“A nice oasis in the vineyards”
Review of The Louise

The Louise
Ranked #1 of 2 Marananga B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 23, 2012

When we drove up to The Louise I thought, "oh oh, I've made a mistake." The low profile buildings look -- well -- uninviting. At bit like a school or worse.

But inside the rooms are a delightful surprise. There were four of us -- with two adjacent rooms -- so the gate separating the two private front gardens had been opened.

The rooms were comfortable and well-appointed, and we all spent an enjoyable hour or so watching the afternoon sun move across the vineyards right outside our back porch.

In the morning I had a shower in the private, outside shower (reminded me of the hunting lodge we'd visited in the Kruger in South Africa). The four of us then shared our room service continental breakfast in our own garden.

Other reviewers said that they found The Louise somewhat cold and lacking in character, and I can certainly see what they mean. But we found it a clean and bright oasis for our one night stay in the Barossa Valley.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 23, 2012

The accommodation is very well laid out. There are two areas, front and back where you can eat and drink outside. The bathroom had an inside shower and spa bath, there is also an outdoor shower area. The breakfasts are delicious, try the little pies - a great favourite with our group. The Louise is expensive and is probably best saved for a special occasion. The only criticism we had was that it lacks atmosphere both in and around the hotel, but especially in the restaurant.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The Louise sits in one of the most scenic locations in a very scenic area. My partner and I spent a lot of time in the Barossa when we were living in Adelaide several years ago, however we had never really visited this corner. Our recent visit, shared with friends, had us staying at the Louise for two nights. It is hard to describe what to expect but the words “quiet” and “quality” are certainly in the top 5. On meeting the owner, I came to understand that this venue was a bespoke creation modeled on the collected experiences of the best features in accommodation from around the world. Featuring beautiful bathrooms, tasteful furnishing and stunning views from each room, this is the perfect location to just relax. The staff are fantastic, especially Karen, the director of guest services, who really made our stay special. While staying, visit a few wineries (there are at least two in walking distance), but really, just absorb the vibes, have a glass of wine and enjoy the views. Oh, and do not miss the restaurant, Appellation – it is excellent.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I agree with a previous poster that rooms 24-28 offer the best morning views, but the Spetlesfield Suites 30 and up do offer a great sunset view and have more space. In the grand scheme of things though I'm sure that there isn't a "bad" room on this property. This was our second stay and The Louise has to be in my view one of the most relaxing places on the planet...with the added bonus of a great restaurant on site. Great breakfasts delivered on time each day, bikes available for you to cycle to the cellar doors and work off a small portion of it. Dinner at the Louise is excellent with no pressure in the land of "no worries"and an excellent wine list. The best part for me though is how low key this place is...worth the long trip just to be able to switch off.

2  Thank NewYorkPauly
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Just spent two nights at The Louise, for a special anniversary. What a delight! We received an upgrade to Suite 29, close to the restaurant and sharing only one common wall - not that a single sound penetrates the solid stone walls of the suites. Entry is through a locked gate, via a small courtyard garden, then into the suite itself. There's a spacious room with wardrobes and plenty of room for luggage (luxury!), a palatial very resort-style bathroom with twin basins, a spa bath, a TV, and a capacious shower, as well as an outdoor rain shower in a stone courtyard, open to the sky but at the same time totally private. I showered outdoors on the second morning - faintly chilly but a wonderful sensation all the same.

The bed is huge, looking over a small sitting room affair, with a kitchen to the side. The kitchen has everything - Nespresso machine, good-sized fridge, plus all the bits and bobs you'd expect - corkscrew, napkins, excellent grog in the fridge (at a price of course), lovely fresh full cream milk ... etc.

But these are all things you would expect at the price - and The Louise is expensive, no doubt about it. However, what price total privacy and the feeling which I'm sure movie stars get when they want to be away from the public and enjoy life as a normal human being? This is what you're paying for at The Louise, as well as the luxurious appointments, the view and the proximity to all the attractions of the Barossa Valley. Total privacy - but anything you might want as well, as well as friendly helpful staff who are discreetly invisible until you walk into reception and someone pops out immediately - CCTV I think. We had brought a special bottle of wine for dinner the second night (just snacking on cheese and gourmet delights in our room, in the supplied dressing gowns, watching Westerns on TV), and the cork of the Grange disintegrated completely. The lovely woman at the bar - Cassidy, I think - rescued the wine for me, pushing the remainder of the cork in, and straining and decanting my wine for me. Very much appreciated:)

Breakfast is included, and I note that some reviewers have commented unfavourably about the breakfast - can't think why. It is a variation on the continental breakfast, cereal, muesli, yoghurt, toast, croissant, pastries, and a delicious little egg and ham pie (a complete winner!). The only downside is that the coffee and water pots all drip all over the place - can't understand why they haven't replaced them!

The bed was so comfortable, the linen crisp and the quilts just right - but I must criticise the pillows! All quite hard and un-luxurious. I always travel with my own pillow (I know, it's an obsession!!) and I'm very glad I did this time. My partner found the pillows rather uncomfortable.

But these are insignificant quibbles when rating the experience of The Louise. The place deserves its luxury resort rating, its membership of the various exclusive small hotel/lodge collections. It is an outstanding package: the setting, overlooking a Peter Lehmann vineyard; the stone colonnade between the suites, with a faintly Alhambra feeling about it (there is a runnel of moving water along one side - delicious); the luxurious appointments of the suites; the staff; and the restaurant, of course (I've reviewed Appellation separately).

Put The Louise on your bucket list!

Room Tip: The Stonewell suites are excellent - at the end of the blocks, slightly larger, a real feeling of is...
4  Thank balhannah

We recently spent 4 nights at The Louise
Our room had an easterly aspect and included an outdoor shower
The easterly aspect provided morning sun streaming in to the apartment as we savored the gourmet breakfast delivered to our room
So make sure you ask for rooms 29 to 24, they just walk over all other rooms as to location and aspect
In the afternoon we avoided the hot searing sun that no doubt burnt into the other west facing units. Yes they could enjoy a direct view of the sunset, however we preferred to sit on the terrace and enjoy a cold beverage and the sunset before dining in Appellation or one of the many excellent restaurants in the area
The concierge at t The Louise recommended and booked 3 different restaurants of us being FermentAsian, Bar 1918 and Vintners and all were outstanding
They also provide us wit bikes for the day and the ride to Angeston and return is about 30km return and very easy and a an absolute must do adventure with countless wineries and coffee shops to visit along the way

Room Tip: So make sure you ask for rooms 29 to 24
1  Thank Charsal_56
Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

You pay for it but The Louise is outstanding. Great location on Peter Lehman Stonewell Vineyard, with beautiful room and in particular stunning bathroom. The 10 step walk to Appellation a pleasure. The restaurant is excellent - it doesn't try too hard and the food was of the highest quality.

• Stayed: November 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marananga
Novotel Barossa Valley Resort
#9 of 14 in Tanunda
Lanzerac Country Estate
Lanzerac Country Estate
#1 of 14 in Tanunda

Been to The Louise? Share your experiences!