“A great family experience on a genuine Australian farm”
Review of Lillydale Farmstay

and 1 more site!
Lillydale Farmstay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brisbane, Australia
“A great family experience on a genuine Australian farm”
Reviewed August 18, 2010

An easy hour and a half drive from the Gold Coast, is a magnificent working farm overlooking Mt Barney. Our family enjoyed warm friendly country hospitalitly. At the front door our kids enjoyed the dozen plus farm animals to play with at their leisure. The days filled with tractor rides, pony/horse rides, animal feedings, milking cows, egg collecting out of the barn, boomerang throwing, whip cracking, sheep shearing and more. After a day of fresh clean farm air the kids slept soundly whilst we enjoyed a glass of local wine and produce around the fire. Thanks to Farmer Doug and Family for a true Aussie experience.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 16, 2010

We stayed at Harper Room. Very nice and comfy room, I kinda miss the sofa and bed now.

Very friendly host from Lilydale. Although we reached there on a rainy day, but we were still enjoyed with the different experience, eg. Feed and Milk the cows at the Local Dairy Farm tour.

And, last but not least, I love the dinner. One of the nicest meals I had during the days in Australia.

Thanks to Lillydale Farmer Doug, Bec, Trin and Pam Hardgrave

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank ten1o
Ipswich, Australia
Reviewed July 25, 2010

We took our 2 young children Tiger (3) and Summer (15mnths) to celebrate Tiger's 3rd birthday. Both of our kids absolutely love farm animals, infact Tiger could tell you every noise a farm animal made before he could even talk! Lillydale was perfect for us. We only stayed one night, but this was ample time for the kids to have a go at all of the activities that were appropriate to them... feeding the pigs, horses, chooks, sheep, wallabies, deer, milking the cow... as well as both having a pony ride! We were made to feel so welcome... and I'm sure farmer Doug got tired of hearing Tiger say... " What are we doing next farmer Doug... Let's do this farmer Doug... Ok Farmer Doug..." but this never stopped farmer Doug from being super friendly and letting the kids get right up close and personal with all of the farm life! We will definitely go back one day soon the drive was beautiful and scenic and the views from our room were spectacular! My husband and I were relaxed and enjoyed seeing our kids spend time in the beautiful outdoors ... all with the comforts of everyday living in our own private room. We loved our weekend at Lillydale!

Reviewed July 23, 2010

Doug, mate, thank you for making this place so special. You made us laugh many times over and we are grateful to you and Pam for having us at your home! Pam, you can come cook for me anytime! A great farmstay that our family (2 adults, 3 young kids) absolutely loved.

• Stayed July 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 23, 2010

I took my three children aged 10,6 & 5 years for a winter school holiday stay at Lillydale and experienced a wonderful, fun and relaxed time from the moment we arrived. As a single parent holidaying alone with children, I had no concerns about their safety or issues with entertaining them while on the farm. Our days were filled with exploring the property, including the 'dinosaur cave'; twice daily feeding the animals; learning to care for the horses and of course, riding them; going on a tractor ride with Farmer Doug; and going out spotlighting one evening (a highlight being seeing a koala in the wild). We travelled 10 minutes one day to a nearby dairy farm for a tour- lovely, welcoming people and well worth the money to get hands on experience milking a cow and seeing a working dairy in action.
I took the kids' bikes and they were able to enjoy a safe ride in the great outdoors. Lillydale also provide some bikes and fishing gear to try your luck fishing in their 'lake'. We didn't catch anything, but had lots of fun rowing the boat!
I was able to experience some 'me time' with a massage (in our room) whilst the kids were occupied in Kid's Club. Basically, you pay for individual activities and can custom design your stay. I found this a great way to plan our days, keep everything at a relaxed pace and keep the kids occupied. There were other activities to choose, if the budget allowed, but we were very satisfied with what we did. It is necessary to prebook most activities.
We stayed in the Barney Room, the smallest room, but comfortable and adequate for our sleeping arrangements. It would probably be too cramped for a couple with more than one child, but the other rooms available or the Eco Cabin separate to the main homestead can accommodate larger families. During our stay, a number of other families also visited and it was great for the kids to have other children to share in the wonder of it all and to chase the guinea fowl with for Farmer Doug!
The kitchenette had limited bench space, but I had no difficulty in preparing our meals in the room. The room includes a full- sized fridge and I took food for our stay with me. Lillydale does offer a shopping service with adequate notice and for a fee. They will also prepare meals if arranged. I used this service one evening and was very satisfied with the meal provided.
The room and ensuite were clean and tastefully presented, the bedding was comfortable and warm and we enjoyed coming back to this space to rest. There were only 2 chairs at the small dining table and there was no dishwasher, but these were minor issues. Outside the room there is ample provision of tables (and bbq's) in a lovely covered entertaining area adjoining the pool- it was just a bit too cool for us to use these. We did enjoy the indoor entertaining space and fireplace to play some boardgames and read before bedtime. There is a pool table available for children aged 12 and over. In a separate shed there is also a table tennis table, which the kids enjoyed and near the homestead, there is a playground with trampoline, swing and rope ladder which proved to be very popular with the children.
Mt Barney National Park is a very short drive from Lillydale, but my family did not want to leave the farm! We will definitely return, perhaps during the warmer months next time, to experience the swimming pool and revisit our new friends (animal & people!). Overall, a great holiday destination for a family with young children.

Cleveland QLD
Reviewed June 30, 2010

I have always spoken of my wonderful childhood experiences of being brought up on a farm with my children. Staying on Lillydale has not only rekindled these great experiences for me but also enabled my daughter of 10 years old to experience and relate to what I have always described to her of life in the country with words. The best experiences at Lillydale are too numerous to list but include, firstly the wonderful country style dinners on the beautiful verandah of the historical queenslander, the lush green and naturally landscaped gardens and landscape, the very friendly farm animals, the relaxing horse riding through the country terraine, the many activities that we did not have the time to experience all of, the great opportunities to mingle with people from different backgrounds, the clean fresh air, the tranquility duirng the day and night, the opportunity to see a sky full of stars and no city lights or noise, and the friendliest staff who were always making sure we were at our most comfortable. I was very surprised at the level of service compared to what I normally experience in the non-personable city life. My daughter loved the Kelpie, Bandit who was the most affectionate and obedient dog who grabbed every opportunity to walk with us on our trails and around the farm.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Roskilde, Denmark
Reviewed June 26, 2010

Lillydale is an oasis, the nature is overwhelming beautiful and the people at Lillydale are so hospitable and friendly. Stress don't exist at Lyllidale.
I wanted to experience the australian country life and that I did in the best way. Especially I liked that the food I had for dinner was in the australian way.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rathdowney
Spring Creek Mountain Cafe and Cottages
#5 of 5 in Lamington National Park
Barney Creek Cottages
Barney Creek Cottages
#2 of 2 in Barney View

Been to Lillydale Farmstay? Share your experiences!