“Wonderful time with wonderful people...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Sun Flower

Hotel Sun Flower
Guidel-Plage, France
“Wonderful time with wonderful people...”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Despite the hurricane, I had a wonderful time with Shiro and all the family. Being the sole customer (as I was out of season) give me probably some sort of special treat! The food was absolutely magic.

The place is not a five star, but it is clean and nice. It is right to the beach very well situated.

But surely the best of the best was the diving. I had the most incredible dive! Please check out my film http://youtu.be/W8-ZKkvH9-M (Okinawa Tokashiki-Son diving). Thank you so much Shiro!

I don’t know if live will allow me to go back one day to Tokashiki, but no doubt I would go back to the Sun flower Hotel…

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank RonanBzH

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Okinawa, Japan
Reviewed July 6, 2012

The rooms are old and the restrooms smell of urine. I would not stay here again. I saw some newer hotels nearby and should have just stayed in one of them.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TakinItEasyMan
Okinawa, Japan
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I suppose the people are friendly, but they will pretty much trick you into thinking the room cost is lower than what they will charge you in the end. I called them over the phone numerous times to double check that I knew the cost of the room, but they tell you only the per-person price. They speak English, but they pretend not to know what you are talking about when you go to check out and you realize that the bill is double, triple or quadruple (in my case) the amount that they told you! The rooms are pretty old and run down. I would stay somewhere else if I go back.

Room Tip: In a Japanese style room you will only have a tatami floor and some quilts to sleep on. An American...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank HungryCaterpillar12
Gwangju, South Korea
Reviewed August 10, 2011

My husband and I stayed here one night in early August 2011. The beach is amazing and the people are genuinely concerned that you're having an excellent stay. We had to leave the island early because a typhoon was coming. Shiro (the owner) made sure we had all the latest information and then decided when we needed to get off the island for us. That ended up being late one afternoon, but he let us shower and use the room until it was time to leave for the ferry instead of kicking us out of the room at check-out time. That was so appreciated and really impressed us!

As for the rooms, ours was two twins with bath and air conditioner. There weren't 5star western quality, but they were comfortable and more than standard for this tiny beach town. Most of the other accommodations on the island are Japanese style (mats on the floor), so we were happy to have the beds for our vacation.

But now to the reason people come out to this island in the first place: the beach was perfect. The snorkeling on the island is amazing! I've been to Hawaii, but not any other Asian scuba spots (yet!), but this was unlike anything I've ever seen. Absolutely stunning.

You can rent a seakayak from a shop right by the beach and kayak out to a small island (takes about 15 minutes) were the snorkeling is even better than the beach. The coral reefs here are beautiful and the fish that live in an around are diverse and enchanting. We were only on the island one night, so didn't get to do a scuba dive, but I bet it would be amazing.

There is a aging toy poodle on property who loves attention and is greeted happily by all the guests. He was a ham.

The food was delicious. A homemade dinner was included as was a Japanese style breakfast. Don't worry yourself one minute that you'll go hungry. The staff was very accommodating here, even giving us forks the first evening before they realized we could use chopsticks.

As for the rest of the town, and the island, there is simply not much to do other than beach activities. Without a car to explore the rest of the island we would have probably got sunburned and bored after a couple days.

Overall, it was an amazing trip. I wish we could have stayed an extra day or two.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank andreagalvez
Wentzville, Missouri
Reviewed August 7, 2010

What a fantastic experience! Great price and wonderful people. This is not a fancy resort type place, but it has it all where it counts with my family. Warm family atmosphere where you feel totaly welcome! My 4-yr old daughter absolutely loved her new friend Maiko...what a sweetheart! We enjoyed the beach which was right out the back door and were appreciative for the transportation they provided when we wanted to see other parts of the island (but, since we don't like to impose, we are bringing our car over on the ferry next time). This is a place where you can enjoy the warm crystal clear waters and local flavor with a "nama" (fresh or draft) beer off the tap with a warm smile and great service at any time of the day...we are going back to Tokashiki Island next month...will definitely only stay there!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Jwalabe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tokashiki-son
Tokashiku Marine Villege
#2 of 16 in Tokashiki-son
Joyful Chingushi
Joyful Chingushi
#5 of 16 in Tokashiki-son

Been to Hotel Sun Flower? Share your experiences!