Hotel Luisiana
Holiday Inn Express San Jose Forum(Santa Ana)(Great Value!)
$78
Hotels.com
Studio Hotel(Santa Ana)
$76
Agoda.com
$87
$74
Priceline
Hotel Villa Los Candiles(Santa Ana)(Great Value!)
$89
Hotel Casa Alegre / Posada Nena(Santa Ana)(Great Value!)
$66
Hotel Posada Canal Grande(Santa Ana)(Great Value!)
$37
Hotwire.com
TripAdvisor
Vista Canyon Inn(Santa Ana)
1,056 results
All reviewssan josecosta ricahotel louisianasecure parkingclose to the airportlow pricenice poolthird floorresidential areagrocery storerental carrooms are spacioushidden gemlast nightpura vidarebeccainternet
Reviewed August 9, 2010

This hotel is located just outside San Jose with a view of the city. It is close to the airport and main highways. Also, it has amenities (i.e., shops, stores, food, shopping) close by. But, it is the service and value for your money that will keep you coming back. The hotel staff are knowledgeable and professional and can arrange anything you want. Add to this a wonderful breakfast and secure parking, this hotel is hard to beat. Free internet and international calls make this ideal for business travelers as well. Finally, there is always a person on duty to help. This is wonderful for international travelers.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I came for one night but then liked it so much I wanted to stay! The staff were super friendly and helpful. They assisted in planning all my travel in Costa Rica. The rooms are spacious and well equipped with very comfortable beds and a powerful shower. The on-site parking is secure and if you don't have a car then the bus is walking distance away and taxis are easily ordered. The restaurant serves great pasta (that's all I had so I can't speak for the rest) and the wine list is descent. Some of the added perks are 24 internet access, in room if you have a computer or on one of the computers in reception available to guests. They serve free coffee in the mornings to get your day going! When I'm back in Costa Rica I'll definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 5, 2010

We decided to stay at Hotel Luisiana in Santa Ana, Costa Rica because it had received excellent reviews on this website and it was in the perfect location for us, 15 minutes from the San Jose International Airport and 15 minutes from downtown San Jose. While we can understand how the hotel did receive positive reviews in the past (the rooms are large with nice amenities and the price can't be beat), the experience we had during our two nights there forced me to rate our stay as "TERRIBLE". Let me explain why, under the headings The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. I'll start with The Ugly...

The Ugly: When we first walked into our room, we were happy to see it was very modern-looking, with a king sized bed, a sort of "chaise lounge" style twin bed, a flat screen TV, and a huge tiled bathroom with two sinks, a soaking tub, and a separate shower. All was good until I inspected the bed a little further. The bed had high-quality white linens and a pillow top mattress, but the problem was that the sheets were really dirty. The pillow cases still had drool and makeup stains and the sheets were soiled also. We had checked in a bit early and they rushed to get the room ready, but we didn't want them to rush on changing the linens from the last guests! I promptly informed the management (at around 2:00pm) and they promised to have the sheets changed. We then left for the evening and returned at around 11:00pm. The first thing I looked at was the bed...The sheets had not been touched. Because it was so late and we had booked a tour for 6:45am the next morning, we decided to suck it up for the night. I turned the pillowcases inside out and we slept on top of the covers. The next morning when we left for the day, I informed the management AGAIN that we had asked for the sheets to be changed and they hadn't been. He apologized and promised they would be changed that day while the room was being cleaned. Unfortunately, when we returned that evening from our tour the sheets still hadn't been changed. We would have asked the management again to fix this problem, but then the power outage occurred and took priority. See "The Bad" below for explanation of this...All in all, throughout our two night stay, we had to sleep on sheets that had not been changed from the previous guests. DISGUSTING!!!

