“Bait & Switch - Add some frustration to your vacation!”
Review of Hotel Himmelrich

Hotel Himmelrich
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Kriens
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Pros: The view is incredible - but then again, there are few places in Switzerland where it isn't. Camping, for instance. Camping in Switzerland has incredible views. And a similar level of service and amenities.

Cons: Overbooking is very common at this hotel and you will be rerouted (upon arrival, no prior notice), to more run-down hotels far out of the way - all while being charged full price.

Cons: If you're lucky enough to keep your room, there are a plethora of issues and false advertisements to irritate you for the rest of your stay.

---------------------

Details:

My husband and I booked months in advance and received the "your reservation is guaranteed" notice. Upon arrival, we received the standard greeting, "Hello! Here's your room key; I see you're paying for a week's stay; let me take that credit card from you; *we'll need you to leave tomorrow because we're overbooked*; enjoy your evening!" Wait... what? Maybe I was missing something about Swiss humor, etiquette, or something - but you just charged me for a week and you want me to leave... tomorrow?

After confirming that yes, we heard correctly, we decided that possession was 9/10ths of the law and quickly populated our room with all our luggage. Not knowing what time the eviction notice was going to arrive, or where we would go, we set about investigating the room. Over the course of our stay we experienced the following 'shortcomings':

1. The shower explodes. Imagine that you've just jumped in a nice, hot shower. The sweat and excitement of the day has passed, and now it's just you, your shower, and a nice dry towel waiting for you when you're finished. Without warning, the water pressure fluctuates ever so slightly and *BAM!* the showerhead whips back against the wall, spraying water wildly over the top of the shower stall, right on to your dry towel and soaking the only roll of toilet paper. Repeat scenario whenever you adjust the water temperature, or accidentally brush your elbow/other body part against the shower hose.

2. I've made smaller pillows out of queen size comforters. At one point, I thought that's exactly what the pillows were - just queen size comforters stuffed in a pillowcase. They might be - but the pillow cases were sewed shut on both ends, so we may never know. After a while, we gave up on the impending disc rupture and dug up our airport neck pillows.

3. No room cleaning - not even a change of towels or replacement shampoo. Below I'll describe how we were able to stay for more than just the 1 day before we got kicked to the curb (oh joy!) - yet nothing ever got changed... not sheets, not the garbage, not a fresh roll of toilet paper, not even the towels - which after a few days were sopping wet from the exploding shower...

4. No TV, hairdryer, reading light, other standard amenities
5. Restaurant was closed indefinitely due to "problems"
6. No shudders or blinds on the windows (woo hoo for peeping toms and 4:00 AM sunrises)
7. Burned out lighting left stairs and hallways dark

The following day, we wondered if it would be a terrible shame to have to leave. After all, we could find greener pastures. Reception quickly corrected us that, no, there would be no refund - but rather we would be sent to a 'sister' hotel. Furthermore, it would take several additional hours to coordinate with the sister hotel - and we would need to be available the whole day to find out where we were going, pack up our stuff, and go there.

So naturally we walked right out the front door and got on with our vacation. We half expected to return to find our stuff spread out on the front lawn. Fortunately that didn't happen, but we did return to receive a stern, "We made it work THIS time, but in two nights we have another overbooking and you really have to leave."

Two nights and several exploded shower episodes later, we were referred to a sister hotel "30 minutes drive away" that ended up actually being 45 minutes and a ferry ride away. We were given only the name of the hotel at first - I had to specifically *ask* for the address and the phone number. Considering the fishy vibe I was getting from the Hotel Himmelrich about this place, I wanted to confirm that this other hotel was actually expecting us.

The place we were sent to doesn't have a website... we drove to the address and it doesn't exist there (it's a private residence)... and the phone number doesn't get answered (straight to voicemail... for 2 days in a row). We drove around aimlessly wondering if there were two places with the same address on the lake for a long time, when I gave up and called the Hotel Himmelrich's number. Rather than calling the front desk, however, I was calling a central operator who works for multiple hotels in the area and had never actually seen the hotel we were sent to.

We continued to drive around wasting gas, vacation time, racking up cellphone charges by the minute, and becoming increasingly frustrated when we finally hit a threshold. We declared that we were either getting a full refund and finding our own hotel elsewhere - or we were coming back to the Himmelrich, claiming our room again, AND getting a refund for the hassle. The operator said that she was located at a *different* sister hotel, and that she would issue a different hotel room *and* a refund if we would just drive there.

So we drive an hour and a half to this *other* sister hotel. We get there - they have no clue who we are, who that lady was, why we're asking for a refund - but they'd be more than happy to sell us a room. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... are.. you.. kidding.. me.

