a change). The food was very good too.

Finding the place was a bit tricky - sat nav did not help much at all - so if you stay here I suggest you don't pitch up in the dark! As a base for exploring Normandie including Bayeux, this was an excellent choice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Our room was spacious and had its own bathroom. It is often used for school trips so there were many teenagers but this didn't bother us since the teaches were in control, the kids were respectful and we are both teachers. Breakfast was included and was okay but more variety would have been appreciated. It was a bit hard to find but worth it when I saw photos of my grandfather's WW2 regiment and lots of Canadian and allied forces artifacts.

• Stayed September 2012
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

An excellent choice for school groups visiting Normandy.

Rooms are funny shapes but work well, the only problem in ours was that we had to hold the shower head while we took a shower as the head wasn't staying up by itself but I'm sure this was a completely isolated issue.

The surroundings of the Chateau are beautiful, very quiet and peaceful. The bar isn't the cheapest but the service is excellent and the food is great.

Enjoyable stay and would recommend as a place to stay for schools visiting Bayeux, Arromanches etc

• Stayed September 2012
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

This Chateau is very special, charming and calm.
It stays in a very nice place, with a lot of nature at the meaddle of a very old, small and picturesque medieval city.
It's also very close to the beaches and others cities with all things about II War.
If you're looking for a luxury chateau it's not what you're gonna find. But its ok according to the price.
Chateau is a little old, but that can be charming.
It's not that easy to find. You're really gonna need a car and a GPS. But it's perfect if you want to visit beaches and smalls cities in Normandie.
Staff's very kind.
Internet not free.
Beakfast is good.
I really want to come back!

• Stayed July 2012
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Three of us stayed here in August 2012 to break our journey, as we were travelling further south.
I had read that the chateau was used mainly for school trips, so wasn't sure what to expect.
I was very pleased with our stay, yes the staff were all English and the waitresses were young and unexperienced but everyone was very helpful and we had some great conversations with the waitresses, they made a fuss of our 5 yr old, which he loved!!
There wasn't much choice for our evening meal but that is understandable, the chateau was quiet so you can't expect there to be a huge menu. We really enjoyed the food, it was typically French and very filling. Breakfast was buffet style with plenty of French breads, brioches, croissants which was lovely.
Our room was a big double bed and one single bed, with our own bathroom, it was a very big room with a lovely view of the garden, I found the beds very comfy and had a great sleep.
The chateau was perfect for our stopover and if needs be I would book again

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Jlynchy
Hampshire
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed at the Chateau for a couple of nights this autumn.
Lovely peaceful setting, lovely grounds. Rooms basic but clean. Lots of French charm and very convenient to visit the landing beaches of WW2, Bayeaux, Caen. Paris is possible for the day by the TGV.
Staff really helpful, food good and good value for money.
Great location for Normandy visits.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank annb3108

Been to Chateau du Baffy? Share your experiences!