Review Highlights
Beautiful Park!

Myself, husband and another couple hiked this park in mid October of this year. Albeit the... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago
straitgail
Stunning view at the top

Hike - The Crack is our family's favorite in Ontario's parks. Worth to go every year and just to... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Wendy G

All reviews george lake georgian bay silver peak granite ridge la cloche provincial park fish and chips blue lakes hiking trails cranberry bog canoe trip bell lake months in advance down the road breathtaking views well worth the effort black beans
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I took my son's, age 11 and 5, for a father's day camping weekend at Killarney Provincial Park. This was our first trip to Killarney so we elected to stay at the Lake George campground. It is a small campground with only about 100 or so sites so it is hard to get a site in the busy season. Most sites offer average privacy, some are very small and can only accomodate a vehicle and 1 tent.
The campground has 2 nice sandy beaches, although the water was still too cold to swim in. The scenery from the beach is breath-taking with beautiful sunsets over the La Cloche hills. One thing that I didn't like is that the main comfort station was quite far from our site and the hills in the campground were too difficult for the kids to bike up. That's my only qualm.

We hiked "The Crack" trail which is 6km long and leads you to the top of one of the white quartz mountains. The trail gets pretty difficult at the final ascent and was pretty tough for my 5 year old. The view from the top is amazing and is worth the climb. Both boys were dead tired by the time we got back to the car.

We also rented a canoe from Killarney outfitters, which is a 5 min drive from the park. You pay for your rental and pick up your paddles and pfd's at the store and they give you a key to your canoe, which is at the beach at George campground. So no carrying or transporting your canoe. After you are finished you return your supplies to the store. They even have drop off bins for after-hours.

We only spent 2 days at the park and I will definitely return for a longer visit next time. Although I think I'll take our trailer though, as hearing the animals outside your tent at night was a little un-nerving for the kids, and me.

Also, there are no electrical sites at the park.

15  Thank Jonathan R
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have visited Killarney Park probably over a dozen times and I have to say it is spectacular! It is great for families, but is best enjoyed in the interior. The scenery is breath taking, it is a geologic wonder, and the wildlife is abundant. I particularly love lake Killarney, which is just two portages away from George Lake. There are many great trails, but don't miss out on hiking to Silver Peak, the highest summit along the La Cloche range, the veiw is amazing!

6  Thank Dana J
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I love, love, love this park. It is one of the most awe-inspiring places I have ever had the joy to visit. I have visited this park twice once as part of an extended family with kids and another with just my husband. The kids whose age ranged from 7-16 all loved it. With all the hikes, the fishing, the canoeing and kayaking there was something to please every one in our group.

Can't decide what I liked best about the park the hiking or the kayaking! Did many of the hikes, enjoyed the stunning views of the La Cloche and of Georgian Bay. Enjoyed a day of portaging a few lakes over from George Lake.

Highlight of our trip was a hike out to AY Jackson lake as a group where we picnicked and cliff jumped into the lake, while large fish kept swimming up beside us!

Best thing about the park: the scenery, sunsets are amazing, you feel like you are in a group of 7 painting

Worst thing about the park: always hard to book a site there! book early if you want a guarantee.

2  Thank Wintfp11
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed here last summer, primarily just for something to do, and for somewhere to go with my new (used) motor home.

I was instantly surprised with the spacious site I had purchased...........sorry can,t remeber the number of the site. I had room enough for an suv and a small motor home.....there was of course a picnic table and fire pit provided. I believe I pd. $42/night. This was without electricity, ( which I didn,t request or need).

We then rented a canoe from a company that keeps them right on site and close to the water for approx $30 for the day.

I was pleasantly surprised that no motor boats were allowed on George Lake.... and is there for a very quiet and clean lake.

There are activities going on at scheduled times that you can participate in if you choose. And its all included in the price. I took a water color art class one morning, right on the beach. They were teaching the style of the famous seven painters ( well known for their paintings in Killarney, and throught the world.) It was here I learned how to make a reflection :) .

My friend liked to go for walks and hikes and theres plenty of opportumnity for that. We also watched a vidieo in their outdoor amphitheatre and then went on a owl prowel.

I thought the showers were very clean, and in general that the facility was well looked after and maintained.

Now, living in Muskoka, and comparing everything to Algonquin Park, which I think can be hard to beat............I now hold Killarney Prov. park in the same kind of sacred estime. Should I dare say, maybe even better???? I guess thats a mater of opinion. I guess I love them both equaly.

I was sad to leave last year, but am planning to take my grandchildren up this summer. I believe their taking a few reservations on and after April 26 for a little while. Then it will be on a 1st come, 1st served basis for the most part, I discovered while attempting to reserve a few days ago.

If your looking for a great tenting, motor home/rv/Yurt experience, I can safely say this will not disapoint, but may even exceed your expectations. This is true, raw, pristine nature at its finest, and can be hard to match..

Oh yes, in this region, as is the case in Muskoka you may see lots of wild life, which is cool,,,, but, please have respect for it. The massassaga rattler is common here as it is in Parrysound and other areas. They rarely bite people.....but if you step on one it wil likely strike.

I work in a hospital which is a major centre/depot which provides antivenom. We,re only seeing approx. 5-7 bites per summer, and this includes a very large reigion including Midland/Owen Sound to name a couple. No-one dies from these snake bites, but it can certainly put a limb at risk. So be careful about reaching for something in the tall grass, or picking up a snake ect.

The bears are truly magnificant to see, but don,t try to attract them to your site by offering or leaving food around. I,m sure you know all of this, but it pays to educate your self about their habits and behaviour encase you get to up close and personel.

9  Thank 487traveller
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We got the best camp site in the area. It's where you can watch sunrise and sunset everyday on a clear summer day. It's one of the most expensive to reserve but it was well worth it. A bear even visited us in broad day light, on a hunt for food. It was a wonderful experience, albeit unnnerving, to see a wild one for the first time.

We rented a canoe at Killarney Outfitters for a fair price.

Ask the staff about a number of hiking trails in the area. We took up The Crack trail. They say it takes about 3 hours two way, but we did it in 2. The climbed up the rocks was pretty steep. But the panoramic view of La Cloche Mountains is pretty stunning!

13  Thank ROADK21