After a while, we worked out the details with the second sister hotel's front desk. They were actually incredibly nice and helpful and worked their butts off to right all the wrongs the Himmelrich did - including refunding us the difference between what we paid and where we were staying. But I will never be staying with the Himmelrich again - nor would I ever recommend anyone risk booking there.

Like I said up top, if you want a view, go camping. If you want frustration with your view, go to the Himmelrich.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank G P

Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located about 10min by bus outside of Lucerne and then a 20-30min uphill walk to the hotel. We stayed here while on Contiki. It is a very quiet and picturesque location and the breakfast was satisfactory. The bathroom however left much to be desired. The ceiling was covered in mould as was the interior of the very tiny shower. Tge shower was not clean at all and there was no space to put soap, etc. Because of this the room smelled damp all the time and we would wake with sore throats and a cough in the morning. I would not stay here again despite the superb view.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Lauren01_10
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This hotel is AWESOME! The location is about a 35 euro cab outside of Lucerne, in the little village of Kriens. It has a FANTASTIC view of the city below and the gorgeous mountains surrounding the hotel. Its nice and quiet, very relaxing. The staff are EXTREMELY friendly and accommodating. The rooms are large and clean. The beds are very comfortable. Out of every window there is a fantastic view. The continental breakfast in the morning was very good and delicious as well.
My friend and I were back packing and at the time financially strict. When we arrived it was a Catholic holiday so everything was closed, leaving the hotel restaurant the only option for dinner. Unfortunately because of our lack of funds we were unable to afford dinner. Later in the evening, with us hanging out in the lobby on our cell phones using the free WIFI, joking about the fact that all we were eating for dinner would be 6 apples and half a granola bar, the girl at the front desk asked us if we were eating. We replied laughing with a "No." She then offered to make us a sandwich, which is the most generous thing! We were given a sandwich and a hard boiled egg, and it was the best meal I had in a while. The next morning we were checking out and asked for a cab to be called. We were told the wait for be 50min. Luckily for us the hotel manager was at the front and said "50min?! I will drive you myself!" which again is the most generous thing, considering its about a 15min + drive back into the city. We offered to pay him but he refused.
I cannot say enough good things about the people working in this hotel, and just the hotel itself. If I ever end up back in Switzerland, I would definitely stay again, and i HIGHLY recommend it to anyone considering a visit to Kriens/ Lucerne area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lauren H
Reviewed May 21, 2013

First of all, this hotel has an amazing view! The best part of the hotel is sitting out on the deck staring at the scenery.

The rooms are very basic. The shower was great. Fantastic water pressure. I'm glad that I was staying in the hotel room by myself though. There is only a double bed in every room. I was staying here as part of a tour group and it was a bit awkward for others who had to share a bed.

There is free wifi in the lobby (if you can ever get it to work).

Each room has flood lights out the front of the windows that stay on until 2am lighting up the room making it like day time in there. There are shear curtains that do nothing and the shutters don't close. If you're staying here, maybe take an eye mask if you like to sleep in the dark. It is impossible to control the temperature of the room. It is either have the window open or have the window closed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Stayed in the very picturesque and well located Hotel Himmelrich in December 12. The staff was very helpful and courteous. The rooms were very nice and comfortable. Overall an great experience. the view from the Hotel is breath taking. A memorable trip.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the valley offer a good view of Luceren in the night. Rooms on the other side give a go...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I went to this hotel as part of a Contiki tour, so i was not expecting much. and i'd also heard some bad things, but it had just come under new management and had had a spruce up.

To my delight, it turned out to easily be the best hotel of the tour in my opinion.
Awesome views.
Awesome fresh home-cooked-style meals. (no-one ever went hungry)
The rooms weren't huge, but, by no means small.
The bathrooms were clean and tidy, with everything that you need
Beds were extremely clean comfy
Staff were extremely hospitable and did everything they could to make our stay perfect.

I plan on going back to Lucerne, and Himmelrich would be my hotel of choice.
The only negative i can think to note is, that if you want to go into town by taxi, it costs about 40 franks.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed here with family for 4 days in Dec 12. A beautiful hotel in even beautiful setting, overlooking Lucerene. The view from windows is awesome. Comfortable rooms with smiling staff and great place to eat and enjoy the view. Overall a Fantastic stay. Cant forget

Room Tip: Look for a room with a view
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank asheesh123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kriens
Hotel-Restaurant Sonnenberg
#31 of 66 in Lucerne
Hotel Alpha
Hotel Alpha
#34 of 66 in Lucerne

Been to Hotel Himmelrich? Share your experiences!