“Beautiful scenery and a rich cultural background”

Wutai Shan (Five Terrace Mountain)
More attraction details
Owner description: Consisting of five high plateaus, this area is one of China's four sacred Buddhist Mountains.
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Wutaishan (五台山) or Five Terrace Mountain is regarded as one of four sacred mountains of Buddhism in China with over 40 holy temples. It is known as the home of the bodhisattva of wisdom, Manjusri (wen2shu1-文殊), whose Sanskrit name means “He Who is Noble and Gentle.” Manjusri is often depicted with a sometimes flaming sword in his right hand—Vajra Sword of Discriminating Insight cuts through ignorance and entanglements of conceptual views, also cuts away ego and self-created obstacles. The prajna paramita sutra, perfection of wisdom, is often depicted in or near his left hand.

4  Thank Sonia M
There are newer reviews for Wutai Shan (Five Terrace Mountain)

Reviewed May 3, 2014

Its my Good luck that my friend invited me to joined them for hsi trip and I must say I really enjoyed it
Fresh air and great scenic beauty , On of the most holy places in Chinese Buddhism . Wu means five, it has five flat peak of mountain and has 150 temples. Ming Dynasty Shuxiang Temple is impressive . one can visit who is interested in Buddhism, or architecture or just to enjoy the nature

3  Thank mariasaffi
Reviewed October 26, 2013

On our visit we visited 6 temples here and there are loads more to see. Some are picturesque and others just plain and historic.
I thought that we could have seen them in less details, but our guide was very enthusiastic. Unless you are on a religious pilgrimage, I think you would want to visit the ones with photo opportunities and skim over the ones that are of historic significance.
We had a vegetarian meal in one of the restaurants and I was impressed with the look and taste of the sweet and sour pork, the sausage and even the fish, all made from tofu and vegetarian ingredients. I am still puzzled as to why vegetarians with an objection to eating meat, still need to eat food that looks and taste like meat!

3  Thank mikelima
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Wutaishan is a holly mountain with 48 lively buddhist temples spread in the mountain. The slopes are quite hard to climb (2 to 300 stair steps ! or better some chairlifts). A regular bus service brings you towards the temples but except for those located in the main center of the village, you will have to do some effort to reach most of them. DO IT it is a real MUST ! Why ? because there is a real chinese life and peacefull religious real practice inside the temples whith many pilgrims and monks and it is a unique place like that in China to our experience. Each temple has its own decoration all different and you will have to make a choice but all are interestings. Don't miss the Nanshan Si. If you are tired rent a taxi (some are waiting close to the bus stop after the bridge on the river) it will bring you up the ill and you will discover one of the nicest collection of chinese sculptures from the 13 to the 19 century. Some are in monks room at the first floor of the building with a white dagoda in the yard. Ask the monks they are very kind and open to visitors. Wutaishan is one of the best souvenir of our 26 days tour in China last may. We wish you to enjoy it as we did but please TAKE YOUR TIME : sit in each temple and relax. We are 67 not real sport addicted persons but we miss the 40 temples that we could not visit (we visited "only" eight of them in 2 full days).

4  Thank anneetmichel
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I went to Wutaishan from Beijing by train. It is about 6 hours’ train ride to Wutaishan station in a place called Shahe. Wutaishan peaks with its base as Taihuai town is actually another hour’s bus ride from there. I took the night train from Beijing and arrived at dawn, and there were several red buses waiting to take us. Just before getting into Taihuai town, there is a checkpost where visitors are required to buy passage to the heritage site of Wutaishan (I think it was Y 130) and a Y 50 public transport pass. With this you can ride the local buses without having to buy tickets.
Mount Wutai is a World heritage site well known for both its geological and scenic natural landscapes, and cultural heritage. It boasts of over 68 different styles of temples built over 7 dynasties housing numerous Buddhist relics, and is described as “the epitome of Chinese Buddhism”. It is associated with the Boddhisattva of Wisdom, Manjushri (‘Jam dPal bYang). ‘Wu Tai’ literally means five peaks/ terraces, viz. the East, West, Central, North, and South Peaks each representing a manifestation of Manjushri. The town of Taihuai serves as the hub to travel to these peaks, and is home to numerous religious sites of great significance. One could easily spend several days visiting the numerous temples. I spent about a week and still could not visit them all as I chose to do it at a relaxed pace.
For pilgrims, it is a good idea to book the government run taxi/ vans that do a day-long trip that takes you to the five peaks. The cost of the ticket is Y360 per person. They were sold out for the first three days we were there, even though I saw somewhere to the tune of 500 vans parked at the station. Beware of other vehicles offering to take you, usually at much higher rates. They may not have the permit to enter all the peaks even though they seem to be quite safe. You could do well to negotiate the cost in advance if they cannot take you to all the five peaks. Roads are mostly narrow and unpaved to the peaks, and so smaller vehicles and buses do not ply on these.
For those who love trekking, this is beautiful country and the weather in July end was just perfect. On weekends the mountains are strewn with trekkers. Half the train from Beijing when I went was filled with trekkers who got off at Wutaishan station. Be wary of buying stuff including food if you cannot speak mandarin or if they know you’re not Chinese. The cost goes up manifolds, but bargaining seems to be the way to go.
I returned to Beijing by bus, and it was most comfortable journey ever. The road was excellent, the bus seat comfortable, and the views great. I would recommend taking a bus not only because it goes straight to Taihuai and takes only five hours. The buses operate from Liuliuqiao station in Beijing twice a day I think.
It is a gem of a place to visit.

14  Thank sjamtsho