“Perfection!”

Shikinoyado Onoaida
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This was a highlight of our trip. Kentaro and his gorgeous family showed us excellent hospitality, starting off with a surprise meet-up at the bus stop when we arrived later than expected. We were warmly welcomed with a fantastic meal, the food was excellent, and catered towards our dietary requests. After dinner we were treated to some magic tricks and playing time with the kids, brought on by our small souvenir gift to them from Hiroshima :) They're now friends for life! (The kids are so sweet and well behaved and did not 'intrude' unless the guests requested it like we did). Kentaro loaned us a guide book and printed out some maps and bus timetables for our hike the following day. Every meal was top quality with fresh local produce. The accommodations were spacious, comfortable and clean (we were upgraded for free due to a vacancy on the nights we stayed). No request that we had was any trouble and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. I want to move in! We will definitely be back and I cannot recommend staying here highly enough. To top it all off, we had the stunning mountain views out of the front door, and the ocean out our bedroom window. The scenery is perfect. Thank you Kentaro and your beautiful family for such a great visit to Yakushima.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed at Shikinoyado for 3 nights in May 2013. Since we didn't rent a car, it was little bit hard for us to get there (by public bus takes about 50 mins) after landing Yakushima by ferry. But as soon as we got there, we knew that it's all worth it.
Not only the owner and his wife were super nice, their two kids were so adorable.
The view from the room was just stunning. They prepared Breakfast and Dinner using a lot of local products and they were so delicious!
We enjoyed every seconds during the stay in Shikinoyado.
If we have chance to go back to Yakushima in the future, I will definitely stay at Shikinoyado again!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed at Shikinoyado for three nights last month. It was more like a private home rather than a hotel. Kentaro-san and okusan were very welcoming and helpful. They prepared really nice meals for my vegetarian husband (without any meat or fish) and me (with meat and fish), using lots of fresh local vegetables and tasty seafood and meat. We both enjoyed the meals a lot! It is quite something because sometimes you have difficulty trying to find places which can offer nice meals for vegetarians. Also, you can sit in the semi-outside bath attached to the room and look up the mountain. After a day's hiking, it was so relaxing and refreshing.
It was our first visit to Yakushima. Thanks to Shikinoyado, we would definitely like to go back there again!
屋久島は初めてでしたが、四季の宿のおかげで、ぜひまた必ず行きたいところとなりました。
山歩きのあとの、半露天風呂での入浴は、とても気持ちよかったです。また、ベジタリアンの夫にも、肉、魚大好きな私にも、工夫を凝らしたおいしいお食事を用意していただけて、とてもうれしく、ゆっくりと楽しませていただきました。

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Kentaro is a wonderful, helpful and humorous host. It was really great that we were able to e-mail each other beforehand and he helped us immensely by getting our rental car and jetfoil ferry reservations.
The location is beautiful with the mountains looming in the background and as mentioned by all, the food was fabulous. On the day we opted not to eat dinner, Kentaro suggested a restaurant just across the road from his place that was also terrific. It was called Hara's and they had really reasonable and delicious set meals in a relatively new building that played jazz music at dinnertime.

He loaned us the Yakumonkey guide, a tour book of the island, which was invaluable and gave us his own suggestions of places to visit. We were really glad to have a rental car since we stayed there for 4 nights and 3 days. We read that the local bus only runs about every hour or so.

I had a special last night with the Kentaro, Satoko, Ai & Daichi, offering to dance a hula about some beautiful mountains and in turn was treated to a surprise hula by their daughter Ai, who had been taking lessons for 2 years. I even got to see a magic trick from Daichi. Being with them felt like being with family!

Room Tip: The Japanese new room was very private, but you had to walk down to the main house for a bath. The b...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2013

What a wonderful, perfect place to stay on Yakushima. It was my second time on the island, (last time I camped) and the upgrade to this Minshuku was 150% worth it. It`s the most unique place I have ever stayed in Japan- from the breathtaking views rights as you walk out your door to the amazing food prepared by owners who take kindness to another level.

All the reviews here sum it up perfectly. I was in a western room which was lovely and had a balcony opening out onto beautiful views and the sound of a waterfall. I also got a glimpse of the Japanese rooms, which had amazing half outdoor baths-well worth the little bit more if you can book them.

Kentaro, his wife and children were a lovely, friendly, welcoming family. Kentaro helped us in so many ways- we were provided with "yaku monkey" a great English guidebook, maps and many recommendations including for a great bento shop on the way to the hikes (opposite Mosburger about 15 mins by car, little shop with the red awning). The food prepared by the family for dinner and breakfast was delicious. Oh - and try the home brewed liquors!

No problem was too small - a special thanks to Kentaro for his help with our rent a car. Having helped us book it, he even helped us negotiate the price we had to pay having accidentally backed the car into a low lying wall. That could easily have ruined a part of our holiday (the dread in my stomach as I heard the crunch!) but Kentaro told us not to worry, relax, he will deal with it, and we got a good price with his help.

Thank you and see you in England!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 22, 2012

If I return to Yakushima, I'll certainly stay here again.

Kentaro is very friendly and eagerly helpful, ready with maps and bus schedules and guidebooks and pamphlets to plan the next day's itinerary. He offers lifts to local onsen and coin laundry facilities.

Do have dinner and breakfasts here! There's a nearby convenience store, but you would be missing out on excellent meals featuring local produce if you opted for that instead. I was particularly impressed on the third night of my stay when we enjoyed a barbecue.

I stayed in one of the "western style" rooms and found it quiet and very clean.

Oh and his daughter taught me how to fold origami shuriken. Greatly appreciated. :)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Firstly I should say that I've been meaning to write this review for months now. We stayed at Shikinoyado Onoaida in May 2012, its now Dec. I've never written a Trip Advisor review before but this place really has a place in our heart now.

We stayed for 3 nights during a month vacation to Japan, and the time we spent on Yakushima was the highlight of the whole trip.
Shikinoyado Onoaida is tucked away up a tiny road and it took us a couple of drives past to find it the first time.
The accommodation is simple, extremely clean and very charming with breathtaking views of the mountain. However what makes this place even more special is the people who run it.
Kentaro-san and his family are the most wonderful hosts you could ever wish for. Friendly, knowledgable, funny and welcoming. I wish there was an extra 6th star rating I could give on trip advisor.
The food was also outstanding. We enjoyed a fabulous vegetarian feast under the stars after an epic day of hiking. The freshly prepared breakfast was also outstanding. Certainly the best food of our trip.
Booking is done by email rather than through any of the big websites. This is great as well because you have an instant contact with the hotel and Kentaro is extremely helpful.
I'm sure Ive missed some stuff out, but I really cant recommend Shikinoyado Onoaida enough. Brilliant and magical place that makes a stay on Yakushima all the more wonderful. Thank you!!
Mike and Katie, UK