“Kashiwaya Ryokan has a place in my heart.”

Shima Onsen Kashiwaya Ryokan
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Kashiwaya Ryokan had provided us with our very first experience in a traditional style ryokan in early March 2007 & those wonderful memories lingered on till 2011, Boxing Day, we've decided it was time to pay them another visit.

From Ueno station, we took the 11:44am local train for approximately 118 minutes to JR Takasaki Station, then transfer to JR Agatsuma Line for another 55 minutes to Nakanojo Station & thereafter another 30 minutes bus ride up to the mountain where Kashiwaya Ryokan sits at the entrance of Shima Onsen. Upon arrival, the bus stopped directly opposite of the Ryokan & Koyama san, one of the English speaking staff was there to greet us warmly.

Our checking in was at 3pm & as per our request, they had reserved the Ume room (Plum room) for us, when we had stayed then; except for the TV, basically nothing has changed in that spacious room with a lavatory & an open air balcony & how could we forget the calming sound of running water coming from the river that greets all its guests, sits directly opposite of Kashiwaya Ryokan. & being on the second floor we could see the river from our room & the beautiful scenery that nature has to offer.

Dinner was at 7.00pm, so that gave us ample time to explore the nearby vicinity. As we were walking up towards Shima Onsen town, we chanced upon a nice little café that served up lip smacking cheese cake & excellent cappuccino & then we realized that this café is also owned by Kashiwaya Ryokan, it’s called Kashiwaya Café; trust me you won’t regret it.

Dining in our room gave us loads of privacy with an English menu provided for, it was a feast not to forget & we were so stuffed by the time the whole kaiseiki was done. After dinner, Koyama san & his staff cleared the dinner tables & prepared our futons for the night; do not doubt the futons, it kept us warm through out the snowy winter’s night just with our yukata only.

With 2 indoor shared public baths for each gender, you might get the whole bath to yourself if you go there earlier in the morning. Not forgetting they have 3 open air private baths on a first come first served basis, do try them for yourself if you get a chance to, with nature surrounding you & seeing the sunrise or sunset, it’s a totally new & wonderful experience.

Breakfast menu didn’t change much from then, you either have the Western or the Japanese but there was a slightly difference in the premises where it was partaken, now it’s in the common dining area on the first floor instead of the individual guests’ rooms.

Check out time was at noon, if you’d enjoyed their berry wine or pear juice or other souvenirs, you can purchase them at the corner gift counter & perhaps have lunch at the Kashiwaya Café, they certainly wiped up very good meals there.

So if you’re a person who loves nature, slow pacing & serene environment, this would be an ideal place to stay. If I get a chance to visit to Tokyo again, I would love to do it all over again; Kashiwaya Ryokan has a place in my heart.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank tell_me_all_about_it

Reviewed January 31, 2012

I stayed here in late January, 2012. Kashiwaya is a very traditional inn in a quiet, historic area. The locally grown food, private baths (I managed to try all 3 during my stay) and modern but traditional guest rooms make this a really wonderful place to stay. Before we even checked out, my girlfriend already wanted to come back. I highly recommend Kashiwaya Ryokan who wants an authentic, historic Ryokan experience.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OnsenLover
Reviewed January 29, 2012

I went there with my girlfriend in the end of the January and it was the best onsen and ryokan experience I've ever had.

To start with it's easy accessible from Tokyo, just a 3 hours bus ride that almost stops outside Kashiwaya Ryokan. When arriving you will be greeted by incredibly friendly staff helping you with luggage and introducing the life at the ryokan.
Then its just to jump into one of three private open air baths, while we're soaking the bath we had the great pleasure of seeing a group of monkeys in the forest just next to the bath. This in combination of the snowy weather made it a perfect start of the day. The bath are open until 01:00 in the night so it's perfect for a late night bath under the clear sky. And there's also a bigger inside bath that was great but the open air baths was my favorites!

The room was clean and fresh in classic ryokan style and have everything you want. We also had a nice view from the balcony overlooking the river and mountains in front of the ryokan. Just outside the room we had a vending machine so you can get drinks anytime on the day and just a bit further down the hall we had the private open air baths, so convenient!

