“Stunning views”

Book In Advance
More Info
$199.00*
and up
Day Trip to Preah Vihear Temple and Koh Ker...
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Our trip to Preah Vihear was amazing! Especially our tour guide Mr. San (012 788 354) turned it into a very smooth and enjoyable experience. The ride to the border is fairly long, like 3 hours, and the scene is odd at times - you experience a mix of military personnel, monks and local visitors - and it all makes one curious to discover every corner of the temple site. The ornaments of the Hindu temple, which is devoted to deity Shiva, are great to view and you see for instance the Churning of the Ocean of Milk. I highly recommend a tour guide like Mr. San who is very knowledgable to explain each every level. Surely you will enjoy the stunning views from the top towards Thailand's Surin state and Cambodia's Preah Vihear province. An expperience not to be missed! For more info check Mr. San's webpage too http://www.angkor-temple-guides.com/Home.aspx

Date of experience: May 2014
in 8 reviews
"foreign tourists"
"bullet holes"
in 6 reviews
"international court of justice"
"an adventure"
in 12 reviews
"small town"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

Prior to my trip to Cambodia, I read about this temple and I told myself that I must not miss it. The tour fee of around $135 is too much since I was travelling alone. I made an arrangement with Kouch, the nephew's owner at Bun Kao Guesthouse for $80 for a moto ride. Still a lot of money but it was worth it. For a solo female traveller, I also had to consider my safety. I will surely come back here. It's a long, tiring trip but it was worth it - the temple, the views were SPECTACULAR!

1  Thank tish0301
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Preah Vihear Temple is one of the best situated temples in Cambodia. Get there before it's a major tourist attraction.

It's easy to hire a car and driver in Siem Reap and it's manageable for a day trip (prices vary from $120 through to $160 for a day trip and you can add an additional $25 to $40 for an overnighter) We chose to stay overnight and go past Koakan temple on our way back. There are several guest houses in Preah Vihear village and a hotel in the outskirts, prices are average around $10pp for a double and $15 for single, more $$ at the hotel. There are several restaurants near the guest houses for food.

The current situation with Thailand is good since the recent court ruling deciding that Cambodia should have the temple in keeping with the rest of the UNESCO sites, but there is still a large police/army presence, which does not distract from the temple or setting. The tickets for this temple are still free but there is a cost for the ride up the hill (1 person on a moto $5 or up to 6 in a 4x4 for $25). The only way around this is to walk up the hill........2hr+ walk.

The temple is in 3 stages with the final building perched on the apex of the mountain with stunning 360* views.

Well worth the trip. So grab some friends and go for it, you will not be disappointed.

Date of experience: May 2014
1  Thank Jacqui A
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I got to say that this is my favourite temple of all. Getting there requires quite a bit of effort but it is well worth the journey. Besides the long distance, everything else is just perfect.

My husband and I engaged a guide, Mr Narin (angkornarin@yahoo.com) for the trip to Preah Vihear. We started early at 6.30am as we would like to drop by Banteay Srei and also Kbal Spean before Preah Vihear. It was indeed tiring but it was all worth it. Being early also means that there is practically only a handful of people at Banteay Srei and Kbal Spean. I honestly have to say that I enjoyed both sites so much because of the extreme silence. After Kbal Spean and lunch, we begin our drive up to Preah Vihear which was a very pleasant journey.

We took the motorbike ride up to the base of the temple. The ride was exhilarating and very thrilling! Entrance to Preah Vihear is free and the ride cost us USD5 per pax for a round trip. Preah Vihear is just beautiful, beyond words can describe. Our guide Mr Narin was very knowledgeable and shared many wonderful stories about the history of the temple with us. At the end of the temple, you will arrive at a cliff which has a magnificent view. Mr Narin took many wonderful and great pictures of us, and one of them has became my desktop wallpaper of course.

If you have an extra day, or rather, plan an extra day during your trip to visit Preah Vihear. I highly recommend this temple and also our guide, Mr Narin who is a great company.

Date of experience: April 2014
1  Thank wendychua85
See more reviews
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Getting here can be a little bit of effort however you should be able to find someone who will get you there and back in a day from Siem Reap. It is actually a pleasant drive in the countryside to get here and the tiny fees they charge are well worth it. Your normal transport will probably only take you as far as the bottom of the hill and you'll end up jumping onto a bike to get you to the tiny group of huts near the temple itself. From there you get to wander about a very old, nicely rendered temple. The crowds of Angkor Wat are left behind and there are some nice shots possible not only of the temple but also of the surrounding countryside.

Do not be put off by the military presence here as it is not unpleasant, merely a result of some tension between Thailand and Cambodia, the former actually being visible from the temple.

Well worth a day out just to see a different temple and get far away from the crowds. And the place is blissfully under represented in the annoying hawker stakes! Highly recommended even if it doesn't have the scale of Angkor Wat.

Date of experience: May 2013