“OUTSTANDING - WORLD CLASS”
Review of Tawhiti Museum

Tawhiti Museum
Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Hawera
More attraction details
Owner description: Tawhiti MuseumWidely acclaimed as one of the most innovative museums in New Zealand, Tawhiti uses life size exhibits and scale models to capture the past in a series of super-realistic displays. All the displays – including the life size figures created from moulds cast from real people – are designed and built on the premises. Whether the subject is shipping, farming, railways, or just a small corner of a colonial kitchen, the attention given to research and detail is the same. “I hope my enthusiasm for local history comes through the displays. I’m particularly aware of drawing children into our exhibits – they mustn’t feel museums are old buildings, full of old dusty junk. Historical display should be exciting and relevant – I’m always looking for more creative ways of making it just that” Nigel Ogle.
Reviewed May 8, 2014

What a treasure, what a find. Outstanding, incredible, world class....... we arrived at 1pm thinking we would be there maybe 1 - 1.5 hrs, Wrong; there 3 hrs and only left because it was closing time. The last hour was just getting an overview of what we could see next time.
We are going to spread the word about this place, we have travelled extensively around New Zealand and also over seas there is nothing to compare. Allow a full day, there is a nice café there too.
Something for every age and every background. A must see.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

This is one of the best private museums in New Zealand constantly evolving and expanding. A must see if you are in Taranaki especially if you are interested in New Zealand history. The owner is a master craftsman making both lifesize and miniature models. Something for all ages.There is a cafe and souvenir shop on site too.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

This museum taught me so much about my ancestors! Such a gorgeous and detailed display. A huge variety on show- old tools used by the maori people, weaponry and clothing. The history of the maori people has been displayed with much respect and detail. It was hard leaving this little museum- I learnt so much here! Oh you can go for a ride on a boat that'll take you through the time of the maori people when the white people started to come- must try this. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Amazing local museum with lots of local history and exhibits that bring the history to life.
Models of people based on real local folks are included in many of the exhibits which bring the collection of historic artifacts to life.
The Maori pa models with their miniature life like figurines are amazing and illustrate the life and times they depict very well.

We thought that the boat ride(sold separately $12) was well done but not really worth the money and did not add to our experience.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

second time in a year, but this time with extended family. There were 21 of us. ages ranged from 3yrs up to 72yrs! (7 kids + 13 adults). I was so impressed after my initial visit last year that I recommended this place as one of our family group activities over a long weekend in Jan celebrating my parents 50th wedding anniversary.
Wasn't sure if my younger sisters & their husbands and their kids would enjoy, but they were all mesmerised and in the end it was a "mission" to get every one to leave so we could move on to our next activity up at Dawson falls. my wife wishes the whalers & traders boat ride was longer.
only down side was we were ineligible for a group discount. apparently has to be a bus load of 30+ people.