“Overpriced and poor service.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Zwetheul
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in De Zweth
Cuisines: European, French, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Delft
“Overpriced and poor service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

At these prices it should be perfect but unfortunately the service wasn't , which let it down as the food was very good.

Visited January 2013

Netherlands
“Good. But...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

We took the Chef's table with friends and had a 10-course tasting menu. All-in (incl. aperitifs, wine, water, teas/coffees etc.) it is set at 275,- euros which is a bit much for what it is.
The dishes are OK to very good but it did take a long time (1930-0130) for the whole performance which just felt a little too long. personally, if i went back I'd choose a la carte in the restaurant as some of the dishes were indeed very good but I'd make my own choice of wine. The wines were chosen to match the dishes but that only really worked if you took both simultaneously (some dishes were really just one mouthful).
Service was OK - a dedicated waiter assisted by kitchen staff for some courses - and you are free to talk to the staff and, of course, the chef, Mario Ridder.
I can appreciate the skill, the effort, the combinations, the choice of matching wines. And yet... It just didn't quite gel. We had a good time but it didn't feel that special. Sorry for those who disagree below that I can't share your enthusiasm but it just missed something. Locally, I prefer Mazie in The Hague (which has 4-6 course menus) and wonder whether it's the 10-course format which is just not right - another reason to return for maybe a tighter meal? I've had tasting meals in other Michelin-starred restaurants which do work so it's not the format per se.
Lastly, at least two dishes had foie gras. I eat meat and, I suppose, I could have said no foie gras in advance, but I'm a little surprised that good restaurants do still serve it. Not only unethical but more than a bit passé.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Super food and wonderful service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

This was a night to remember. It started with a nice and warm welcome.
Super teasers before and lovely food during dinner. the wine selection was aweesome, surprising but pairing perfectly with the delicious food.
The host feels perfectly what guest want and the sommelier is so passionate about wines. Perfect combination of these two to bring you a wonderful story about the food and the wines. They really guide you throught the evening.
However without the super food their story would be useless. Every dish was a little magic. Tasted so nice and looked so good.
Hope to visit this place many more times. I really enjoyed this evening!!!

• Visited October 2012
Geneva, Switzerland
“A perfect first experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

Overall was one of my best nights to remember.
The food was classic yet with touches of modern.
Flavors blends quite well and there was great amuse b. Great ideas.

The service was amazing. I guess it was hard not to be as there were barely any people the night i went but nonetheless, it was an incredible experience put forth to me by the waiters. They communicated well and the little details were not overlooked.
Had a very personalized service and was much appreciated.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Expensive but worth the money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

We had never heard of this restaurant until we happend to see it via Restaurant week as part of Rotterdam area, so we went with mixed expectations: on the one hand it has two Michelin stars, so you are right to expect a lot, on the other hand we had never heard of it and wasn't it in the middle of nowhere? As it turned out, the location is very idyllic and actually it is just outside Rotterdam. The service was friendly and engaged, they didn't just rattle of ingredients, but told us about the ingredients in the dishes and made us feel very comfortable. The food was very good and - almost surprisingly - plentiful. The dishes were a bit on the conservative side, but then again that is often to be expected of Michelin star restaurants. In between the dishes we were served a lot of amuses, which I personally always think is fun and a great way to try different taste-experiences. The only thing that I was less impressed by was the appearance of the restaurant and the staff; I found both a bit provincial and dowdy, but - to be fair - it is set it the country side, so maybe it is intentional. All in all, we had a great experience, and will definitely consider going back. If you have the money to spend, don't hesitate to go!

• Visited August 2012