Book In Advance

from $199.00
More Info
from $37.50
More Info
All reviews thai border the cliff pickup truck day trip ticket office siem reap mountain top wheel drive stunning views steep road foreign tourists bullet holes international court of justice an adventure thai army long drive worth the effort
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Preah Vihearr is about a 3hr drive from Siem Reap and well worth the effort to get there. The drive is very pleasant as you pass through some gorgeous countryside on the way. We went with San Park who is a very safe driver, reliable, knowledgeable, has a good sense of humour and speaks good English. He can be contacted on: sanpark.angkor@googlemail.com. I would highly recommend him.

Take your passport with you as there is no charge for foreigners (at the moment anyhow) to visit the temple. The return cost to go up to the temple is either $5 each on the back of the moto or $25 per group per ute. We were so glad we took the ute option as it allowed us to take wonderful photos as we wound up (and later down) the hill. I think on the back of a bike I would have been hanging on for dear life!

You are also encouraged (by the driver of the ute) to buy a carton of cigarettes to hand out to the army guards on the way up the hill. This is a very strange thing to do but we decided to go with the flow and the soldiers were very friendly as they collected them.

We spent 2 hours at the temple. I am not a huge historic temple person but this one is well worth the visit. Make sure you go to the very last level as just past this there is a brilliant view out into the valley and Thailand. The temple is spread over several levels and is long and narrow (nearly 800mtrs long). There are also quite a few lovely shady spots to sit down and have a cool drink (sold by several vendors there) if you need.

Date of experience: July 2014
13  Thank Gina H
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

The new world heritage of Cambodia located along the Cambodia and Thailand border. The peaceful windy temple on the top of Dang Rek mountain, but the road to go up to temple structure is very steep. Recommend you to hire pickup rather then moto bike if you plan to preach vihear temple.

5  Thank pinvannak
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I received a personal guided tour from San over the course of 2 days to several temples. He was always on time and his car was very clean. He was very laid back and offered to take us anywhere we wanted. He went above and beyond what I expected in a tour guide. San's customer service was spectacular and he showed us many things that most tourists probably never see. He has great knowledge of Siem Riep.

I would highly recommend contacting San for a tour of Siem Riep and all of the temples. Thanks San!

Date of experience: May 2014
4  Thank Ahmed R
Reviewed July 4, 2014

The temple located on teh border between Cambodia and Thailand was a dispute between this countries for long time. In 2013 the UN decided that it's on the territory of Cambodia, If you want to visit it from Siem Reap you need to leave the city NLT 06 AM because it's a drive from +/- 4,5 hours, Privat car cost you araund 120 US$. With bus +/- 50 US$ but the last 30 minutes you need to take a private car or motobike (price: ?). To go up to the hill you can choose between motobike (10 US) or 4x4 car (25 US$ for the car). If you have time you can bombine this trip with a visit to Koh Ker and Bang Maleah on the way back but than you need to stay overnight. For the most courageous among us: there is a panoramic vieuw but it's +/- 2.200 steps uphill.

Date of experience: June 2014
Reviewed June 30, 2014

This is a place that even most Khmers have not visited. Many governments recommend that you not visit because of the tensions over its status but I did not feel any danger. To be sure, the Cambodian army and police are on site and constantly watching the Thai border but no shots have been fired since 2008. The bigger danger is from the ruins themselves which are mostly in unimproved condition.

I made it a day trip from Siem Reap. Taxi hire was $100 which took me to the bottom of the hill. From there I hired a motorcycle ($5) for the short (but very steep) trip up to the temple area. Unlike the better known temples, there are no vendors pestering you and the whole site is very peaceful. Bring water and other supplies you may need. Contrary to the advice in guidebooks, it is not possible to cross the Thai border near here.

Date of experience: November 2013