The food was one of the things I was most looking forward to and I can say it was no disappointment. The included dinner, served in your room, was not only super tasty but also beautifully arranged and plenty of food for a full grown man. I also tried out the local beer they offered which was a great compliment to the amazing food. We also went with the japanese breakfast, with a great variation with everything from fish, rice, soup to vegetables and fruit this was also superb.

The staff was always helpful and friendly and to top it all, when going back with the bus, passing the ryokan the staff was standing outside waving goodbye to us. I couldn't be more satisfied with our trip to Kashiwaya Ryokan. There is also a small town in walking distance from the ryokan if you have some time for exploration between checking out and going back with the bus.

In other words, this is a place you dont' wanna miss out on!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Henrik F
Reviewed January 12, 2012

My sister and I stayed there one night in January and the experience was phenomenal. I wished I had stayed longer as the staff were friendly and helpful and the ambience was cozy and very Japanese style.

From the start we were told to where Yukata's and they provided us with the whole ensemble. They also provided a tea set in our rooms so we could help ourselves and the heat was entirely controlled by us via a remote control. We ordered an extra dish for our dinner and headed out to try out the private onsen.

It was my first time so I was a bit shy to try out a public one. we chose a round wooden outdoor bath and after our long shower/scrub down, it felt so nice to go inside the steaming hot bath. The smoky air that blew away from my body as I entered the bath felt like I was being spiritually cleansed somehow. The snow flakes that dissolved on my face, the dark sky and the icy cold air made this first experience the highlight of my trip to Japan.

Once we got back to our rooms we were served our dinner. We were pleasantly surprised that there were so many little dishes to try that felt never ending. We ended up being extremely full.

The next morning my sister and I woke up at 5am to have another dip  in a hot bath. We opted for the Japanese breakfast and again delighted with the variety of great tasting food. Overall we had an amazing time and would definitely recommend it for those looking for a relaxing Japanese style time.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Malena_Andrade
Reviewed January 6, 2012

This is my second time to stay here. Absolutely wonderful. Friendly staff, clean, comfortable rooms, very Japanese, a feast for dinner (more than we could finish), and the three outdoor hot spring are cozy. If you can afford it, they have two rooms with a hot spring tub right in the room that overlooks the river. I have been to dozens of ryokan and this is one of the best and an easy trip from Tokyo.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Freedomtrail
Reviewed December 28, 2011

This was my first visit to a ryokan and onsen. It was a great experience. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. There were also English-speaking staff available to assist anyone who has little to no Japanese skills.

The trip took about 3 hours by bus from Tokyo and it gave us a good opportunity to see some of the countryside around Japan.

The room was clean and looked nice. There was also a small terrace from which you could see the small river near the ryokan. The night that we stayed there was snow which made the scenery even more beautiful.

There are 3 outdoor private onsens that are available to be used. They are first-come, first-serve. But, the ryokan asks people to only stay around 30 minutes so it will be available for others to use. We didn't have any problem using the private onsens while we were there. And while we were in the onsen it began snowing, which made it even better. :)

We also had dinner and breakfast as part of our booking. The food was delicious and was more than enough for my wife and I. Breakfast was good, as well. We decided to choose the western-syle breakfast since we had the Japanese set meal the night before. As we ate breakfast, I noticed out the window that there were monkeys alongside the bank of the river. It definitely gave off a nice impression of being far from the big city of Tokyo.

All in all, it was a great experience and we will be going back sometime in future hopefully!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kstory83
Reviewed December 12, 2011

Location - beautiful spot next to river facing very pretty mountains. Nearby village very quaint. Peaceful, quiet spot. Should be some very nice hikes although we only stayed one night.

Staff - English speaking, heart warmingly friendly, fun and welcoming . Made us feel very at home. Provided helpful information about the local area. Very attentive to your needs.

Food - exquisitely presented in endless minature dishes our dinner was a feast. Japanese breakfast also generous and very healthy. Dinner is served in many courses in the privacy of your own room - you are waited on like a king!

Facilities - for all those coffee addicts, they have a great Italian coffee machine.

• Stayed: November 2011