“Extraordinary”

471 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 287 helpful votes
“Extraordinary”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Amazing art and architecture. Fantastic scenery and surroundings. Lovely locals and great accommodation. Just the perfect place for art lovers.

Visited February 2014

• Turkish first
Bangkok, Thailand
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Quiet and cold in Feb: Perfect”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Really enjoyed our three days on the island. It snowed! Beautiful and rare. There were not many people so we got to experience the art in intimate privacy. Art everywhere!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank patinbkk
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Art is fab; transport, value for money & convenience are shocking.”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

The reviews that talk about expense are correct - I'm paying the price for a 5 star hotel and I can't get any food (easily) - its a car ride away. Its all just a little bit disorganised. I think my expectations were so high that I've been severely disappointed. For the price I'm paying (equivalent of a 5* in Tokyo) - I expected the shuttle bus to meet the ferry; for there to be a way to get food (and not western food). There are no TVs in the room - which I don't normally watch BUT I'm on an island with no nightlife, nothing to see or do outside the museums and it gets dark at 5pm. I think we need some options other than reading a good book. No WiFi or internet in the rooms.

As the island is dedicated to art I would have thought there was a pack to explain the art to you - there is a map. And eventually if you gather enough pieces of paper you can work out which art is where. But the general approach is "there's an area with some art in it in a museum/old Japanese house/bathhouse" - you should visit it. No info about what art, which artists, materials etc. Its really turn up and see what you see.

The museums are expensive - I just paid $20 to go to the ChiChu museum - I don't think I've ever paid money like that even for a named artist. Its also stupid things like they don't warn you that you need to take your boots off in the Chi Chu for 2 of the major exhibits.... which in winter weather isn't that easy or practical. And the ticket office is a 3 min walk away from the museum. If I wasn't staying in Bennesse House I'm not sure how you can easily get around - its pouring with rain so walking is a very miserable option. At least as a guest there's a shuttle bus to ferry you around. It is stunning though - even in this stormy weather - I'd come back again just to see it in the sun and warm. But next time I'd bring supplies and my own car! BTW - I didn't have hassles getting here - 2 trains and the ferry - I think it feels odd because its all done via head bobbing and smiling but you get here.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank allsort
Shanghai, China
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Hard to get to and expensive but 100% worth it!”
Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

It's a pain getting here and it's not cheap! Staying on the island would be perfect and if you have the budget for it i'd allow a few days. We didn't have the budget and any way of getting there incurs expense. We went for a day trip getting a train from kyoto, switching to a local train and then getting the ferry. We managed to arrive on the island by 11am, spent the day cycling around before leaving the island at 5pm. It took some doing transport wise but it can be done and it is worth it! (packed lunch is a must).

Visited June 2013
1 Thank juzzaj
Hong Kong, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“A nice walk on the island”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We took a ferry to the island in the morning which is only 20 minutes, it's a big ferry so the ride is very pleasant. Recommend to have lunch first or bring a sandwich as there are not much choice on the island.
The scenic routes are breathtaking. Besides the museums and the Benesse House art projects, one could just relax strolling along the beach line.
Take the bus to go major attractions to save time.

Visited December 2013