The Bad: As I mentioned earlier, when we returned from our tour after our first night staying at this hotel, the sheets had not been changed. I planned on taking a shower (we were very dirty from the tour) and then going down to speak with the management. However, while I was in the middle of my shower, the power to the entire hotel went out. I continued my dark shower, but then the water stopped working as well. With shampoo still in my hair and soap all over my body, I walked to both sinks and tried to drain the last bit of water out to get out the suds. Then I went to the bathtub and did the same thing. I was never able to get the soap out. A few minutes later, I heard someone outside our room, so I went out wrapped in my towel and a hotel representative was lighting candles on the balcony. I asked him what happened and he explained that there were often power outages, which also caused the water pump to stop working...We should wait about 30 minutes before the power would come back on. We waited an hour, and it was still off. Finally, we decided to go to the front desk to see if we could get a taxi. They told us that there were no street lights in the whole neighborhood, so walking to hail a taxi would not be safe. Also, the phones were out, so we couldn't call for one. Wet, soapy, and starving, we didn't know what we were going to do. The manager offered to make the guests pasta and to drink the bottle of wine that was in our room. We accepted the offer, but the portion of the pasta was like for a little child and we are not big wine drinkers. We ended up staying in the whole night, trying to fall asleep at 8:00 since there was nothing to do in the pitch black. The next morning, the power was back on. I called down to the front desk for towels, and when the cleaning lady brought them, she warned us that the power and water would only be on for another 15 minutes before it shut off again. We showered as quickly as possible and packed our stuff to get the hell out of that place. I tried to blow dry my hair with the hotel's hair dryer, but it only blew out cold air. I then plugged my own dryer in (which I had used throughout our entire trip in Mexico, Nicaragua, and Costa Rica), and the dryer exploded in smoky fury in my hand. I threw the $100 blow dryer in the garbage. As we left, we asked if the manager could at least let us use the hotel's taxi to take us for free to the airport for all of the problems we had had. She said there was nothing they could do and that she wouldn't be taking money out of her own pocket to pay for our taxi. I then asked for a refund for that night, and she said that when we accepted the pasta, we were accepting the only compensation they were willing to give for the inconveniences we experienced. I asked her why they didn't have a generator or a back-up power system and she said they had plans to install one in the future. Who knows when??? I reminded her about the dirty sheets and how we had asked twice and they weren't changed, and she said we probably made the sheets dirty ourselves!!! Finally, we left in frustration and I have been dealing with Hotels.com to try and get my refund. When Hotels.com called the hotel, they spoke with the same lady (Karina) and she again refused to issue the refund. Now I will be making a dispute with my credit card company, because that place doesn't deserve any of my money.

The Good: Now I don't like to completely trash talk hotels, so I will give a couple points about the amenities we enjoyed. The hotel had modern furnishings and a nice flat-screen TV. We just didn't get to watch it because of the power. Also, the tiny little pasta portion we received was tasty, but it was too small and DEFINITELY not fair compensation for all the problems.

OVERALL: You can risk staying at this hotel if you choose, but I don't think its worth it for the possibility of what we experienced. The bigger hotels in San Jose and Santa Ana will definitely be prepared for the frequent outages that occur in this area.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank emilyirene123
hotelluisiana, Owner at Hotel Luisiana, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2010

hi Emily
I’m so sorry for your bad stay in my hotel , i appreciate your bad feedback
I try to explain the rare problem.
when you crash with your rented car the front hotel lamp post , we was in trouble because the lamp post crash in the top of our electric generator plant ; and our generator ( 70kw very bigger ) was unable to works , because was very dangerous with the electrical cable on it.
we offer to you and to all the client of those night, complete refund and we don't charge to you anything about the damage, but you refused.
the hotel was full this night 15 room , and anybody decide to use the refund policy.
all the client decide to use the free dinner and free drink for the problem.
many people was in terrace and drink a lot of wine for free.
At your room , the number 6 ,was served free dinner , 2 dishes of carbonara pasta ( 130 grams , 4 coke , 4 beer , 2 bottle of wine and dessert flan de coco .
I was thinking about a good feeling from all the client and from the hotel and you .
I didn't like when you screamed to my receptionist when you was in the balcony , because all was generated from you.
I don't know anything around the dirty sheet , is very rare in our hotel . but I apology about the inconvenient.
It’s my pleasure to offer you a free night with a free dinner for apology me and my hotel

Reviewed August 5, 2010

This is a really nice option for your first or last night in Costa Rica if you fly in and out of San Jose. It's an excellent value and the service is outstanding. They've tried to make a unique hotel with a personality instead of staying at a chain hotel elsewhere in San Jose. The hotel is located in a residential zone within walking distance to the supermarket, restaurants, etc. and should give you a chance to see everyday life in San Jose. The airport is about 20 minutes away and a $20 taxi ride. I recommend using the hotel's private taxi service because even regular official taxis in San Jose and actually all around Costa Rica are surprisingly expensive.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2010

My husband and I were looking for a hotel not far from San Jose International Airport. We decided to stay at Hotel Luisiana because of the price and the short distance from the airport. Hotel Luisiana offered more than what we expected. Not only was the room rate affordable but the service was exceptional. The hotel attendant (Auturo) took our luggage up to our rooms and made sure we were comfortably accomodated. He even turned the TV on for us. The only time I can remember my luggage been taken up to my room was when I stayed at the Ritz Carltun. The room size are grand, not like the regular standard hotel size room and for cleansiness on a scale of 1-5, with 5 being excellent/highest , I'll give them a 5. This hotel even offers free long distance telephone calls, including calls to the US. We had the breakfast plan and the food was great. It's a very nice place to stay and if we're visiting CR again, Hotel Luisiana is where we're staying.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
hotelluisiana, Propietario at Hotel Luisiana, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2010

hi Andrea , thanks you for your words.
we try to enjoy our client 24 h, and Arturo is a perfect receptionist , for give you the attention that you need. i hope we see soon in your next trip in Costa Rica.