See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Dinner is very impressive with full course of salad, appetizer, 2 main courses and dessert. i can hardly finished all!! Breakfast too has very filling main and bread assortment which the lady owner kindly asked us to take away plus fruits. You could skip lunch after this!! The family onsen is also great for 2 person. The room is clean and small. The mattress is truly hard as reviewed before. I did a slow run around the surrounding and the air is very fresh!!

Date of stay: June 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank marcnggc
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

This is one of the best lodging we have stayed in all our visits to Japan.

The place is homely and the food is superb! Breakfast comprises bread basket, unlimited coffee/tea/juice/milk, ultra fresh salad....and Dinner is even more impressive! You can double main courses of fish and beef in addition to soup, salad and a dessert platter!

We enjoyed our stay thoroughly! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

Date of stay: December 2013
1  Thank MrGoh
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This small family-run pension has been my wife's and my 'go to' spot ever since we got married, and we must have returned there over a dozen times. We've taken friends, family, even students, and they've all been blown away by it. The location is superb, with Mt Aso towering in the background, and the quaint township of Takamori is close by. The family who run it always welcome us warmly, and we've become good friends over the years as our children have grown together. The building is warm and homely, with a large communal area and comfortable rooms. There are two large baths which are filled with onsen-water... very relaxing after a day's driving.
Best of all is the food, which is astounding. Mostly made from local produce, the mix of tastes always astounds, and nobody ever leaves hungry.
About our only complaint is the beds, which are rock-hard, so be prepared to ache a bit in the morning.
Any time of the year is good. We've been in winter to celebrate Christmas in the snow, and in summer to escape the city heat.

Date of stay: January 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Malcolm S
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband and I are Americans living in Japan. We visited the Minami Aso area to take in the natural beauty, hike the mountains in and around the caldera, and experience some new food. Pension Angelica was the answer.

Our train came in very late at night, but the pension owner met us at the train station so we wouldn't walk in the rain. The family recommended many places for us, drove us to trail heads, and spent the evenings laughing and talking of cultural differences, movies, and children.

The room was comfortable and included a lounge area with self-serve coffee, various teas, and hot chocolate. The bath area was wonderful and is filled with fresh spring water.

The family are experts at creating a warm and welcoming environment. We had fresh spring water (said to bring prosperity) and the most amazing food. Under the guise of a pension, this family produced five star quality food.

We stayed four nights, which is longer than most people. We didn't want to leave and can't wait to plan another vacation to the area where we will stay at Pension Angelica again.

Room tip: Rooms include both western style beds and tatami mats with futons.
Date of stay: April 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank swee12
Reviewed February 15, 2012

I have been visiting this pension for 3 years in a row. Each time, I am impressed by renewed discoveries - be it the nice bath with hot spring water, the hospitality of the family, the new menus of the delicious dishes.

This time, I learned that the natural hotspring water is transported to be placed in the bath. The water is very soft and feels good for the body. My friend got to buy organic rice grown in Aso through the arrangement of the family. Aso is such a great place for natural food and vegetable.

The dishes prepared at the pension are very special - not only delicious, but also exquisite. You can feel the chef really cares about how people enjoy his dishes. Every dish is designed for perfection, in my view. There are so many things to discover about the pension and its surroundings.

The stay at Angelica has always left me with happy memories and feelings. I am Japanese who travelled there from Tokyo, but wrote the comments in English so that non-Japanese readers get to know about this beautiful place.

Date of stay: February 2012